cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cooper tire failure at 65mph - now what?

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought 6 of the COOPER DISCOVERER AT3 LT235/80R-17 for our 2014 Ram DRW in April 2017 before our 13,000 mile AK trip with extensive gravel to Inuvik, etc. After that trip we were generally not too impressed by the wear on the front tires but knew our alignment might be a bit off. The worst front tire was then rotated to one of the inner duallys.

In the 10,000 miles since then we have taken our rig on many unforgiving and hairy forest gravel/rock roads, some falsely advertised as "maintained for passenger vehicles" :R. We like to get off the beaten path but obviously have a good bit of highway in between these places. The truck is driven very little without our 12' TC in the bed and we never tow.

Well, coming back from Flagstaff on I-17, we hear a clunk in front passenger wheel well and figured it was a rock that finally dislodged. Another mile and we hear a rythmic clunk clunk and pull over. A good chunk of tread had peeled off and separation in other areas all around. Thankfully the tire held pressure. Ohter front has worrisome areas. So, we have 3 1/2 years and fewer than 23,000 miles on these tires. Failure seems a bit extreme to us. We are always careful with rock and sidewalls, but maybe we are pushing these tires too hard?? We travel really light but usually have at least 1/2 to full tank of water. We contacted Cooper tires, so we'll see what they do with their warranty.

So now we are tire shopping for 6 new ones. We have narrowed it down to these 4 all in original size. Analysis paralysis has struck. Would appreciate any thoughts given our load, driving habits, etc. Don't need snow capability (live in the desert and try to stay away from that stuff). Just want something with good wear, that can handle rocks/gravel we seem to often find ourselves in. Prices are nearly the same.

1. Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
2. BF Goodrich ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2
3. General GRABBER A/TX
4. Toyo Open Country A/T III

Thanks and sorry for bringing up tires, yet again.;)
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries
62 REPLIES 62

specta
Explorer
Explorer
thedavidzoo wrote:
We'll try not to kill these prematurely.

That's a great goal to have. :B

These Yokohama tires were the noisiest tires I've had and they followed every single little tiny groove on the road.

I got 50,000 miles out of these BFGs. Went too buy another set and they had quit making them. They must have lasted too long.

The Cooper tires were good tires too.

Hankooks were the worst tires I'v had and a company name branded tire made by Cooper was junk too.

I paid about $850/set for the above tires and about $1150 for the Michelins. So far I like the Michelins the best.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
They look noisily.
Can you hear the tires now?

ROFL, seriously?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We haven't been able to really compare them yet. I'll update if they are significantly different from the Coopers.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
They look noisily.
Can you hear the tires now?

Lancey
Explorer
Explorer
I have those tires on my Silverado, 13500lbs loaded, plus boat for 2 years now and they have held up well so far.
2005 arctic fox 990 silverfox
2008 Silverado ltz drw duramax 6speed allison

1999 Kodiak k99 / 2008 ford f450 6spd manual. SOLD
2000 citation supreme SOLD
1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

specta
Explorer
Explorer
They look GREAT!!!
Kenny

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, 6 Falken Wildpeaks are now mounted. We'll try not to kill these prematurely.

2017 Northstar 12' STC

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Most people never go off-road. Most people never go off good dirt roads. That doesn't meant their trucks aren't capable of it.

Sometimes you get stuck. Sometimes you break stuff. Sometimes you have to walk out.

Hauling a truck camper or pulling a trailer just makes everything a lot harder. Just turning around can be a big problem.

Use some judgement out there. Buy good tires, watch your pressure and don't rock bashing without realizing the problems associated with mistreating tires.

AZ dirt roads are hard on tires, they are rocks with a little dirt in between. Everyone I know self included that camps up there has had an issue with every brand of tire.

TriBeard
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 3 sets of those Falken Wildpeak AT3s on my truck, just put a new set on my truck last week to move up to the 4080lb per tire (certain sizes) I wanted to be comfortable with my weight. I have had 0 issues with any of my sets, and get nearly 55-60k out of each set (some towing, mostly empty driving so far, we'll see how these hold up to the truck camper). Great traction all around and just a great tire.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Do give Toyo AT and MT the nod for being top of the line tires in their categories, just like the M55.
I run Toyos on my company truck, because I donโ€™t have to pay for them and on personal rigs if I find a good deal used.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most people never go off-road. Most people never go off good dirt roads. That doesn't meant their trucks aren't capable of it.

Sometimes you get stuck. Sometimes you break stuff. Sometimes you have to walk out.

Hauling a truck camper or pulling a trailer just makes everything a lot harder. Just turning around can be a big problem.

Use some judgement out there. Buy good tires, watch your pressure and don't rock bashing without realizing the problems associated with mistreating tires.

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
Toyo's.... 4. Toyo Open Country A/T III

I have had them on 3 trucks (2 DRW) carrying a 5000lb camper. I have NEVER had a failure.

Spanning some 14 years.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
specta wrote:
Which "trucks"? I did say "trucks."
Mine had front and rear Detroit Lockers. 4.11 gears. No sway bars to disconnect.
Skid plates don't make a truck more capable.

There are too many for me to list. Just do few google searches or youtube searches if you are interested.

Yeah, skidplates donโ€™t, but not having them can be the difference between suffering damage and not.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
specta wrote:
Today's trucks aren't meant to be taken "off road". But then off-road means a lot of different things to just about everybody.

Maybe you meant you wouldnโ€™t take todayโ€™s trucks offroad. There are definitely lots of models that would far exceed the performance of the truck you are showing in your picture complete with factory lockers, gearing for offroad, skidplates,sway bar disconnects, and winches.

Which "trucks"? I did say "trucks."
Mine had front and rear Detroit Lockers. 4.11 gears. No sway bars to disconnect.
Skid plates don't make a truck more capable.
Kenny