cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

condensation

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to remember this topic coming up before but I didn't pay enough attention to it because I thought it didn't concern me.

Now it does!

On my recent Utah trip, we had some nights in the upper 30's.
We were not using the heater.
In the middle of the night, condensation started dripping on us from the dome vent above the bed.

The same was happening from the dome skylight in the shower.

Is this just something I'm stuck with? Water dripping on you in the middle of the night is no fun.

How is this handled by any one else?
Zulu
15 REPLIES 15

billb1
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a dehumidifier for our 5th wheel. Put it between the two lounge chairs, made a top for it and used it as a table. Had it there for ten years until we sold the trailer.
BillB
2000 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1 Ton Diesel, 4.10 axle w/limited slip, auto trans.
2000 Real Lite Truck Camper

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

To avoid condensation the surface must be kept warmer than the dew point. Keeping vents and windows open does lower the relative humidity and helps.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
An advantage of vent/escape hatches that are plastic framed is they do not condense nearly as badly, because the plastic frame has much more thermal insulation than an aluminum one. Something to keep in mind a replacement time.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
I always keep a vent open so the camper can breath.

You should have a vent cover on the vent that you keep open, when traveling close all vents.

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
I glued pieces of old carpet to the underside of my domed escape hatch vent to act as insulation - before that condensation would build up and drip on me exactly as you have experienced. Now it only build up on the aluminum frame around the hatch (and drips on me).

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like a little airflow can go a long way!
Zulu

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said, crack the vents. Note that if you heat the camper you will also reduce condensation as warm air can hold more moisture than cold air.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Open vents to reduce the condensation and don't breath. Seriously though, your breath has moisture. ๐Ÿ™‚ I prefer the roof vents vs the windows being open. As far as showering goes, use a squeegee to remove most of the water off the walls.
This has pretty much been my experience. I have only closed my bathroom vent 2 or 3 times in the past 11 years, rain or shine. I always leave the cabover vent open about 1/2-inch. The only exception is while on the road. It does require a little more heat, but having fresh air to breath is worth it, and lowering the condensation is a side benefit. Most people think propane is the cause of condensation. Although it contributes, it is not the sole cause.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Open vents to reduce the condensation and don't breath. Seriously though, your breath has moisture. ๐Ÿ™‚ I prefer the roof vents vs the windows being open. As far as showering goes, use a squeegee to remove most of the water off the walls.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
When you shower open the vent and turn on the exhaust fan. This will help keep the moisture level lower in your trailer.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was one who posted on this recently, after getting "rained on" one night (it was raining and we had closed up the vent, and my first thought was that my vent was leaking, it was so bad) - and heeding the replies of this forum, the problem was solved by opening the ceiling vent a bit, and cracking open a couple of windows.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Crack open a couple windows or your roof vent. You need air flow in and out of your camper.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I always keep a vent open so the camper can breath.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts on this subject, common around this time of year, search this Forum for `condensation' and read on.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)