cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cover for electric tongue jack?

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a couple of mods that cover folks electric tongue jack With a plastic trash can or 5 gallon bucket. Should I be doing this? Mine has a plastic cover on the top of the jack like this here. I just bought it this winter and was wondering if this was something I should do.

Thanks...
-DH
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
34 REPLIES 34

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
They make vinyl covers that are available at Camping World. They should be weatherproof by design, but I like mine covered nonetheless.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I used to just reach under the cover to operate the jack. No more!!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
I cover mine too. Watch out for wasp nests!

YEP...
Around here Red Wasp's love campers. Nasty little buggers too.
They really hurt.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I cover mine too. Watch out for wasp nests!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

jf504mp
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been to this sight in awhile so this may not be much help to you but I cut the top off of a Round Up weed killer container. It had all the right dimensions for an electric jack. I have toed the TT to Florida a couple of times and it stayed put.

Anthony_C
Explorer II
Explorer II
here is what I did to mine, my trailer has all black accent color but the electric jack up front was white? looked out of place, it was also showing signs of sun damage to the outer plastic so I went to Lowes home improvement store near me and bought some black plastic spray "plastidip" it is the one they say you can paint your car with. it made the jack look brand new again and now after several coats it is protected as all joints are covered in plastic. nice thing is if you want to you can peel it off later and redo it or change the color.
2020 Ford F-450 FX4,6.7 power Stroke diesel. Max Tow package. towing a 2021 Grand Design Solitude.

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
A 2 1/2 gallon oil container works about perfect. Cut the top out of it.

I do have the Atwood and I did 303 UV spray it, however I still cover it. Living out in snow cover or high sun does not do this plastic good long term.

Here is mine. It works perfect with my LP tank cover. Easy on and easy off and does not blow off in windy weather when the camper is stored outside.

Thanks for all the responses. I like this one, dress it up a little and it almost looks like a stock part. good nuf...
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these:

Clicky

I got it on sale for 15 bucks delivered and it seems to work fine.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
You can put one of the Tall Orange Traffic Cones over it.
I sealed the top and just drop it over the jack.
It keeps a traffic Cone handy if you need one.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a cheap camping chair for $5.00 , used the cover for the
tow bar on the MH. Should work for the jack.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife made ours, plus a cover for our Hensley hitch out of old bar-b-que cover material. Like others here, I operate the switches right though the cover material and there is no need to remove it. There has been no condensation inside and no damage at all to the jack. It, and it's successor, has been on there about 10 years.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
If you want one or think you need one, they do make them like this UF one: http://www.ultra-fab.com/new_detail.cfm?mfgnum=38-944020
I have one similar to this that I picked up at CW, seems to be working fine.

roadrider10
Explorer
Explorer
I cover my electric tongue jack with a large clear ziploc bag. Never see moisture in the bag and I never need to take it off. I can operate the light and access the switches with the bag on. My jack has some rubber hole covers which could leak as they dry out. Hard to even see the clear bag.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
A 2 1/2 gallon oil container works about perfect. Cut the top out of it.

I do have the Atwood and I did 303 UV spray it, however I still cover it. Living out in snow cover or high sun does not do this plastic good long term.

Here is mine. It works perfect with my LP tank cover. Easy on and easy off and does not blow off in windy weather when the camper is stored outside.

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.