Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check your new tires + Tonights view.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tonight's view.

I developed a slow leak in my right rear tire. I had planned on getting new tires when I got back to Seatroit. I decided to have the two rear tires replaced for now. I always look things over when somebody else works on my Truck. The tire shop had installed a proper load range E on the left But a load range C on the right. So the shop took the truck and camper back in but they didn't have another E in store. They reinstalled the old one till the new one arrived One is being shipped in tomorrow afternoon about 2 so I won a free no expense paid trip back into town to get the correct tire installed. 495.00 for the pair. TOYO 265 75 16 E 3415#. The current set have worked great. That was today's excitement here in Quartzsite...
11 REPLIES 11

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I care about others not wanting to cause an accident, but twice I had a well known tire shop leave the spare tire loose slamming around. Could have come off that silly cable 'T'.

Since I have heard of the spare hoist cable rusting and loosing the spare, I have since hung two short chains from the frame and then chain bind them across the spare tire. Much safer.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered in a Goodyear tire today and gave America's Tire the sheet of what I wanted LT265/70R17 as shown on my GVWR sticker.
Back to work and the receipt shows wrong load index. Back on the phone to correct the order.
Shall see if he has the guts to ask for the more money.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty easy to tell the age of shocks, all one has to do is look. If the paint is intact on them, they are pretty new and if there is no fluid leakage they are dampening fine.

I'm 68 and I still do 100% of my own maintenance on all my rolling stock, including farm tractors. None of it is hard so long as you have the right tools. Don't think I've had a tire mounted by a tire shop in a decade except farm tractor tires because they are huge and require special air powered tools to mount and dismount. Even at 68, I can manually break a tire off a rim and lever the carcass off though I prefer using the tire machine in the shop and I own a spin balancer as well.

I really don't trust any independent shop to do the work right. I know when I do it myself, it's always right. The exception to that would be warranty issues on out new cars. I let the dealer deal with that stuff. Not an electronics whiz but mechanical stuff, I do it all. Besides, it a lot cheaper and it gives me an excuse to get dirty fingernails.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

LamboDesigns
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
LamboDesigns tire dealer was at least attentive enough to check the tire specs before installing them. 😉

Too bad they aren't all like that. When I picked up the truck from the previous tire dealer the guy checking me out told me I needed new shocks and a few other things. I asked him what was wrong the the new shocks I had just installed a couple of months ago and he had this dumbfounded look on his face and said he didn't know but based on the number of miles I had on my truck they were due to be changed out and that was why he was recommending it. Needless to say... they lost 100% of my future business.
2013 Lance 855S with most options
2016 Ford F250 4x4 gas, 3.73, airbags, bigwig, homemade stableloads, 20" wheels with toyo open country II
Sold - 1989 Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I mount my own but if I was at any tire shop I'd be right there checking tires as well as mounting torque. Not fond of tire jockeys and impact wrenches.

I always progressively cross torque my lug nuts with never seize on the threads and then recheck after a few miles.

Nothing between you and a bad accident but wheel studs and lug nuts.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
LamboDesigns tire dealer was at least attentive enough to check the tire specs before installing them. 😉

No excuse for a tire dealer installing the wrong tires and having the customer drive away. :R

Sometimes it makes me wonder, honest mistake or deliberate deception?

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome view. Similarly I had a road hazard replacement of one tire...unfortunately I didn’t notice until several months later the replacement was a C range.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Great view.
Cal

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
LamboDesigns wrote:
Had something close happen so I agree that you should always check to make sure you get the tire you think you are getting. I ordered a new set of tires and dropped the truck off after they came in. When I dropped it off the owner said "lets get the tires so you can see them before we install" since it was a tire he recommended and I hadn't ran them before. He picks up the first one and says "oh ****... these are C range" and then verified he was indeed correct and all 4 were Cs. I'm about 5 blocks from his shop so it wasn't a problem and I was just glad to have it caught before they were installed. I wonder how many shops would actually catch something like this before the tire is installed.

This has happened to me before. That's why I check.

LamboDesigns
Explorer
Explorer
Had something close happen so I agree that you should always check to make sure you get the tire you think you are getting. I ordered a new set of tires and dropped the truck off after they came in. When I dropped it off the owner said "lets get the tires so you can see them before we install" since it was a tire he recommended and I hadn't ran them before. He picks up the first one and says "oh ****... these are C range" and then verified he was indeed correct and all 4 were Cs. I'm about 5 blocks from his shop so it wasn't a problem and I was just glad to have it caught before they were installed. I wonder how many shops would actually catch something like this before the tire is installed.
2013 Lance 855S with most options
2016 Ford F250 4x4 gas, 3.73, airbags, bigwig, homemade stableloads, 20" wheels with toyo open country II
Sold - 1989 Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“The tire shop had installed a proper load range E on the left But a load range C on the right. So the shop took the truck and camper back in but they didn't have another E in store.”

Sorry, I don’t believe they made a “mistake.” These are pros...crooked pros too. Didn’t have another E is why they installed the C. Most people wouldn’t have checked. If it’s a chain store REPORT IT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad