cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cover for flooring in camper

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We track in mud, dirt and water from being outside into our camper. The camper has laminate woodgrain and rugs that snap in for cleaning. We want to keep our camper from looking like a pigsty. Does anyone have any ideas? The plastic people use in tubs might cause mildew and other rugs get dirty too. I was thinking sisal but dirt will get through as will water. My best idea has been the plastic for tubs and then have a rug next to the door to wipe our feet. Also, my husband is sloppy with his coffee and we have a dog. The length is 86" and has varying widths, the narrowest being 19.25". Thanks and happy trails.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
17 REPLIES 17

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
We get a 6'x2' runner and a 4'x5' cheap area rug at Home Depot then pitch and replace as needed. There is usually a color or pattern that goes well with our dรฉcor. We have vinyl floor and the carpet feels warmer on the tootsies on those cold days.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
We had a fitted carpet in our Lance and that will not work for hikers/kayakers, I took it out and rolled it up for safe keeping.

I then installed the sticky backed vinyl look alike wood flooring, it looks great and now we have a long runner rug that catches anything we track in, but we also take off our boots outside and carry them in and set them in the shower.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

FlemingJason
Explorer
Explorer
Buddy vacuuming is the best option for cleaning carpet or rugs other than vacuuming try to do steaming which completely cleans your custom rugs.

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your suggestions. I love the idea of a rear awning but the ones the builder had were expensive and difficult to install. And, a mini shop vac sounds cool, sounds cool but we are short on space. We have a small whisk broom/dust pan combo. I like the idea of small rug samples and that is what we were using but they separate and dirt gets down in between. We do use a carpet scrap we use by the doorway that is quite thick. I think we will get another to put on the platform that the steps attach to so we can get most of the dirt off outside then shake it and bring it in when we leave the campground. Thanks again.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Our floor is vinyl. At the door we have a small piece of carpet that we use as a doormat. When we come in from outside, we take off our shoes and leave them on the mat. Every day before we get on the road, DW removes the mat, shakes it out, and sweeps the floor with a dustpan and brush. That does the job. But we don't have any dogs. I'm not sure what to do about them.

sleekcrafter
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used a HD vinyl with a stone tile print for flooring. We have a carpet scrap we keep in the step well, and a throw rug down the center. The entry mat does the debris removal before camper entry.
2001 7.3L F350 CC SB DRW BTS auto, Elkhorn 11X TC, 31 Jayco Designer, 1979 Belco Tunnel Dragster DragBoat

Owyheedog
Explorer
Explorer
We just use a simple clear vinyl runner. It is easy to clean and easy to remove when the need arises to clean under it.
2001 Dodge 3500 DRW, 2010 Outfitter Apex 9.5, 99 Jeep TJ dragging behind.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
A large rug outside, a mat at the threshold, throw rugs inside, a small hand vac and we still get dirt in. However, it's very fast to remove the dirt; just shake all the rugs, sweep and vac the rest. Maybe 5 or 6 minutes from dirt to spotless. The rugs can be flipped if coffee is spilled, then washed when you arrive home. A Sham-Wow is an awesome rag to use to wipe down stuff. Dampen, wipe and rinse. They rinse easy and pick up EVERYTHING. I can use the sham-wow to wipe down the outside too...

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
A few years back we carpeted a room in our house using carpet tiles from flor.com. We had a couple extra carpet tiles and decided to use them in our camper, I'm tempted to get a few more for the camper. They are easy to pull out and clean after a trip. Along with that I have a tiny 2.5 gallon shop vac I keep in the camper, which came in handy on a recent Oregon coast beach trip.
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."
-Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
My solution was to get enough of the 4x4 cardboard sheets that seperate stacks of paper towel pallets from Costco. Lay them on the floor and tape them together to make a pattern of the needed carpet. Then do some shopping for big enough carpet remnants for a low price. Cut the rug to the pattern, make sure you understand the layout when you draw the lines on the back of carpet, and lay it down. When it gets too dirty to vacuum clean, toss it and install a new one. Two dogs, two humans, no way to keep a TC pristine.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe not a solution that fits your needs considering you are in a pop-up and a very nice one at that; we have a rear awning that provides an area to towel off the dog and let's me get out of my wet, muddy, and occasionally fishy gear before entering the TC. I recall a thread on here where somebody was talking about mounting an awning on a pop-up.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Revised reply. I looked at clear vinyl runners that one could trim but who wants to feel cold plastic on their feet when you first wake up? I looked all over Amazon and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OURSN4/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17GFU1438B6RG

It is just 2" too wide at the narrowest part but we can just fold it up along the wall. It is just the right length at 84". A bit expensive but colorful and warm to morning feet. And, it goes with our Southwest decor. It is almost too nice but will protect the flooring underneath. We do have several towels in the truck and in the camper to wipe down the dog. He is a big guy with big feet. We also have a small rug that will be placed near the door for wiping feet.

Thanks for your help. Happy trails.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Bedlam
We remove shoes before entering our homes on foundation or wheels. The dogs have a paw wiping towel before they can enter.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
One of the only options that we declined was the carpet kit that AF offers with their TCs. We stuck with the basic vinyl floor and its very easy to clean. Sweep it out or wipe it down once every few days and we are good to go. We had carpet in our last RV and I know how dirty that can get, and much harder to keep clean.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods