cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coffee maker off inverter and battery in a truck camper

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
We all like our coffee and a recent post about using a coffee maker and an inverter with 100 AH battery got some negative opinions about if it even would work.

So I did the test with a 1002 Watt hour battery and a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter..This battery has less watt hours than a 100 AH battery..The Jackery has 1002 watt hours and a 100 AH battery has 1200 watt hours.

This is the new coffee pot I bought to use in my TC..Mr. Coffee 5-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker, 25 oz. Mini Brew, Brew Now or Later, Black..So here it goes!

I charged big Jack to 100% for the test..

I plugged in the pot and took the reading on how many watts it was pulling..539 watts and it never went over that at any time..

6 minutes later I had four cups of hot coffee made and it only used 6% of the 1002 watt hour battery..

And the clock on the coffee machine shows the time it took to brew up a pot..

I hope this helps someone who like me,likes a hot pot of coffee out of a coffee maker..No generator required with an Inverter and a good battery..

Next test is with a 3qt Instapot off the same setup..Don't take me wrong,I like my little generators but sometimes there a pain and noisy pulling a big load for there rating.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
59 REPLIES 59

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:

Everyone has there favorite coffee and I have had it over a fire/sheepherder style with an raw egg for some of the grounds/electric percolator and ceramic,one of my favorite ways to perk..But now it is a 6 minute Mr Coffee 5-cup and everyone is happy off the Jackery 1000..

They are spendy but for $849 on sale you get a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter/a mppt controller for solar/a regulated 12V socket and all that ads up to 23 pounds total in one handy package..1000 watt hours and a 100ah battery has 1200 watt hours with only 50% useable..

Another reason was power outages and one we recently had..I have like 5 generators but when the power went out,I had no gasoline,used it all in the lawnmower and for saw gas..Lesson learned..None of the gas stations could pump gas..I did have kerosine for our Kerosine lights,so we had lights..The wood stove made cooking food possible but with our stove,you have to get it so hot,it runs me outside..LOL..There was enough gas in my Honda to use one time for the freezer and refer in the kitchen..No electricity for the internet and batteries on our phones were low..It just happened and the TC was our only option if it continued...

As mentioned here,I want my coffee on the go to be exactly the same as I get at home anywhere I am and without having to setup and mess with a generator..These little power stations do that for the way I travel in the hills...

Last but not least,I am always the first one up and don't want to wake up the bear with a generator for coffee so I could say,this Jackery has saved my life and made the days go good without cranky people..LOL..:B

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..

Zactly...thatโ€™s why we have French press at home, in the camper, and one at the cabin. No noise, no electricity, just really good coffee in less than 10 mins.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Itโ€™s really funny when people say โ€œthatโ€™s way too much money to spend on being able to use an electric coffeemakerโ€ but they have over $100,000 into their rig to go camping. Often financed with interest, and depreciating all the time.
Folks spend seemingly crazy amounts of money on frame tie-downs when theyโ€™re nothing you canโ€™t make with a few pieces of steel, a welder and a chopsaw. Thatโ€™s universally accepted and recommended here.
Lots of people also drop $4-$5 on a cup of espresso every day. Thatโ€™s pretty expensive.

If Iโ€™m gonna โ€œcampโ€ in a ridiculously expensive rig so I have all the comforts of home, which to me includes using my electric coffeemaker, so be it!

Really,that reminds me of the guy that spent $2K for a hunting rifle and had a powder company load up some premium ammo but put a $79 scope on that 2K rifle..Two shots and the scope failed and he was 1500 miles from home in the backcountry..He had to borrow the guides well used 30-06..LOL

Everyone has there favorite coffee and I have had it over a fire/sheepherder style with an raw egg for some of the grounds/electric percolator and ceramic,one of my favorite ways to perk..But now it is a 6 minute Mr Coffee 5-cup and everyone is happy off the Jackery 1000..

They are spendy but for $849 on sale you get a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter/a mppt controller for solar/a regulated 12V socket and all that ads up to 23 pounds total in one handy package..1000 watt hours and a 100ah battery has 1200 watt hours with only 50% useable..

Another reason was power outages and one we recently had..I have like 5 generators but when the power went out,I had no gasoline,used it all in the lawnmower and for saw gas..Lesson learned..None of the gas stations could pump gas..I did have kerosine for our Kerosine lights,so we had lights..The wood stove made cooking food possible but with our stove,you have to get it so hot,it runs me outside..LOL..There was enough gas in my Honda to use one time for the freezer and refer in the kitchen..No electricity for the internet and batteries on our phones were low..It just happened and the TC was our only option if it continued...

