cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CNA National Extended Warranty

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I am offered an extended warranty with CNA National. Does anyone have input on whether this is worth the $1,800 they want to charge me for it?

How about extended warranties in general?

Thanks.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.
15 REPLIES 15

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Always get a manuf. extended warranty. never get an aftermarket one.

I agree. In the past, I felt extended warranties were a waste of money. But, due to the complexity of new vehicles, they are well worth the cost. I'm sure there are exceptions, but overall, I would much rather have a warranty from the manufacturer rather than from some salesperson who calls me looking for a commission.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
I bought the CNA warranty when I got my truck (Ford) used at a Toyota dealership. I have had to use it once with absolutely no problems or issues. I just had to pay the deductible and they covered the shop & rental car.

CNA is one of the more reputable companies.

Thank you for passing that along.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought the CNA warranty when I got my truck (Ford) used at a Toyota dealership. I have had to use it once with absolutely no problems or issues. I just had to pay the deductible and they covered the shop & rental car.

CNA is one of the more reputable companies.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:
That's $1800 for 2 years?

I believe it extended the original 3/36,000 to 6/100 bumper to bumper.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
That's $1800 for 2 years?
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Shop the net for extended manufacturers warranty. The prices vary considerably for the same product. When you get the lowest price, take it to your local dealer and ask the finance manager to meet or beat the price. Sometimes they will. That way you'll have the manufacturers warranty and you'll have bought it from the dealership who will be fixing your truck. A win-win.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
As said, never buy 3rd party warranties. If you want one at all, get the one your manufacturer stands behind.

The 3rd party warranties will fight against paying anything every step of the way. Even when the repair is obviously covered, they will play games to avoid paying. For example, you take your truck in for a covered repair. The shop (hopefully the dealers shop) will have to diagnose the issue, then seek authorization to make the repair. Might be a simple part to replace, but they are not authorized to make the repair until they get the warranty company involved. Meanwhile, your truck is sitting on the operating table, and your technician is pulled off to work on the next patient. Warranty company drags their feet with an approval, hoping you will get impatient and authorize the repair on your own. They have plenty of delaying tactics and they will keep you and your shop swinging in the breeze.

Compare to a manufacturers warranty, where the tech diagnoses the problem and usually has an immediate authorization to make the needed repair.

There is much more to it, like the 3rd party warranties that file BK every few years, reorganizing under a different name, but you get the idea.

Shop around for your Dodge warranty. Prices vary, and you do not have to buy it from your original dealership.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to ask about the factory one on Friday.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always get a manuf. extended warranty. never get an aftermarket one.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMOP. IF you want a extended warranty. Get it from the folks that made your vehicle. Never trust the ones you get in the mail, or are called on the phone about. In fact. Ford will tell you that most of those are scams.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I used to avoid extended warrantees, and still do for most things. I bought my daily driver as a pre owned, and bought the extended warrantee because I got a great price on the vehicle and the warrantee wasn't that expensive.

To date, I've saved twice what I paid for the warrantee in covered repairs.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Edmonds has a decent piece, on understanding extended warranties. I would google it. First thing to understand is, they are not warranties, they are an insurance product. Two very different things ( with very different laws). They tend to more difficult to get them to pay for anything, than say a true manufactures warranty.

If you deicide to get it, they should come down on the price fairly easily. Dealer gets a big cut. Might want to offer somewhere in the 1000 to 1200 dollar range.
see what happens. Dealers point of view some money, better than no money. I don't know how low you can buy it for, but I will bet dollars to navy beans you can get it for quite a bit less than 1800

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
Take the $1800 and put it in a savings account; when something breaks,use it to buy the part and fix it yourself. Extended warranties, in my opinion (and I fell for one once) are a scam! They will find any reason to deny you the warranty, ie: "you didn't maintain your roof every 6 months so the leak is on you". You may have to prove you had maintenance done frequently, even if you do it yourself. It is a money maker for the dealers! And, if you decide you don't want it and ask for a refund, then it will be pro-rated and applied to the end of the loan.

Thanks, I passed on the one offered on our 5er. Here I'm asking about the Ram truck. I should have been more clear in my original post.
2016 Grand Design 317RST