cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct tire pressures

me_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a 2013 f150 3.5 ecoboost and would like to get some LT tires for it. Anyone have a load range rating recommendation? Also what do you run for pressure with that load range tire on a half ton. Thanks any info is appreciated.
2005 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab
6.0L,4:10
2011 Coachman Freedom Express 296REDS
15 REPLIES 15

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MOST people under inflate the fronts and overinflated the rears. Even running what the front calls for can cause the edges to wear, my experience is to inflate 10 psi over what the weight/inflation chart calls for based on your actual tire load. I have found adding 5spi to the rears is the best also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
mike-s wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Something I found interesting- just had my car safety inspection, and they gave me a readout if tread wear- I have the tires - Michelin Defender- inflated 2 psi over the listed inflation, yet the readout showed shoulder wear, indicating under inflation.
Both edges? Because, outside edge wear is toe or camber. Underinflation would cause both sides to wear.

Edge wear can also be caused by cornering forces. Also, inflation pressure is not an exact art and gauges are exact either. I would probably try a few more PSI in the tires and watch the speed on corners.

Yes, you should be aware that steering tires tend to wear both shoulders and drive tires tend to wear the center. On a FWD, the front tires do both, so they tend to wear evenly, but you can really see the difference on a RWD.

Also, radial tires tend NOT to show wear due to underinflation/ overinflation because of the belts.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike-s wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Something I found interesting- just had my car safety inspection, and they gave me a readout if tread wear- I have the tires - Michelin Defender- inflated 2 psi over the listed inflation, yet the readout showed shoulder wear, indicating under inflation.
Both edges? Because, outside edge wear is toe or camber. Underinflation would cause both sides to wear.

Edge wear can also be caused by cornering forces. Also, inflation pressure is not an exact art and gauges are exact either. I would probably try a few more PSI in the tires and watch the speed on corners.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course, with the HD package that came with my 2014 F150, the OEM tires were LT's. LT245/75R17E's to be exact. The yellow tire sticker on the door recommends 55# psi in the front tires, and 60# psi in the rears.

Wonder if Ford would recommend inflation numbers on non OEM tires?

me.camper wrote:
I just got a 2013 f150 3.5 ecoboost and would like to get some LT tires for it. Anyone have a load range rating recommendation? Also what do you run for pressure with that load range tire on a half ton. Thanks any info is appreciated.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
I have michelin tires E rated in 245/75R17 size and I run them at 60psi in the rear and 45psi on the front when towing.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Chris Bryant wrote:
Something I found interesting- just had my car safety inspection, and they gave me a readout if tread wear- I have the tires - Michelin Defender- inflated 2 psi over the listed inflation, yet the readout showed shoulder wear, indicating under inflation. I'm running 35 psi now (32 psi recommended), will bump it up to near 40.
This is a passenger auto, obviously.

Underinflation is only 1 cause of outside tread wear.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get the "E" tires as that will help a LOT with stability towing a TT !!! Weigh your rig loaded and unloaded, use the weight/inflation chart and add 5psi to rears and 10 psi to fronts.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Something I found interesting- just had my car safety inspection, and they gave me a readout if tread wear- I have the tires - Michelin Defender- inflated 2 psi over the listed inflation, yet the readout showed shoulder wear, indicating under inflation. I'm running 35 psi now (32 psi recommended), will bump it up to near 40.
This is a passenger auto, obviously.
-- Chris Bryant

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I've got Michelin LT E rated tires ( Defender tires I think ) on my 2013 ECO. 6000lb loaded trailer.

I run 40psi not towing and 55psi towing. Does great.

I guess you will get more stiffness at max pressure when towing but I don't think I need 80psi.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
If you get D or E load tires, they'll last longer than LT C or P tires. Air pressure is whatever you want for the load your carrying, roads you're on and how you want the truck to ride.
For day to day empty driving, same pressures as you currently prefer or a shade less due to the tires being slightly stiffer.

After that, it's load pressure table if you're unsure, or run em however stiff you want them. I cannot think of a situation where a full 80 psi is warranted for anything a 1/2 ton can tow or haul, and I can do some stupid stuff with 1/2 tons!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
me.camper wrote:

Thing is, You want the tires for stability. You don't need them for weight. Your truck can't carry the weight they are rated for.

So to gain the stability you want while towing. Air them to the max on the side wall while towing. The air will stiffen the side walls, and give you a more stable towing experience.

Of course, air down when not towing. I run 35 psi when not towing.

As to what kind of tires. If you have the 18s. I had to get GoodYear Wranglers, rated to 2700lbs There were no Coopers offered in that size. If you have 17s. I would go with Coopers rated to 2601lb
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
When I put 275/65/18 E rated Michelins on my 2010 F150, Discount Tire said 45 PSI was all that was needed for my RAWR of 4050 lbs.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could set the tire pressure at the manufacturer’s recommendation or you could ask those who are guessing, speculating or figuring.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad