Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Collapsing the tent trailer

Sneiller
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I just purchased a used Jayco tent trailer and was told by the seller that in order to collapse the top and latch it for travel, it is best to do it in stages which takes time. I have found this to be true, but it seems like it takes an awfully long time. I'm talking over an hour at least, and then having to put some weight on it to get it to latch. I hate doing that, as it seems I could cause some damage in some way. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or if there is something I can do to make the process easier? Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I do the 1/2 way, tuck, about 6 inches tuck, and all the way down method as well. One thing you may try if it isn't closing all the way easily, is on the tuck at the 1/2 way point, get the canvas as far towards the middle of the Pup as possible so it isn't bunched up along the sides as much. You may need to make another stop at about 12 inches and do a tuck as far to the middle as possible also.

I do have to let the top "settle" a little because of the memory foam topper as well, but after a minute or two with no tension on the lift mechanism, it latches easily. We can go from completely set up/hooked up to ready to roll in about 10 minutes if I'm really hurrying (read starting to rain). Normal speed is about 20 minutes from start to finish.

fmattox73
Explorer
Explorer
I have absolutely NO trouble with binding, both in lifting and lowering the roof unit with the stabilizers out and set. I always figured that having it straight and level was the best way to go, and would result in the best performance of the lifting system. As well as reducing wear and tear and misalignment.

Frank

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
No, the stabs on some PUPs can bind the lift system.

Adam
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the stabs are in way of the cables ? If it's level both ways, the roof lands where it's supposed to. Both our trailers were used and didn't have manuals. I've had 20 years experience with them. Repairing, rebuilding, that what you get for buying an inexpensive used, and modifying for rough forestry roads.
Adventure before dementia

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
I found leaving the stabilizers down had the top coming down even, making tucking a little easier. Trying to get as much loose tent in the center also helps, stopping part way to fold.

Read you Owners Manual. Some manufactures advise to lift and lower with the stabilizers UP.

Adam
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
I found leaving the stabilizers down had the top coming down even, making tucking a little easier. Trying to get as much loose tent in the center also helps, stopping part way to fold.
Adventure before dementia

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Beer Belly wrote:
fmattox73 wrote:
My wife and I bought our 2010 Palomino 4124 in 2013 shortly after we had bought a GMC Terrain for towing a small camper. Paid $6200 for it.
It was in excellent shape inside and out. It takes me (Wife Handicapped) about an hour to set up, and about an hour to pack away.
I'm 75, and usually take a few breaks during the process. (Both Ways)
As described by others, I park it, chock it, level and stabilize it, then crank up the top manually (with Air Conditioning on roof)
Then roll out the beds, put in the bed braces and roll the sink and stove top area into place. Done. well, not quite, but the rest only takes a few minutes.
Since I bought it, I added the Air Conditioning myself,and I have installed brakes and replaced the tires and battery. That's it. We
have been enjoying out pop up very much since we bought it, but I'm
probably getting close to the point where I'll have to give it up.

But for now, we are off tomorrow for another 5 day adventure in Arizona.

Frank

God Bless you both Frank....not sure I'd be up for all this at 75 years of age

X2
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
fmattox73 wrote:
My wife and I bought our 2010 Palomino 4124 in 2013 shortly after we had bought a GMC Terrain for towing a small camper. Paid $6200 for it.
It was in excellent shape inside and out. It takes me (Wife Handicapped) about an hour to set up, and about an hour to pack away.
As described by others, I park it, chock it, level and stabilize it, then crank up the top manually (with Air Conditioning on roof)
Then roll out the beds, put in the bed braces and roll the sink and stove top area into place. Done. well, not quite, but the rest only takes a few minutes.
Since I bought it, I added the Air Conditioning myself,and I have installed brakes and replaced the tires and battery. That's it. We

Frank

God Bless you both Frank....not sure I'd be up for all this at 75 years of age
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

fmattox73
Explorer
Explorer

Frank

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
We do like others mostly do......drop it down a bit, tuck in, drop it some more......usually in 3 stages.....then when it's down, we go for a walk, or last bathroom trip, and then latch it down after the air has been purged from all the gaps in the folds of the canvas from folding it down.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will get better at it with practice, if you don't give up.

It sometimes takes more than 30 minutes to get my motorhome de-camped and ready to move, but my wife and I have done it in less than 5 minutes if just driving a few hundred feet to the dump station.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Owned a PUP for 17 years before upgrading to a TT.

Make sure everything is clear for the bunk ends to slide in.
Undo all outside fastners.
Undo all elastic banding holding the bunk end fabric in place.
Drop the roof support bars to pop out ends.
Push both bunk ends in.
What I would do is lower the roof (at a pretty good pace, but I had 17 years of practice) I would get to the point where the roof is about 12" from the main body and walk around tucking in all the fabric.
Continue to lower roof until I got slack in the steel cable. That tells me that its not going down any more.
Walk around the trailer and give any exposed fabric a final tuck and simply lean on the roof while you latch each corner.

Should only take about 10 minutes.

Also with the awning, I would unzip the bag prior to raising the roof. (i had a velcro strap in the center of the awning, inside the bag to hold it in place.)

And at tear down. right before I was ready to lower the roof, i would fold up the awning legs. (it was a nice awning, no strings or poles. it was a carefree of colorado. very similar to what on most TT's) I would let the awning hang and lower the roof to a height that was reachable for me to roll the awning up and tuck it inside the bag and zip it up. I then would continue with the tear down process above.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome from another Oregonian Sneiller. What part of Oregon?

regis101 put it briefly & best. Just getting the roof down & latched shouldn't take longer than about 10 minutes.
Dave

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Roy B has learned the value of Rubbermaid Action Packers I see. I swear by them and occasionally at them (weight) but it is the first thing out (by door) and last thing in the pop up. The big one holds all my stuff including lynx, toolbox, tent stakes, lights, batteries (19.2 Sears)for set up and a few propane tanks etc.