cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

KDOG2010
Explorer
Explorer
This thread never gets old....
'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I6 4spd auto
'09 Kodiak 195 hybrid, 3487lbs empty

4BeachCampers
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got an awning yesterday - will take pics this weekend. If you're in So Cal and need and awning, go with Shade Pro out of San Diego - they are mobile and have great prices and great customer service.

Here's a couple of mods we have done in our new to us trailer.

First, installed Sony Explode stereo - hooked up to Surround Sound system - works great and is in a really easy to get to spot. Will also be installing an outside speaker soon.

Oh, also added a jumbo step handle outside. The walls were too thin to support it (my son ripped it right outta the wall) so, genius wife came up with the broom holder idea. (see picture above) Allows for the screws to have something to 'grab' onto. Works GREAT!

We also mounted our TV into the corner shelving unit. Mounted the bracket to the side shelf unit and use a freezer tension bar to hold it back for safe travel.

The stereo has a usb port on the front - allows me to use a flash drive for my music - I can also hook the ipod up to it. I can also charge my phone from the usb - just an added nicety.

A few more things we have done:

Removed all wallpaper border trim - just my preference for a clean non-old lady look.
In addition, I removed the same pattern from all of the valances and made new curtain ends.
Took down annoying metal blind from above my head in the front bedroom window - made 'black out' curtains instead.
Made 'black out' curtains for both the kids bunk bed windows and added a privacy curtain.
Removed factory installed shower curtain - didn't function well. Removed deadly gold bathroom hardware and replaced it with nickel finish.
Added cupboard organizers.

Will try to get pictures this weekend.

LOVING our new 'large' trailer...
Note: Moderator edit to re-size pictures.
2005 Ford Four Winds Chateau Sport 28A

jherauf
Explorer
Explorer
YES. Like everyone else. Just do it!:B

But I share your frustration over price.:M
2001 Ford F-250 CC 7.3l Diesel
2006 Cedar Creek 31LRLS

mtkbuckeye
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherguy wrote:
With a Rhino hose?

Yes a Rhino Hose.
2005 Salem
2004 Ford Excursion Limited 6.0L 4x4 Diesel

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

larry_kruzan
Explorer
Explorer
sperduton wrote:
snarfattack wrote:
So, I've been very jealous of the power tongue cranks I see... but I just can't justify spending the money when I have an arm.

Yeah, that's what I said for a few years also, then my wife went to crack the camper up a couple turns while I was hitching up and threw out her back and was out of work for over a week. I ordered the power jack the next day.

I just had back surgery - power jack will get me back on the road. A modern wonder.

Larry
Larry and Debbie Kruzan

We never turn a corner without wondering in amazement at God's creation!

sperduton
Explorer
Explorer
snarfattack wrote:
So, I've been very jealous of the power tongue cranks I see... but I just can't justify spending the money when I have an arm.

Yeah, that's what I said for a few years also, then my wife went to crack the camper up a couple turns while I was hitching up and threw out her back and was out of work for over a week. I ordered the power jack the next day.
2005 Chateau 33-L, with Propride hitch
2004 Ram 2500 QC, 4wd Long bed

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
jherauf wrote:
Just open the mouth up of the thule mount. Problem solved.

So, pre-mod, did your Thule mount also have the issue where the lever does not open wide enough to detach to mount from the wall bracket? That is the issue I am having with mine and it appears you ground down part of the opening to allow more room to remove the bracket from the wall mount?

A mod to the mod may be in order for mine as well but I want to see what Thule says before I modify my mount. I also want to vent a little to them so they know how horrible of a job they did.

My other issue about moding that mount is:

$30(wall anchors) + $70(TV mount) = I should not have to modify the mount to get it to work as designed...I will, but shouldn't have to for that kind of money.
I love me some land yachting

jherauf
Explorer
Explorer
Just open the mouth up of the thule mount. Problem solved.

2001 Ford F-250 CC 7.3l Diesel
2006 Cedar Creek 31LRLS

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
I really like these mounts. I have the wall portion in two locations on my RV (one inside, one outside) and one on my back deck at home.