As mentioned here,I want my coffee on the go to be exactly the same as I get at home anywhere I am and without having to setup and mess with a generator..These little power stations do that for the way I travel in the hills...

Last but not least,I am always the first one up and don't want to wake up the bear with a generator for coffee so I could say,this Jackery has saved my life and made the days go good without cranky people..LOL..:B

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane works everywhere.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
moka pot, stainless model

No consumables

Works on various heat sources.

Can make coffee strong enough to float a mule shoe.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s really funny when people say โ€œthatโ€™s way too much money to spend on being able to use an electric coffeemakerโ€ but they have over $100,000 into their rig to go camping. Often financed with interest, and depreciating all the time.
Folks spend seemingly crazy amounts of money on frame tie-downs when theyโ€™re nothing you canโ€™t make with a few pieces of steel, a welder and a chopsaw. Thatโ€™s universally accepted and recommended here.
Lots of people also drop $4-$5 on a cup of espresso every day. Thatโ€™s pretty expensive.

If Iโ€™m gonna โ€œcampโ€ in a ridiculously expensive rig so I have all the comforts of home, which to me includes using my electric coffeemaker, so be it!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I've been making coffee this way for a few years. I have a 1000w inverter and we have a Keurig B130 hotel model. It draws up to 60a when making a cup but it's only for about 45 seconds. We usually make 4 cups in the morning and it hardly touches the batteries.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

JtTribe
Explorer
Explorer
To my knowledge and experience Jackery is one of the lightest with good amount of output of course there is othwr systems with more output but they also are less portable as they weigh more and their size increases as well. Jackery is great all around in my opinion. Anyone else agree?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or use propane and skip the whole process. It also heats up the rig as an added bonus.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I had a portable inverter/battery unit. I hated it because it was extremely heavy and difficult to move around. I never used it in my RVs though.

Enter Lithium batteries..Jackeries largest power station only weighs 22-23 pounds but I know what your talking about,I have a group 24 agm in a smart battery box with volt meter and two marine sockets and it is heavy compared...I'm afraid I'll break the plastic handle on the box, so I use the end handles..

After our last power outage, I wanted something that did not require gasoline for the house..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I had a portable inverter/battery unit. I hated it because it was extremely heavy and difficult to move around. I never used it in my RVs though.

For RV usage, I prefer an onboard battery/inverter system. I've been using onboard inverters since my days of working at a major inverter manufacturer, dating back to 1993 when I installed a 1000 watt inverter in a cargo trailer.

Here's my newest inverter installation, a Victron 2000
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Specta,I here 'Ya but I don't have a built in gen set,just portables that has to go in the cab,on a trailer/hitch haul or in the door,then there is the setting it up to plug it in..With these solar generators,there ready to go where ever you have them...No setting up like a portable,then there is there use in other places like the house /camping way back in via Atv's or any place you choose..

But I here 'Ya on just pushing the button like I did in a couple Class C's..Very convenient...

Its actually pretty cool that you can do that. They just keep making more impressive stuff all the time.

I've done the percolator type on the stove and boiling water and pouring thru Melita filter and don't care for either one.

I'm a slow coffee drinker and one of them keeps the coffee way to hot and the other to me is just a pain.

My first camper had a divorced generator and I carried it on my ATV trailer. The the cord from the camper could reach it without having to move the generator. It worked pretty good. Probably next best to it being a built in.

I bought my current camper because it had a built in generator, even though it didn't work.

I'm not a big coffee drinker. I make it the same way I make it at home, in my little Mr Coffee. ๐Ÿ˜‰

To make that little generator button function properly cost me $3000. :E

For me that was money well spent.;)
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow. 5 pages to make a cup of coffee. Makes our French press seem way to easy.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

JtTribe
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah these really do have a special place in what we do.
I wonder how many more use these products!?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Specta,I here 'Ya but I don't have a built in gen set,just portables that has to go in the cab,on a trailer/hitch haul or in the door,then there is the setting it up to plug it in..With these solar generators,there ready to go where ever you have them...No setting up like a portable,then there is there use in other places like the house /camping way back in via Atv's or any place you choose..

But I here 'Ya on just pushing the button like I did in a couple Class C's..Very convenient...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04