cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conclusion made: 95% of all TT's are a crapshoot

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Other than Airstream, Oliver, and a few others I can't afford, there are so many nightmare stories and terrible warranty/service issues it will make your head spin off. I guess I know going into it that my handiness will be in continual use. I've already experienced it when my new TT I bought in February sprung a leak due to a crappy caulk job and while the dealer recaulked that spot, it has been 2-3 months and they still haven't contacted me saying they have authorization from Gulfstream.
Are there some brands under $30k that any of you recommend who stand behind their product and don't make the consumer regret their purchase? We're ready to pull the trigger on a larger TT, then sell ours, but man, this is disheartening. I will say my local mobile RV repair guy likes Forest River, so I guess he has no problem fixing them and getting paid properly.
36 REPLIES 36

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
The more volume of units the more complaints, simple math.

Look at Ford forums. Lol

scenechaser3
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard of warranty nightmares before, and how crappy these things are put together. I bought my TT 6 years ago, and the only trouble I have had with it is when it got struck by lightening; not once but twice. Other than that, I have never had any trouble with it. I do perform a roof inspection every year, and coated it once as a preventive measure. It is a 2015 Jay Flight 23RB by Jayco.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB Travel Trailer
2020 Ford F350 XLT

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Looked up sales numbers (these are overall for RVs. I couldn't find travel trailer specific):

Thor owns Keystone & Jayco and with other brands about 50% of the market

Forest River owns Forest River and Coachmen and with other brands about 33% of the market

Winnebago is about 8% of the market.

REV owns Fleetwood and about 3% of the market with other brands.

Gulf Stream is independent and under 1%.

Add in a bit of buyers bias (people who spend far more for a supposed better brand are less likely to slam that brand), and what you basically have is a survey that largely mimics sales.

I'm betting if you found the actual travel trailer sales, it would match even closer (ie: Winnebago is primarily a MH shop that does a few travel trailers. Keystone & Thor are primarily trailer shops that do a few MHs).

Without compensating for sales numbers and where they are drawing the survey population from, these numbers mean a whole lot of nothing.

I agree it's not scientific, it's a just poll of 3,000 RV'ers. I also believe that those with complaints are far more likely to participate.

I am currently shopping and my this was my take away:

Forest River represents 33% of the market and garnered fully 50% of the complaints.

Thor represents a much larger market segment than Forest River but had considerably fewer complaints.

Not sure if it will impact my decision but I believe the poll has value.
Shopping for Travel Trailer

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I just put a deposit on the Spirit 2557RB. I have my current trailer loan with them and called US Bank to see what they could do, and while they offered me a great rate, the dealer beat them by .75%. Looks like I can even use the Husky WD hitch off our 17RWD because the dealer I bought it from in February had put the next step up hitch on it. We should be picking it up Saturday if all goes as it should.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I check my 5er 2X a year for possible areas where the sealant might need replacement. Your RV travels on a road and can flex when traveling. A stick built home should not move in the wind, but still can get leaks. All man made products require maintenance periodically so they last.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Even worse now as newbies are buying them up like McRib's.
Agree with Schlep. I will get a ladder and store it in the trailer so I can reseal the roof as needed. I think we're going with the Spirit 2557RB as the other dealer two hours away is open M-F 9-5. We both absolutely loved the floorplan. It just didn't have a ladder or 12V fridge and they just got one in with the 12V fridge. I can get a 12.5 ft telescoping ladder for $100.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Contrary to popular belief, TTs and not built by minimum wage workers. But wages are not the issue.

TT's are built as quickly as possible. With the materials that will do the job. However, if you watch some of the assembly videos on the web you can see a very quick paced assembly.

The issue is; the level of quality is sufficient to meet the consumer demands. Those afore mentioned TTs with better quality reputations are also significantly more (10 to 15%) expensive.

The really is, there is not much incentive to improve the quality, if the market will buy what you offer.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grand Design has several Transcend XPLOR models under $30K. We've not owned a Transcend, but we've owned two Grand Design fifth wheels (a Reflection and a Solitude) and have have very good look with their build quality and very few (small) warranty issues. GD has stepped up to the plate in each situation.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Buy what you want and the first thing to do when you get home is check the roof and add sealant anywhere you think looks suspect. And repeat this at least once a year.
Fixing RV components is not rocket science but getting water intrusion can destroy any RV brand in a short time. Most new RV owners don't have a clue that the roof needs attention every year. And because of this they get 2 years in and they are complaining on the internet about failures.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
mr61impala wrote:
I found this on another RV website, don't know how to share the link but you could google 8 worst travel trailers. I know Forest River is not one brand, and that Coachmen is now a Forest River brand, but this is how it appeared.

Note: Since there are a lot of different options related to the question: “Which are travel trailer brands to avoid?”, to provide a fair answer, we conducted a survey to Camping is our life – a favorite Facebook group of many RVers with more than 100,000 members. With appropriately 3,000 answers, here is what we got:

What travel trailers brands to avoid in 2020:

Forest River travel trailer brand: 45%
Keystone travel trailer brand: 26%
Jayco travel trailer brand: 15%
Coachmen travel trailer brand: 5%
Winnebago travel trailer brand: 3%
Fleetwood travel trailer brand: 2%
Gulf Stream travel trailer brand: 1%

The rest 3% came to some other brands: Coleman, Thor,…

Looked up sales numbers (these are overall for RVs. I couldn't find travel trailer specific):

Thor owns Keystone & Jayco and with other brands about 50% of the market

Forest River owns Forest River and Coachmen and with other brands about 33% of the market

Winnebago is about 8% of the market.

REV owns Fleetwood and about 3% of the market with other brands.

Gulf Stream is independent and under 1%.

Add in a bit of buyers bias (people who spend far more for a supposed better brand are less likely to slam that brand), and what you basically have is a survey that largely mimics sales.

I'm betting if you found the actual travel trailer sales, it would match even closer (ie: Winnebago is primarily a MH shop that does a few travel trailers. Keystone & Thor are primarily trailer shops that do a few MHs).

Without compensating for sales numbers and where they are drawing the survey population from, these numbers mean a whole lot of nothing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
In 2012, we purchased a Salem by Forest River. Great layout for our family, but a lower end unit. I noticed the counter was slanted, wires pulled so tight under a cabinet that they shorted, water leaks, and the roof leak you speak of. Only thing I had dealer fixed was the first issue....the water leak from the roof. Front cap to the roof was the issue. Warranty covered a tube of Dicor. Once it leaked again, I used Eternabond tape and never went back for warranty -- waste of my time.

Our current C has issues I've fixed along the way, and more that annoy me but I'm not fixing.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I did check out Grand Design, it wasn't for me. I believe I will end up with a Forest River product as I feel like I'll have better luck with our local mobile RV repair guy fixing it if it needs anything. He's also way closer to me than anyone else and once Covid finally ends, he'll be mobile again.
Keep in mind that Forest River has a boatload of travel trailers they sell, so those numbers will be higher. My Gulfstream already had a water leak at 5 months and a few other shoddy workmanship issues.
While I thought I liked Winnebago, they use some cheap materials in some areas too. They use OSB style plywood under the beds and wood studs underneath instead of aluminum where others use smooth plywood and aluminum structure bracing. Also didn't notice anything better inside their trailers vs Forest River's.

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
I found this on another RV website, don't know how to share the link but you could google 8 worst travel trailers. I know Forest River is not one brand, and that Coachmen is now a Forest River brand, but this is how it appeared.

Note: Since there are a lot of different options related to the question: “Which are travel trailer brands to avoid?”, to provide a fair answer, we conducted a survey to Camping is our life – a favorite Facebook group of many RVers with more than 100,000 members. With appropriately 3,000 answers, here is what we got:

What travel trailers brands to avoid in 2020:

Forest River travel trailer brand: 45%
Keystone travel trailer brand: 26%
Jayco travel trailer brand: 15%
Coachmen travel trailer brand: 5%
Winnebago travel trailer brand: 3%
Fleetwood travel trailer brand: 2%
Gulf Stream travel trailer brand: 1%

The rest 3% came to some other brands: Coleman, Thor,…
Shopping for Travel Trailer

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Stclairm wrote:

Are there some brands under $30k that any of you recommend who stand behind their product and don't make the consumer regret their purchase? We're ready to pull the trigger on a larger TT, then sell ours, but man, this is disheartening. I will say my local mobile RV repair guy likes Forest River, so I guess he has no problem fixing them and getting paid properly.
Yes - Grand Design. I've had personal experience with talking at length with a manager on their customer support team. I emailed them about a problem with my awning. I didn't get a return email, I got a call. The awning was detaching from the side. The warranty was long over. But they fixed it - correctly at no charge to me. My friend had the same issue with his Alpine - just out of warranty. They would not help - sorry, but your warranty period has expired they told him.

GD sent me a recall notice about an electrical issue that could cause a fire. It is very hard for me to take off work to get it to the dealer who doesn't do intake on the weekend. They authorized a mobile mechanic to do the work at my storage location.

Others will chime in and throw shade on them, but myself and a lot of others will tell you different. Research the brand on both of their forums - PM me if you want the links or just Google.

I googled Grand Design dealers in NC and found a few close to you - Bill Plemmons RV World in Winston-Salem and Raleigh. Check them out. Go and tour a few units.

I can't talk about price as it is different depending on where your located and current market. I will say that I negotiated a substantial percentage off the MSRP and got a front bedroom AC installed as part of the deal. Also - you are in a good position to negotiate. You have multiple dealers in the area for the brand, you already have a RV you can use - so you want a new one, but you don't NEED a new one. This is to your advantage. Winter is here and that's also to your advantage. So if you don't get what you want, you can just get up and leave - leaving them with your phone number. Also, don't trade in before attempting to sell on your own - it will most likely sell if you present it properly.

And yes - they put their RV's together the same as other companies and yes, they may have issues. But beating their customer service is a hard thing to do. I'm very happy with it and fully enjoy using it.

Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I wouldn't count on the "high end" models being any different. Know some folks who bought a 2yr old airstream that was supposedly well taken care of and they spend a couple grand on floor repairs due to water damage.

That said, if you expect car level quality control, you are unrealistic. A lot volume passenger car may sell 50,000 units per year. A popular RV may sell 5,000 units...you can't implement the same level of quality control.

That said, once you accept you may need to adjust a few things, do a bit of caulking and keep an eye on things, it's really not that bad. Most issues can be traced back to not doing maintenance and ignoring issues while they get worse.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV