Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cracked motor mount

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Sierra, 6.2, tow package.

Recently completed a trip to/from BC/Denver Co, pulling a fairly small (4000 lbs loaded) travel trailer. Have done this trip a few times in the past. Usually under 65mph max and no rough driving. Am a conservative driver and don't mistreat vehicle (like race off the line etc.).

Upon return, visited my local mechanic for oil change. Part of that service is tire rotation and inspection of various components.

Mechanic reports that the left motor mount is cracked and needs replacing. Advises that this issue is not completely uncommon and usually related to engine torque (which is why it is common on left side).

I am on my fourth truck and have never experienced this issue before, however, this is the first truck that I have used to tow a trailer of this weight (last one only towed a 2000 lb light), although this truck is rated for 10,400 lbs so this trailer is quite light, comparatively.

Anyone familiar with this issue, who can comment on whether it is related to trailer towing or just day in/day out torque from this sized engine? As stated, I am very conservative and have never "pushed" this vehicle. If it is a direct result of torque, wondering what I can possibly do to mitigate future potential issues.

Thanks,

Marv
22 REPLIES 22

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it truly has failed, you would feel a thump when accelerating.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
byronlj wrote:
You can crawl around underneath the vehicle all day and never be able to spot a separated motor mount.
Have someone power brake the vehicle while you are looking under the hood. If the engine climbs on one side, it is separated.
Dave

Pretty much. My old Chrysler was easy because of the old style engine driven fan. When a mount let go, the fan hit the shroud and made a heck of a racket when you got on the gas.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
You can crawl around underneath the vehicle all day and never be able to spot a separated motor mount.
Have someone power brake the vehicle while you are looking under the hood. If the engine climbs on one side, it is separated.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
GM years ago redesigned motor mounts to include a built in stop, to keep it from being completely lifted up off the frame. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 66 Chrysler 300 with a 440 TNT. It liked to eat LH mounts so now I have a chain on it so it can only flex so far. They didn't crack, the rubber separated from the metal.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a second opinion for sure. If it does need replacing, thank your local mechanic and stay with the service. If it does not... get under, take a picture of it up close with a digital camera, and see what it looks like the next time you are about to go to the mechanic again.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would crawl under there and look for myself.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing, not a difficult replacement and the part isn't that expensive either. Never broken a motor mount and I have a diesel.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB