cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachman or Jayco

fun_in_the_sun1
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to upgrade my TT and I am looking for your opinion on buying a Coachman Freedom Express (Liberty Edition) or a Jayco White Hawk. Thoughts?
25 REPLIES 25

Vvvv1010
Explorer
Explorer
You can dive as deep as you want or barely touch the waters and find something wrong with all brands.

Wife, daughters, and I purchased the RV that we felt most comfortable with. We seriously did not research or were critical of the brand. We were just happy with one... and that is what counts.

I think you will be happy with either the Coachmen or the Jayco White Hawk...both are great looking.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Two 10'0 Kayaks

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
All other things being equal (massed produced with low cost materials at breakneck speed by human beings that are more concerned with quantity than quality)

This is not true for all Travel Trailer manufacturers.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
The White Hawks looked nice but didn't have a floor plan that suited us.

The Freedom Express had the advantage of Azdel panels in the side walls (and rear?). But I didn't like the heat & ducting in the smaller one I looked at (no floor ducts, no duct in the bath?), and I never did find out the furnace btu's of either trailer.

We have the WhiteHawk 27 DSRL. We liked it because the floorplan was similar in layout to the fifth wheel we had, albeit smaller (especially in the bedroom). To answer your question, the WhiteHawk has an Atwood Hydroflame furnace, 25000 BTU. It does keep the trailer warm, at least in a Florida winter. No floor duct in the 27DSRL either, except the bedroom.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
The White Hawks looked nice but didn't have a floor plan that suited us.

The Freedom Express had the advantage of Azdel panels in the side walls (and rear?). But I didn't like the heat & ducting in the smaller one I looked at (no floor ducts, no duct in the bath?), and I never did find out the furnace btu's of either trailer.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
All other things being equal (massed produced with low cost materials at breakneck speed by human beings that are more concerned with quantity than quality) let the floorplan that best suits your needs be your guide. The gee whiz amenities are OK, but they won't last forever. I have a Jayco WhiteHawk now and am so far pleased with it, but I don't see where the fit, finish and visible build quality is any better/worse than Coachmen.

pwrplay
Explorer
Explorer
We where looking at both of these mfgs and we chose the Coachman 292BHDS. We liked the outdoor kitchen and features of the Coachman over all. The Jayco 2 Year warranty wasn't a deal breaker as most issues crop up in the first year of use anyway. Plus the Coachman dealer is a lot closer to us than the Jayco dealer which was another deciding factor for us.
2015 Grand Design Reflection 323BHS
Curt Q16 w/roller
2009 Ford F250 Super Duty CC 4x4 6.8L V10 4.10 "Big Bubba"
2014 Nights Camped: 42
2013 Nights Camped: 32

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but being rather new here I'm wondering about the rubber roof thing. I've had them on my TT's and had no problems YET. What kind of problems can that type of roof cause?
Gary in Western NC

DarylSue
Explorer
Explorer
3 Jayco's here....no problems with service when needed or really with quality....but then every manufacture has their issues....purchased new JayFlight in April based soley on floorplan and past experience with dealer and Jayco.....find what fits you best and create those memories!
Daryl/Sue, part time kids and 2 GC

2013 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 4x4
w/HD tow pkg.
Voyager BC
Reese Dual Cam/WD

steeleshark
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Coachmen 2012 292bhds Liberty Edition. You cannot beat all the options that is included on this rig for the money. My whole family has enjoyed it. I only had one warranty issue. The rubber roof started peeling on top of the slide. I noticed it when cleaning. Took it to the dealer, fixed no questions asked. The other thing I love about the Coachmen is the outdoor kitchen. The Jayco's setup doesn't even compare if you are looking to get that option. On a side note, no matter what unit you purchase, do a complete walk through testing everything. I have found that all manufacturers have a bad apple here and there.
2011 Nissan Armada SL w/Tow Package
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express (292BHDS) Liberty Edition

BigDaddyHfx
Explorer
Explorer
As a Coachmen owner I can say I love my trailer but the quality control really sucks. If you buy a Coachmen make sure you do a decent walkthru. Test all the systems including pressurising the water system, making sure the slide is properly aligned when open, and the springs aren't flat on one side. (just some of the QA stuff they missed )

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
tempforce wrote:
jayco quality has dropped during this economic slowdown. hopefully they will return to their former higher standards and regain their higher standingโ€ฆ

Gee, I hope you don't get flamed and pounded into the ground like I do whenever I make a suggestion like this!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
since forest river bought coachman trailer manufacturing division the quality has improved dramatically. as a former coachman repair/service tech. the changes have been welcomed..
i would currently rate the units equal with minor differences.
jayco quality has dropped during this economic slowdown. hopefully they will return to their former higher standards and regain their higher standingโ€ฆ
so currently the colors and floor plan would be what would make my choice..
happy trails..

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

Roadrash450
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Roadrash450 wrote:
Though I agree with Bumpy and Woodglue on the TPO as a better product, I wouldn't run from the rubber roofs. The EPDM material carries carries a 12 year warraranty and will last 20 plus years with just regular soap and water cleaning a few times a year.

What models of both are you looking at?

you agree that TPO is preferable. why then would you not get the better product as plenty are available at comparable prices. don't get sucked in on the 12 year warranty.
bumpy

I chose not to go with a brand that had TPO because I am fully capable of replacing the rubber roof if needed. Didn't get sucked into the 12yr warranty as I know full well that it is only for the EPDM itself and nothing else, just like the 12yr warranty of a TPO roof, material only. Just used the warranty number as to when roof repair may need to be required. Treated as buying shingles for a house, could have bought the 25yr shingles, went with the 50yr ones instead of going life time with metal roofing. All on what your willing to accept when it comes to maintenance when they all eventually need it!

OP, as stated already, which one suits you better in layout and options. That would be the one I would lean too as they are of the same build type, except for the roof of course.;)

Holly-n-Matt
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Coachmen Freedom Express 310BHDS - let me know if you have any specific questions. ๐Ÿ™‚