cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
HedoTravelers wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
Rob8484 wrote:
So how hard was it to tint the windows? Any tips or advice?? This has been on my "to do list" and want to get it done soon!

It's on my list too. I did stop at Auto zone to look at the vinyl stuff people were talking about..the staff said people were returning it because it was too hard to get all the bubbles out.

Then they did not follow the directions. I have even used it on my soft top Jeep windows with great success. You apply the vinyl just like the film type... with lots of soapy water and lots of patience. You can pull it back and start over as many times as it takes. Use a squeegee to remove the bubbles. I have used both types and the vinyl is a lot more forgiving. A heat gun or hairdryer will help on the curves for either type film.
Good luck with it.

Thanks for the advise.
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

iowassfan
Explorer
Explorer
Rob8484 wrote:
So how hard was it to tint the windows? Any tips or advice?? This has been on my "to do list" and want to get it done soon!

Its definately a test of patience. I cut mine slightly larger then the window. Applied soapy water to the window and tint. Then put it on the window and squeeged from the center out. Then you can trim it with a razor blade.

locknload223
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea painting the inside. Let us know how much darker it is inside after you install it. I'm installing two this week.
2010 Flagstaff 831RKSS

2000 Excursion Limited PowerStroke Diesel- ATS ported turbo housing, 6.0 I/C, FRx, HPx & boot kit, DiPricol Optix gauges, DP Tuner-80t, Drive-Thru, 80e, 120race,6637, Exhaust, AIH/foil delete, 4" lift, Airbags, Dunlop 315/75/16's.

iowassfan
Explorer
Explorer
Got my Maxxair II vent covers ready for install today. I painted the inside of one black since it goes directly over our queen bed. The tinted windows made it much cooler and nicer camping this weekend.

one on top of box is the painted one.

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
Rob8484 wrote:

It's on my list too. I did stop at Auto zone to look at the vinyl stuff people were talking about..the staff said people were returning it because it was too hard to get all the bubbles out.

Then they did not follow the directions. I have even used it on my soft top Jeep windows with great success. You apply the vinyl just like the film type... with lots of soapy water and lots of patience. You can pull it back and start over as many times as it takes. Use a squeegee to remove the bubbles. I have used both types and the vinyl is a lot more forgiving. A heat gun or hairdryer will help on the curves for either type film.
Good luck with it.
Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Searching for diesel TV, Prodigy
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL
Selling 2010 Keystone Passport 256RLS

"Wherever you go, there you are"

locknload223
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck and have a fun trip. We're heading out Friday as well.
2010 Flagstaff 831RKSS

2000 Excursion Limited PowerStroke Diesel- ATS ported turbo housing, 6.0 I/C, FRx, HPx & boot kit, DiPricol Optix gauges, DP Tuner-80t, Drive-Thru, 80e, 120race,6637, Exhaust, AIH/foil delete, 4" lift, Airbags, Dunlop 315/75/16's.

Rob8484
Explorer
Explorer
locknload223 wrote:
Rob8484 wrote:

The key is to get the glass super clean and pre-cut the tint as close as you can get it first (make sure you have the tint oriented in the correct direction, sticky side of tint facing the glass, before you cut.
Use a spray bottle with water and a little dish soap and get the window and tint very wet. I never used the supplied rubber squeegees, I always used a credit card inside an old soft T shirt, seemed to work much better. Start in the center of the tint and lightly squeegee the air bubbles to the outside. You'll have a greyish film when you're done but it will disappear when fully dried.

Thanks for the tips! I may tackle this on friday when we head back out to the campground
Rob 33(me) Kristi 31(wife) Kenedi 5 (daughter) and our 2 dogs (Molly & Wayne) (RIP Molly)
2008 F250 Super Duty
2008 Forest River Cardinal 33LE
G14 Yamaha golf cart

locknload223
Explorer
Explorer
Rob8484 wrote:

The key is to get the glass super clean and pre-cut the tint as close as you can get it first (make sure you have the tint oriented in the correct direction, sticky side of tint facing the glass, before you cut.
Use a spray bottle with water and a little dish soap and get the window and tint very wet. I never used the supplied rubber squeegees, I always used a credit card inside an old soft T shirt, seemed to work much better. Start in the center of the tint and lightly squeegee the air bubbles to the outside. You'll have a greyish film when you're done but it will disappear when fully dried.
2010 Flagstaff 831RKSS

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Rob8484 wrote:

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Rob8484
Explorer
Explorer
Rob 33(me) Kristi 31(wife) Kenedi 5 (daughter) and our 2 dogs (Molly & Wayne) (RIP Molly)
2008 F250 Super Duty
2008 Forest River Cardinal 33LE
G14 Yamaha golf cart

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
We have mini-blinds & put a roller shade over them so we can use either or both.

tedrowan
Explorer
Explorer
Do the roller shade block the air circulation through the windows? We have pleated shade that do.
Ted and Maryann Rowan __ Cape Cod, MA
2009 Ford F-150 FX4 + 2008 KZ Spree 261 RKS
Two Road Bikes * Two Mountain Bikes * Too little time

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wife and I just replaced all our aluminum mini blinds with pull down roller shades. Found them at Lowes on clearance for $.25 ea. Yep that is twentyfive cents each!! SCORE!!!!!

8 windows for $2.00 bucks!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

racer93
Explorer
Explorer
We found some thermal curtains on sale at Annas and the wife and I used 7 panels for ten windows. The bottom half from one of the larger windows would cover the smaller ones. I then took down the valances with the day shades attached and put in wooden dowel rods between the valance and day shade. I just used drywall screws in each end and they dont show up due to the dark brown color to our decor. While at it I replace all the 1/2" screws that hold valance on (you know the ones always falling out) with brown switch cover screws with lock washers and nuts. You can barely notice the screw heads even knowing they are there. So I now have a choice between totally dark, some light, and plain glass. About $125 total invested.
2010 Jayflight G2 32RLS
1989 Chevy Dually 454(Gas Guzzlin' Powerhouse)

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
TreeSeeker wrote:
Can't use aluminum foil, need it for a helmet to stop the voices.

LOL! Hey, maybe you won't hear the voices at night if you use it on the vent cover.

Works for me!

Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Searching for diesel TV, Prodigy
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL
Selling 2010 Keystone Passport 256RLS

"Wherever you go, there you are"