cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman or StarCraft

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm stuck between a 2013 Coleman CTS274BH and a 2013 StarCraft Autumn ridge 278BH. They seem to be fairly equal as far as bells and whistles, but the StarCraft is a couple thousand cheaper. Is the Coleman that much more of a TT than the StarCraft?
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
11 REPLIES 11

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned earlier, the 2014 models have 2 year warranty.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. I went yesterday to see the Coleman in person and I don't think I like some of the ideas in it. I think I'll go with a Jayco or StarCraft.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
The Starcrafts are again being manufactured in their own facilities Owned by Jayco but independent. As for the price difference....Thor does not OWN the Coleman name...Coleman licenses the use of the name on many items...even hot tubs....Im sure they get a fee for each unit built with the name on it

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Starcrafts also have 2 yr. warranty.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new Colman isn't the same as the old Coleman we grew to love. Now it's a Dutchman with a Coleman sticker on it. Then the new Starcraft is in the same category only it's a Jayco with a Starcraft sticker on it and a one year instead of two year warranty..Given a choice I think the Jayco would be the best choice, only for the longer warranty. Second choice would be the Starcraft. Same trailer. JMHO

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:

A lot of posters lately have reported lots of problems with the Winnebago TTs. Search the forum for those posts.

I haven't found this to be true based upon searches I just did on this forum and others. Prior to purchasing our Winnebago, I spent a lot of time looking for reviews, posts, comments about the Winnebago towable line. Sure, there are a few....one in particular that sounded like the plumbing tech didn't tighten too much! And...I had to do a little tightening on some or our plumbing fittings, but I still find the trailer to be pretty well constructed.

Now, if you look at problems with Winnebago motor homes, there are lots to find, but then again, Winnebago produces one heck of a lot of motorhomes.

As to Coleman vs. Starcraft, based upon my experiences with Starcraft pop-ups (13+ years), I was pleased with their products aside from one trailer I owned, and Starcraft handled my warranty problems quickl and painlessly! We looked at a few Colemans when we were looking at trailers and the Coleman's seemed to be "budget" trailers, but on par with many others. If buying new, the 2 year warranty offered by Jayco and Starcraft is a plus. We hoped to find a Jayco but they just didn't have a model to compare with our 2201DS by Winnebago...mainly storage space for a trailer under 27'. And, Jayco seems to be taking a lot of short cuts on their light weight trailers such as no shower surrounds and smaller awnings.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I read the thread title and naturally assumed this was a discussion on popup campers - LOL.

Unfortunately I haven't seem any Starcrafts lately. The only Colemans I saw were at Camping World, and I was impressed with how they looked and seemed to be built.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Starcraft tt and can honestly tell you they do make a quality product that they do stand behind. Owned by Jayco, both companies have made trailers for years.

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I'm not really interested in the Winnebago TT's, but thanks for the suggestion.
I can get the StarCraft for almost $2,000 less than the Coleman. They both seem to be well though out TT's, but just wondering why the Coleman would cost so much more.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2012 Coleman CT250GS. This is my first TT. I know people who have a 2012 StarCraft so I can compare quite fairly. I didn't have a lot of warranty issues, but looking online at the models you give, I'd take the Coleman. Fit and finish between the two are very similar, but the Coleman has the escape door for the bunks and seems to be better appointed. If you have a specific question, I'd be happy to answer.

A lot of posters lately have reported lots of problems with the Winnebago TTs. Search the forum for those posts.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned Coleman and Starcraft trailers over the years and both have been good. Coleman is now manufactured by Dutchman which is a subsidiary of Thor, a reputable company with good customer support.

Starcraft has always been a solid company with great trailers for many years. More recently Jayco bought Starcraft. Jayco has a very good reputation and builds many entry level but well built trailers.

My inclination is to go with Starcraft as the better of the two although they are fairly close.

Have you looked into the Winnebago Minnie series? They're rather new to the market but seem much better construction that most other light weights.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)