cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPAP machine and batteries

djg
Explorer
Explorer
I've just been informed I have to use a CPAP machine and was wondering if anyone out there uses this with just batteries, currently have 2 AGM 12 volt batteries group 31 I think about 240 amp hrs and was wondering if that is enough power to run a home unit. We usually drive during the day and do not camp for much time mostly sightseeing tc'ers, love the driving part and love scenery
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel
68 REPLIES 68

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
rickeyleee - Some, but not all, CPAP makes/models have 12V cords available. Consult your owner's manual or contact the manufacturer. If they have such a cord, buy it and use in the a 12V socket in your RV.

The other quick option is to get a small portable inverter, plug it into a 12V socket, and plug the CPAP into the inverter.

Yes, a CPAP plus humidifier uses more power than just a plain CPAP, but if you need the humidifier then you need it. I use my humidifier, but set it on 1 or 2 instead of the 3 that was prescribed. Call it a compromise. It works for me.

My RV has 2 6V AGM batteries, no solar, no generator, and charging occurs when I drive. No problems, and I can go for 3 or 4 nights using the humidifier without running the batteries down too much. Your setup is different. Monitor it carefully until you know how much current you use. I bought a digital voltmeter, about $15, which plugs into a 12V outlet and I find it very easy to use for monitoring the level of my batteries.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

djg
Explorer
Explorer
rickeyleee I use an adapter that you can get for the machine plugs into the cigarett adapter or run one with a line from the batteries, if you buy the battery pack I was told it is very expensive so a 2 battery system gives you enough power to run for days, if you travel every day your 1 battery should do the trick. We just did a trip to Calgary Alberta beginning of April, first night it was -21C had to use the heater and cpap and woke up and tested the batteries and they were still at 12.5 volts, I have 2-31group agm batteries they are charged every day when traveling never had a problem there and back, we also had the heater on in the day to keep the camper a little warm as it was still cold all day 2 and also went down to -11c in Winnipeg Manitoba the second night so it is probably cheaper to just put in a second battery than buy the battery pack.

David

rickeyleee
Explorer
Explorer
Ok... maybe I jumped the gun on that last post. After doing some research (God, isn't google great)... I see that most if not all CPAP machines are 12 volt machines even though you plug them into your wall socket (that's how I interpreted it anyhow). So.... if I buy one of the CPAP battery backups, and make sure that is charged throughout the day from my RV battery, I should be able to go many days. Also read where using the humidifier drains the backup battery at least twice as fast. Does all of this garble sound pretty much correct?

rickeyleee
Explorer
Explorer
New here and a little confused on using my CPAP machine in my travel trailer. I just read here where many of you do it but confused how. Looked like some said they plugged there 12 volt machine into an inverter which to me means 110V. Anyhow, I want to use humidifier cause I without it, I can't sleep (mouth breather and my mouth dries up which wakes me up) and would like to use my home machine which is 110V.
Travel Trailer has just one battery.
1- Do I need to purchase a 12 volt machine with humidifier to plug into 12 volt.
2- Do I need to purchase an inverter to hook to battery to use my 110V home machine.
3- Do I need need a few 6 volt deep cells and a solar panel to run an inverter for any length of time?
Any suggestions?
Thanks folks...looks like a great forum!

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
TCBob, a well stated and informative post. Thanks.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

TCBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using CPAP for years. A couple years tent camping before buying my TC. Started, and continue to use a "RV Deep cycle" battery with invertor. Usually lasts my whole trip. If extended trip, I charge it with Honda during the day for a couple hrs. I have always used my home unit, with humidifier.

Since owning the TC, I carry the battery in truck bed, ahead of wheel well in marine style battery box. In cold weather, bring it into TC in corner of the floor. Overall this works well, never concerened about draining house batteries (×2) or power for CPAP!

My life has changed since using the CPAP. The benifits are so good for me, but not really for this forum...but sufice to say, wouldn't be without it, AND not willing to limit my lifestyle because of it. Made it work for me! Hope you have the positive benifits I have, and don't allow it to limit you!
2004 S&S 8.5 SC Ponderosa
1999 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3-PSD DRW

djg
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
FreebirdFlies wrote:
There are 2 good reasons distilled water is reccommended to use in the CPAP.
As mention before, the scum/mineral issue, in the water, and left in the water reservoir after evaporation.
The other reason relates to bacteria. Pure water with no minerals does not support bacterial growth well, but TAP water usually has minerals in it that do contribute to bacterial growth. It is a warm moist location which promotes growth. Also most tap water does contain some bacteria. If the count is too high, it is considered unsafe, but if the count is low, it is safe for healthy citizen consumption and deemed potable. Bacteria can travel by air, and the air flow goes into your lungs.
Distilled water is cheap. The risk to using tap water is low, but the reason for the strong recommendations to use distilled water is the companies lawyers don't want liability when a problem does happen. And it will, to somebody somewhere. Don't be that person....?

Question. Did I do the study? Yes.

x2, Well said.

I have reverse osmosis water at home told by cpap company that is even better than distilled, but both work just the same we are on a cistern out in the country where we live and also collect rain water from the roof but have a uv light to kill bacteria works great

David

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
FreebirdFlies wrote:
As mention before, the scum/mineral issue, in the water, and left in the water reservoir after evaporation.
The other reason relates to bacteria. Pure water with no minerals does not support bacterial growth well, but TAP water usually has minerals in it that do contribute to bacterial growth. It is a warm moist location which promotes growth. Also most tap water does contain some bacteria. If the count is too high, it is considered unsafe, but if the count is low, it is safe for healthy citizen consumption and deemed potable. Bacteria can travel by air, and the air flow goes into your lungs.
Distilled water is cheap. The risk to using tap water is low, but the reason for the strong recommendations to use distilled water is the companies lawyers don't want liability when a problem does happen. And it will, to somebody somewhere. Don't be that person....?

x2, Well said.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
djg wrote:
I've just been informed I have to use a CPAP machine and was wondering if anyone out there uses this with just batteries, currently have 2 AGM 12 volt batteries group 31 I think about 240 amp hrs and was wondering if that is enough power to run a home unit. We usually drive during the day and do not camp for much time mostly sightseeing tc'ers, love the driving part and love scenery

My DW has been using a CPAP for years and your battery system has plenty of excessive power for operating your CPAP. I installed a 400 watt inverter near our bed and just plug it into a 12Vdc J-socket next to it. As long as your batteries are good and charge you'll sleep without worry.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Early on I asked the DH if he knew he stopped breathing at night. Neither he nor I got a good night's sleep - him because of his frequent non-breathing episodes and me because I found myself staying awake to give him a nudge to start his breathing up again. He did the sleep test then he went to work and started comparing his numbers to others in the office who'd been tested. Like a typical man, the bigger the number the better - how often breathing stopped per hour, how long the lapse, how high a setting on the machine, ... But, as others have stated, no problem running off a battery as long as the humidifier isn't used.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
I think most of the time your wife has already noticed that you stop breathing between snores. The study is just to confirm it.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
FreebirdFlies wrote:
everyone I know who does a "sleep study".... ends up with a prescription for the machine.

You noticed that too, eh?

Of course, you all get a copy of your study and an explanation, right? I was amazed, and frightened, by mine. I mostly assume anyone having a study is having it for a reason. And cpap is the most effective treatment.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
FreebirdFlies wrote:
everyone I know who does a "sleep study".... ends up with a prescription for the machine.

You noticed that too, eh?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
FreebirdFlies wrote:

I DO need the machine, but everyone I know who does a "sleep study".... ends up with a prescription for the machine.
Did you do the study?

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke