cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
79fordman wrote:
Hi new here just wanted to show my homemade cloth line i put on my camper. I know you can buy these but i thought buying takes all the fun out of making it.

We just tie a rope between the awning arms to dry things and it can keep them drying even in the rain or if overnight from any Dew that might happen.

It looks like what you had hanging up is all on the ground from the pic you posted.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

79fordman
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you hopefully more mods to come.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
79fordman wrote:
Hi new here just wanted to show my homemade cloth line i put on my camper. I know you can buy these but i thought buying takes all the fun out of making it.

Nice job 79Fordman!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

StuartW
Explorer
Explorer
stugpanzer wrote:
Ok.....I just talked to a rep from Forest river and yes.....all the cabinets that I want to remove are just screwed in place and are not structural! And.....as long as I don't tear things up, I will not void my warranty! Once I get going on this....I will post photos!
I just did a similar mod last winter in the front bedroom of our Holiday Rambler 26RKS ... except we re-installed full-length 30x80 'half-queen' mattresses, one down either side of the rig, and created a center walkway. Not quite as romantic as a regular queen, but I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'10" so anything less than a full-length mattress gets old fast. We had custom mattresses made with firm support and pillow tops - worth every penny based on our trips so far this year.

You'd be amazed how little structure was actually in the old pedestal. I removed a few long wood screws, pulled out a few staples, and it was history. My new twin support frames are built *much* better and each will have a large drawer on heavy-weight full-extension drawer glides so the under-bed storage is just about doubled.

Here's the modified floorplan :

The only real trick was moving the slider door for the bathroom to the opposite side of the partition, which meant moving the vanity about 3" closer to the shower - fortunately there was room to do this and no plumbing changes were required.

Note: Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum.
StuartW
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie
CTD HO 4x4 SRW LWB QC / Leer 100XQ cap
2005 HR Savoy SL 26RKS

79fordman
Explorer
Explorer

brighteyes818
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Where did you purchase the square cylinder the sewer hose is in?
Thanks
Loopy wrote:
Well, we picked up our new 20BH not too long ago and I was itching to do some mods so without further delay....

Here's just a general pic of the outside

And another from the other side

Hot water heater screen cover

Furnace screen cover

Fridge vent covers

Sewer hose storage all closed up

Opened up

The TT had the small switches for the lighting and I really like the bigger ones so just inside the front door and the bath got these treatments.

I'm not a huge fan of the plastic camper lights on the ceiling so those got replaced and so did the ugly decorative fixture over the dinette. I used regular 110 volt house fixtures with 12 volt A15 bulbs.

The two round lights are switched by the door but i had to reuse the 12v switch from teh ugly fixture for the spot lights.

We have a dog so a bag holder near the door is a must

Every camper needs a soap dispenser and a paper towel holder. I also reused one of the double plastic ceiling lights over the sink rather than the small single one that was there.

The bed area didn't have any shelving that was open to put a clock on so..

The original theater system (seen on bottom shelf) with DVD player built in just wasn't cutting it quality wise so I added a Sony home theater receiver and kept the original one for the DVD player alone.

The 20" TV that came with the camper was nice but it wasn't HD so we replaced it with a 26" HDTV and a swivel arm mount.

Can't live without the Oxygenics shower head

Added a positive flow shut off to it

And of course, no one likes a clingy shower curtain or water getting everywhere so we added clip holders and corner water stops.

There's a few more things (digital thermostat replacement, counter top extension) I want to do before our maiden voyage in it but these are a good start. If anyone has any questions on what I posted feel free to ask away!

Hitch_Itch
Explorer
Explorer
fornarog wrote:
Finished these this weekend.

Wanted a bumper mounted box for the slinkies and accessories

Mounted the blue tote to the frame for traveling. Still need to cut off the excess strapping.

Previously did these:
Stabilizer Jacks

AM/FM Antenna

I just made a bumper mount just like that, its almost like you took a pic of mine, lol, but I used it for a hitch mount bike rack.

gj
Ken
Hitch

Wife_nHubby
Explorer
Explorer
ctpres wrote:
New to this RV thing but oldtimer in security. What items typically get legs and walk off or disappear. In the RV park? On the road? Not woried about RV in storage as that is more a function of the storage location? Don't want to waste to much time trying to secure or alarm something that rarely is stolen or not know about something and loose it.

With over 30 yrs. of camping the only thing we have 'lost' is beach towels that our kids 'left someplace'. Even if we are away from the TT (at the beach, the playground, etc.) we very seldom even lock our door. Maybe we have been lucky? About the only time we lock the door is at night - to keep a toddler grandchild from getting out when adults are sleeping.

Shari
Wisconsin - the best place to be!

