cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dad looking for family's first camper. Bunk vs. Rear living

826storm
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, here goes my maiden voyage into RVing. I find it odd as 10 years ago I admittedly scoffed at the idea of owning a camper as I held steadfast to my opinion that the only real camping was done from a tent. Ha ha ha. Well, with age comes wisdom I guess (and usually better finances) and now I find myself wanting a camper in the worst way. I recently purchased some land here on the Cedar River in Iowa with electrical and water. Since this location is somewhat prone to flooding I really like the idea of having a camper there instead of a cabin. My family, friends and I spend a lot of time on the river in the boat and I just love the idea of having a camper backed up to the river with my boat tied up 20 yards away. Although it may sound like I'm rambling the intent of my setup in scenery is to explain my desire to have a rear living set-up even though I have 2 boys (age 7&9). I love the idea of that large back window with the recliners turned facing the river drinking coffee, watching it rain, ect. The bulk of my apprehension revolves around the almost unanimous opinion that if you have kids you want a bunk house. I have told myself (and my wife agrees) that we can easily manage sleeping agreements with the fold out couch and table. Or heck, my boys almost prefer during on an air mattress over there own beds. Anyhow I would LOVE to hear your expert opinions on this. Am I out of my mind our is the bunghouse trade off warranted for the bigger rear living room facing the river?

I have a 2007 Silverado crew cab 4x4 that is rated for 7500# for pulling.
35 REPLIES 35

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
We also love our bunkhouse as it has worked great for my family allowing both kids to have their space to relax if they want.

However, if I were looking for a new TT right now, I would highly consider looking at a ToyHauler type. You can still get smaller units which could be pulled with your truck. The nice thing about the TH versions is where the back end of the trailer can have multiple configurations. Bunks that drop down from the ceiling with fold up couches or swivel chairs. Add to that, the ability for some to have "decks" on the back where you could buy purpose built screening to "enclose" the back deck. Some of the configurations are very versatile and can suit most wants.

ToyHaulers do not have to be used to haul around toys.
I love me some land yachting

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd go with a bunkhouse for the many reasons already stated, and then I'd build some sort of covered deck outside. I'm thinking a roof over a 8'x12' foot area, maybe just a back wall, maybe 3 walls with an open front. