cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachman or Jayco

fun_in_the_sun1
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to upgrade my TT and I am looking for your opinion on buying a Coachman Freedom Express (Liberty Edition) or a Jayco White Hawk. Thoughts?
25 REPLIES 25

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Owners of the two brands rate them nearly dead even on this web site where owners rate their own RVs based on standard list of criteria
http://www.rv-coach.com/RV/manufacturers/survey/rate_your_rv_results.html
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Roadrash450 wrote:
Though I agree with Bumpy and Woodglue on the TPO as a better product, I wouldn't run from the rubber roofs. The EPDM material carries carries a 12 year warraranty and will last 20 plus years with just regular soap and water cleaning a few times a year.

What models of both are you looking at?

you agree that TPO is preferable. why then would you not get the better product as plenty are available at comparable prices. don't get sucked in on the 12 year warranty.
bumpy

sodakfisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Although I did not look real closely at the White Hawks when looking for my new TT, I still did look at them, along with most other Jayco lines. I have not seen a Liberty Edition, buy I am intimately familiar with the Freedom Express line, having been an owner for 3 years.

I had some relatively minor build/quality issues with my Coachmen that were just the result of sloppiness at the factory. However, once I resolved those issues myself, it served me well for 3 years. This would be an industry-wide issue, and not unique to Coachmen/Forest River.

I think they are comparable lines overall, and I think you would be happy with either. I would think that your floorplan preference would be the deciding factor. If floorplan is not an issue, then based on real world experience rather than online research, my personal opinion is that I would give the overall advantage and preference to the Jayco.
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Mega Cab 4x4 6.7L CTD
2013 Jayco Eagle 324BTS
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express LTZ 230BH + Equal-i-zer 1000/10000 (SOLD)

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Where are the Coachmen fans? It's Coachmen not coachman.:B. As far as warranty Jayco could offer a 10 year warranty & I would still buy Coachmen. Jayco never honored any of their warranty for my Jayco. I traded that piece of junk. Of course I could have driven over a thousand miles & paid an inspection fee & they said they may cover it

Roadrash450
Explorer
Explorer
Though I agree with Bumpy and Woodglue on the TPO as a better product, I wouldn't run from the rubber roofs. The EPDM material carries carries a 12 year warraranty and will last 20 plus years with just regular soap and water cleaning a few times a year.

What models of both are you looking at?

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
has a rubber roof. I wouldn't want it myself.
bumpy

I wasn't aware of this bumpy. Thanks for the heads up!

Original Poster, I'd be looking for a TT with a TPO roof as they're Energy Star rated and carry a 12 year warranty (if the roof is maintained properly)

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

I wasn't aware of this bumpy. Thanks for the heads up!

OP, I'd be looking for a TT with a TPO roof as they're Energy Star rated and carry a 12 year warranty.

WppdGlue

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at them both. The Jayco would have a slight edge with the 2-year warranty. But overall I'd say it's a coin toss.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
No experience with Coachman, but Jaycos are generally well built and has a solid reputation. Coachman has been around a long time too. Which do you prefer, and which fits your needs better? Like one floorplan better? Ultimately comes down to your choice. Happy trails!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
Based on a little research, I'd say the Coachmen would be the best choice (imo)

Coachman Freedom Express

WoodGlue

bumpy

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Based on a little research, I'd say the Coachmen would be the best choice (imo)

Coachman Freedom Express

WoodGlue