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
New to this RV thing but oldtimer in security. What items typically get legs and walk off or disappear. In the RV park? On the road? Not woried about RV in storage as that is more a function of the storage location? Don't want to waste to much time trying to secure or alarm something that rarely is stolen or not know about something and loose it.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Desperado359
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished up my window treatment. I took out all of the blinds and made curtains, I like the look better and they keep out more light and heat.
Before

After

Before

After, I also moved the curtain boxes up 3.5" for more usable windows.

More on my Webshots page.
1995 Ram CTD 2500 SLT, 5 Speed, 4X4, 3.54, ATS manifold. B-D 4" Exhaust Brake, 4" Exhaust, Mach 3 EDM's, 191 DV's, Street โ€œOโ€ plate, 215 pump, 3K GSK, Isspro EV. Boost, EGT, gauge set, 502Hp Dt 8/2007 5th wheel mods
2001 24' 5Th wheel Cougar single slider

goingnorth
Explorer
Explorer

Here is my bed strut mod, trailer did not have any from factory, tried 40# struts first, would not stay open, next size at campingworld was 80# in the 20" size, holds open very well. The stock board was 3/8" luan 56" x 34" I changed it to 3/8" plywood 59" x 38", I changed from short queen to fullsize sleepnumber bed minus one piece of 4" foam, tv cabonet wont allow full size matress. I used 1x4s for the bracket supports and added 2 more hinges because the plywood was bending allot.

Note: Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum.
13 F250 6.2L XLT CCSB 4x4 4.30 gears

09 Keystone Passport 290BH UF elec jack,30"scissor jacks+Eliminator Strut Stabilizer,PD9160+wizard,custom bumper hitch,added 18.5gal FW tank,dualcam HP 1200# WD,Fantastic Fan,Axle Flip,Lexan screen door covers.
My Mods.

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Ok.....I just talked to a rep from Forest river and yes.....all the cabinets that I want to remove are just screwed in place and are not structural! And.....as long as I don't tear things up, I will not void my warranty! Once I get going on this....I will post photos!
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
stugpanzer wrote:
I have a question to see if anybody has done a mod that I am thinking of doing. We have a Rockwood 8314ss 33' TT. The front bedroom has the (RV size) queen island bed. I am thinking of removing the drawers and overhead on one side, modify the platform and put a residential size queen bed in cross ways. So instead of the head of the bed being at the front of the trailer, it would be turned so that the head is on one side.

It appears that the cabinetry was put in after the base floor, walls and ceiling was put in and so I believe I should be able to (cleanly) remove the cabinetry I need to remove and modify the existing pedestal.

Any insight from those of you in the industry and/or those that have done this would be greatly appreciated! I am also going to contact Forest River to see if they will be willing to shine some light on the build process so I can reverse engineer some of what they have done.

Here's the layout of our trailer and a couple photos. The head would be opposite the entry door and the mattress side would be up against the front. I would leave the overhead and drawers near the door.

Thanks and Happy Camping!

I have the same bedroom layout except the bedroom dorway is against the wall on street side. I added a full size queen matress on top of the RV queen (60 x 80) foam matress pad. The matress is about 6 inches longer and since the front wall slopes upward where the matress buts up against it the matress sets further forward about 3 inches while on top of the foam matress pad . I can still scoot sideways accross between the foot of the matress and wall.

Wife_nHubby
Explorer
Explorer
stugpanzer wrote:
I have a question to see if anybody has done a mod that I am thinking of doing. We have a Rockwood 8314ss 33' TT. The front bedroom has the (RV size) queen island bed. I am thinking of removing the drawers and overhead on one side, modify the platform and put a residential size queen bed in cross ways. So instead of the head of the bed being at the front of the trailer, it would be turned so that the head is on one side.

It appears that the cabinetry was put in after the base floor, walls and ceiling was put in and so I believe I should be able to (cleanly) remove the cabinetry I need to remove and modify the existing pedestal.

Any insight from those of you in the industry and/or those that have done this would be greatly appreciated! I am also going to contact Forest River to see if they will be willing to shine some light on the build process so I can reverse engineer some of what they have done.

Here's the layout of our trailer and a couple photos. The head would be opposite the entry door and the mattress side would be up against the front. I would leave the overhead and drawers near the door.

I am thinking about doing the same thing. Our TT is permanently parked so if there is any question about redistribution of weight it probably wouldn't affect us.

Shari
Wisconsin - the best place to be!

wildernesshd
Explorer
Explorer
I had a gulfstream that I did a simular mod to. moved bed to one side to increase dressing area. most interior parts are screwed or stapled down.
2012 GMC \Denali 3500 4X4 DURAMAX Allison EFI live tuner 4 inch Exhaust
2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE 5th wheel 4 slides
statements in this post should be considered opinions and not facts