cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Champion Generator at BJs

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
For anyone interested, yesterday I went to BJ's Wholesale Club and they had the 4000W Champion RV generator (with the 30A 120V receptacle) with a price of $249 ($50 off the regular price). This is the best price I have seen on a good generator (I have had one for 7 yrs and its still working great).

They also had some good prices on larger Champion generators, like a 9375W electric start model for $599.

Steve
10 REPLIES 10

kendive
Explorer
Explorer
subcamper wrote:
For anyone interested, yesterday I went to BJ's Wholesale Club and they had the 4000W Champion RV generator (with the 30A 120V receptacle) with a price of $249 ($50 off the regular price). This is the best price I have seen on a good generator (I have had one for 7 yrs and its still working great).

They also had some good prices on larger Champion generators, like a 9375W electric start model for $599.

Steve

Those are nice Gensets. I have one that I added a Propane Kit making it tri-fuel and I use it at our offgrid solar cabin on our property.

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
I had one also. It was loud,but the one thing that bothered me is the 30 amp plug is hooked to a 25 amp circuit breaker, which doesn't make to much since.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I like mine
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
68db - A bit louder than the spendy inverter units, but, quieter than most contractor gens. You can stand next to it and carry on a conversation.

Mine came with a notice, it is not for use in California.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
djousma wrote:
How loud is it? All of these open frame generators seem to be very loud. I hate to think of spending big $$$ on a inverter generator like a honda or yamaha, but a loud genny kind defeats the boondocking experience with the racket.

Have you ever heard a gas powered golf cart?

Chinese import gens like Champion are about as loud as gas powered golf carts. They ARE NOT as noisy as the old style contractor gens which used Briggs and Stratton engines.

In many cases the Chinese import gens are STILL quieter than many auto engines idling. My pickups with unmodified exhaust systems will easily drown out my Chinese Honda clone gen..

As long as you are not planning to camp close to other campers I can't see why folks have such heart attacks over this subject..

Ours gets used while stopping at rest stops to microwave our food and when we stop for the night (overnighting or Wallydocking) to cool thr trailer down a bit before turning in for a few winks (no gen is not run overnight).

Plus ours when not traveling is our backup power at home (came in real handy this winter after some poles were taken out due to accidents leaving us without commercial power for nearly 8 hrs).

I personally have no cares or wants to camp in campgrounds without commercial power so you have no worries about my gen making noise..

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
thanks!
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's louder than one of the inverter generators, but much quieter than a "contractor" type generator. It won't replace an inverter unit if you are going after the quietest units.

I have also ran it day and night for 3 days straight without a hiccup when a windstorm knocked out our house power.

There are long discussion threads on the Champion generator.

I was just noting the low price that it was available at.

Steve

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess a 30a socket makes it an RV generator.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
How loud is it? All of these open frame generators seem to be very loud. I hate to think of spending big $$$ on a inverter generator like a honda or yamaha, but a loud genny kind defeats the boondocking experience with the racket.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a 3500/4000 for a few years now and recently upgraded to the remote start version that Cabelas had for $425.

While I wouldn't feel good using any generator around others, this one makes a wonderful unit for boondocking. Easy starting, lots of power and long lasting makes for a great generator.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator