cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Comparing New Tires for trailer

Taffy_C
Explorer
Explorer
Hi There. I'm replacing the ST185/80/13 tires on my trailer and have the option of either Carlisle or Power King Towmax brands. I'd welcome any advice on how these brands compare?

Thanks,

Daniel.
2003 Explorer Limited 4X4 V8 Advancetrac 3.73 Axle
Jayco Kiwi Too 22U
Hensley Arrow
Prodigy
22 REPLIES 22

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
First, stay away from any tire made in China, you're just asking for trouble. If you can install a truck tire then do that and you won't have any tire issues.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
BurbMan...not saying your thought of replacement is wrong. My disagreeing, is only a difference of opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey Jerry, my Dad used to tell me that I was always entitled to my opinion, no matter how wrong it may be...LOL

When it comes to vehicles, I agree with you 100%, I buy the best tire I can find. Tires are not the place to skimp when it comes to bad weather and heavy traffic.

I actually converted to LT tires on the trailer back in 2012. I went from 15" to 16" rims and installed a Lippert Correct Track alignment kit to give me the 2 1/2" of lift I needed.

I used the TowMax PowerKing or whatever they're called for years until one blew out, that's when I decided to make the change to LTs. I decided I was done once and for all with cheap maypop trailer tires.

What I found out while installing the Correct Track kit was that the shackle bushings were shot, one of the shackle plates was almost worn through, and the "smoking gun": The Trail Air equalizer was rusted and frozen in position. Unable to articulate, the equalizer wasn't able to balance the load between the curb side tires, resulting in the tire that blew being significantly overloaded.

So what I thought was a tire problem was really a suspension problem.

Fast forward 4 years and my top-quality LT tires still had 95% of their tread left but the sidewalls were badly checking so I had to replace them anyway....

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
The Carlisle HD as long as their not the standard worthless Carlisle tires. As others have suggested I would go with a larger size 13" tire if you have room with the highest weight rating. It sucks to have a flat on the way to a camping trip.

Good point.
Carlisle has 5 different trailer tires in their catalog so it makes a huge difference is which one is selected for a road trailer. At the top will be their;
Radial Trail HD.
Other Carlisle trailer tires are;
Ultra Sport LH
Sport Trail RH
USA Trail
CSL 16 all steel...16" load G .

A few ST brands are well suited for a road trailer. Other ST brands work fine for utility trailers/other trailers that make trips around town a few times a year.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan...not saying your thought of replacement is wrong. My disagreeing, is only a difference of opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚

I notice that another opinion was posted at 7:10 last evening. The count went up, but no post?? Can we guess who that will be? Lol, we will likely see, later today, maybe tomorrow, just above my post.

Jerry

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mitch, I too have used eTrailer tires and am pleased with price, service, endurance etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:
Those brands are about the same. Just be sure to get the same LOAD rating or heavier than what you have. If you didn't have any issues before with blowouts you won't now either.

Trailer tires age out before they wear out even if you use the trailer a lot. Better to go with the cheap brand and replace them in 4 years than spend for a premium brand and try to get 7 years out of them.

I am going to disagree with this logic. The newer premium ST tires are better built, higher speed rated, and IMO, worth the price difference. I have 8 years on my Providers that came OEM. Although not worn out, still look great, plan to replace this Spring. E-trailer sells them, and gives a good review, why they are top rated.

I would still get the premium tires, even if I chose to replace every 4 yrs.

Jerry

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Carlisle HD as long as their not the standard worthless Carlisle tires. As others have suggested I would go with a larger size 13" tire if you have room with the highest weight rating. It sucks to have a flat on the way to a camping trip.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those brands are about the same. Just be sure to get the same LOAD rating or heavier than what you have. If you didn't have any issues before with blowouts you won't now either.

Trailer tires age out before they wear out even if you use the trailer a lot. Better to go with the cheap brand and replace them in 4 years than spend for a premium brand and try to get 7 years out of them.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of the 2 choices I would go with the Carlisle HD, Carlisle ST tires have improved over time. Goodyear and Maxxis ST tires are better choices, keep in mind that ST tires need to be aired up to max psi for best results. Secondly, they are really only good for up to 5 years, that is when we always got a new set, never had any blowouts or even a flat with our ST tires, and yes we went above the 65mph threshold as needed. Main failure points for any ST tire is improper inflation and overloading, common occurrence since manufacturers barely put enough axle and tire under most of their rigs to begin with.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy with Carlisle HD. I have them on my TT for 5 years now and one utility trailer for 2.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you'll be happy with the Carlisle tires.
Previous trailer had 2 sets in 10 years without a single issue.
Current trailer is running Trailer King RST D rated, so far no complaints.

Key is to run them to max psi and check tire pressure before each trip.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kenda Karrier
LRD are on super sale on etrailer.com right now. $40 off
Have 14โ€ Karriers on 2 different trailers. 1 sits outside 24/7 and now about 5 years old and no signs of weathering. They are mostly or 100% in the shade in a cool wet environment though. Knock on wood theyโ€™ll be good a while longer.

Other set is stored inside on boat trailer. Theyโ€™re 3-4 years old now and also in great shape.
This is my first round of Kendas but I believe theyโ€™re very good quality.
Get em before the sale is up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had that size on my old Prowler. The OEM LR was only "B"... I replaced them with the same size, but in a LR "D" rating and just having the extra load cap on them and extra PSI on them. I got them from etrailer and I think they were the "Karrier" name??

Never a flat and I loaded that old Prowler to it's max, if not a bit over and never a problem..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ... I have Goodyear Endurance and am happy with them. I set psi at 70. My fifth wheel suggests 65to 70 psi.. I have about 20K. Miles on the tires. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel