Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choice between two campers

Mysteryiam
Explorer
Explorer
The choice is between:

Keystone Passport 199ML or a R Vision 200S ?
Which would you choose and why ?

(If you need some background:
I'm looking to buy new. My TV is a 2011 Nissan Pathfinder V6; empty nester looking for a camper for only 2. I'm keeping to a 20-22 ft length maxium and a dry weight of 3500 or under. Looking for a walk around Queen bed with a slide need an oven too. I went to the Hershey Pa. show, and another NJ show just this weekend, so I've seen many manufactures and types of RVs.)
19 REPLIES 19

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
Well I may be biased because I have a keystone Passport 23RB. It is the just the DW and I so its plenty of room. A little to heavy for you.
We like the couch over the dinettes any day for comfort. During fair weather you usually are eating outside anyway. Walk around beds are nice too. Access to fridge would be a deal breaker for me too. We are happy with Keystone quality. You can get a swing out TV mount to resolve the TV issue. I am sure you noticed but the passport line has plenty of storage also. Good luck in our decision. Be aware out passport did not come with towel hooks or TP holders.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Keystone floorplan better with the couch and table. If it is just two of you, I think you will find it more comfortable than sitting at a dinette all the time. Usually that little table is adjustable also for eating at or for using as a coffee table.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

Mysteryiam
Explorer
Explorer
Rv.net friends
Thank you for all the information

I will go this weekend to see the Passport 199ML. It might make sence to go with that because it is hard to find R-Vision campers here in the North East NY. At the R-Vision web site, I searched for a dealer in New York, New Jersey and Pa., but there were none listed. How far am I willing to go to a dealership from where I live in NY ? That could be a problem for service issues.

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
The R-Vision WILL block your fridge when the slide is closed. This could be an important consideration if you pull over to have lunch, etc.

if true, that would be a deal breaker for me!

Us also. You've got to be able to get stuff.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would spend some time in both and see witch one YOU like. There are going to be +/- to both units. Not one person on the forum is going to make the payments other then you.

Mysteryiam
Explorer
Explorer
wrvond wrote:
I'd have to go with the Keystone Passport 199ML.
The problem with the R Vision is that the slide blocks the refrigerator when in. I can live without television, but don't want to extend the slide to reach the fridge when stopping for lunch. And that slide is very deep, especially compared to the Passport. While it creates a really nice sitting area (especially with the table removed), I have a distrust of any slide that is nearly as deep as the camper that is holding it up. The Keystone slide, being less deep, will weigh less and have fewer potential mechanical problems IMHO.

I like the way you think !

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
We are empty nesters and for me, I prefer the second one. I like the dinette over the couch and the shower versus tub. Just me though.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

Mysteryiam
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
pass port is better because of regular tub and not neoangle crap. But TV veiwing will be a pain on the couch,but coach more comfy.

The vision has the slide... More room and better TV angle. Neoangle showers stink IMO.. And not a fan of the dinette being used as a couch. Not comfortable

Jayco 221 has nice floor plan IMO for your weight and two people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8RFD8KJtJRg#t=1433

That jayco IS really nice, but too long and a little heavier than I want to go.

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
As some one said spend time in both.

R Vision 200S
You can open the slide while on the road and attached but easier to just put lunch in a small ice chest for short road stops.

Try the shower stall...our first had a tub like the other choice and you could not bend over and pickup a dropped bar of soap in it. Our garden shower is useable.

Be sure that the trailer GVWR is well with in the planned tow vehicle's rating. Do not go by dry weight.

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
I'd have to go with the Keystone Passport 199ML.
The problem with the R Vision is that the slide blocks the refrigerator when in. I can live without television, but don't want to extend the slide to reach the fridge when stopping for lunch. And that slide is very deep, especially compared to the Passport. While it creates a really nice sitting area (especially with the table removed), I have a distrust of any slide that is nearly as deep as the camper that is holding it up. The Keystone slide, being less deep, will weigh less and have fewer potential mechanical problems IMHO.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
It depends what you like the best. Eting on a table while sitting on a couch vs eating at a dinette or watching TV on a couch vs sitting at a table. We hang out at our dinette most of the time to read or check out maps to plan our hikes and eat. Check out each TT and determine if which works best for you.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
If R vision is still made by Monaco, I'd go with the Keystone. Not the same MOnaco since it was bought out.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

RetiredSFC_97
Explorer
Explorer
For me and my wife door number one would work better, but maybe not for you. I really like it. I find those dinette setups are a waste of space and not very comfy for a long period of time.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reason they make different models and floor plans is because everybody is different and we all have different needs. That being said, I don't like either one. I like to keep the dinette on the other side of the Travel Trailer so that I can look out at my campsite and the scenery when having breakfast or whatnot. But, that's just me. I do agree that having the television set off to the side of the seating place is going to get old quick. I had a TT like that once and I found I had to move the TV to a different place. Let us know what you decide and then take pictures of you using it ! They group here is great and will help any way they can.