Level Mount
Lee

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Gnarly wrote:
Redrocket204,
I agree-the Thule TV mount is a joke.
A well-meaning friend gave me one,still in the box.....it's still in the box,somewhere in the attic @ home.
I ended up with this one for our 22":(picture) (Details) for <$40,shipped.

Where did you get the struts,for the bunkbed mod,please?
Thanx!
~Gnarly

Yes on the Thule mount. Highly disappointed with it as it is VERY difficult to remove from the wall attachment especially when the mount is marketed as an easy to disconnect mount. I have to struggle to remove it from the wall and I am not weak...hence the failure for Thule to execute the design properly. Once I get back from my trip I will contact Thule and see what they will do about it. I have purchased many high quality items from Thule before and am completely shocked at this major of a failure from Thule.

As far as the struts...these are the same struts that are used for the back windows of pickup truck canopies, car hoods, etc. I picked mine up at a marine and RV shop for ~$19/each. You also need to purchase the ball mount brackets for each strut too, ~ $4 for each strut.

You need to know the # PSI you want and well as the extended and compressed lengths. If I remember correctly, I purchased 30# PSI, 20" extended and 12" or 13" compressed.

In the past I have also purchased struts at NAPA or other auto shops.

Gnarly
Explorer
Explorer
Redrocket204,
I agree-the Thule TV mount is a joke.
A well-meaning friend gave me one,still in the box.....it's still in the box,somewhere in the attic @ home.
I ended up with this one for our 22":(picture) (Details) for <$40,shipped.

Where did you get the struts,for the bunkbed mod,please?
Thanx!
~Gnarly
*~* Pray for Peace,but reload more ammo! *~*

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
OK, time for my mods that I have completed.

1) Added an outside shower. This was not as easy as it should have been but I wanted it to wash off wetsuits, dogs and kids outside. I also wanted warm water to be able to do this as ocean water where wetsuits are involved is cold enough.

2) Added Max-Air 2 vents (I like these)

3) Moved struts under queen bed to a more vertical position and now the bed stays up with an added 4" dense memory foam topper. (Why this position was not originally used from the factory is ???) Thanks Fisherguy for the idea!

4) Replace bunk 3/8" plywood with 1/2" plywood, added hinges, struts and foam weather stripping. Now the kids can easily use this storage. Picture does not show weather stripping.

5) Added 19" LCD in bedroom area using the Thule mount. I am not very impressed with this mount for the cost. The design engineering is good, the execution of the design is not so good. Unless Thule can send me a new one that works well, I would rate their mount 1 star out of 5 stars. Picture is of the under bed storage where the LCD is secured for when the trailer is in motion. I will not leave this LCD in the mount when the trailer is in motion.

6) Peg board and fishing pole holder added to the pass-thru storage area.

7) Applied Eternabond to the sides and top of my slide. Went from:

To:

The job may look sloppy but I am a former roofer with lots of experience fixing leaks. I feel 100% positive my application is water tight. On the top, the application of the Eternabond looks wavey. That is because I had to apply it blind with the slide in and no help. It is sealed well though.

I have a few more mods but no other pictures to help with understanding what was done. I will post again with the additional mods.

Now, off to northern CA and the redwood forests. :C

revrnd
Explorer
Explorer
Lowe's or Home Despot should have them. I got some for my home shower @ Rona here in Canada.
1986 Monte Carlo SS
2011 Chevrolet K2500HD (P3 controller, Husky WD hitch)
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini Lite

Retired GM of Canada Oshawa Truck Assembly Plant
Opened 1965 Closed 2009

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
LynchMob76 wrote:

shower guard

Where would one find a set of those shower guards? My wife is like a duck in the shower and there is always water escaping at the sides. That looks like it would cure the leaks.
Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Searching for diesel TV, Prodigy
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL
Selling 2010 Keystone Passport 256RLS

"Wherever you go, there you are"

sbrettell
Explorer
Explorer
Yay! I told my wife this could work, and she said no. Can you give more details about product and output and stuff?
SteveB
In Maryland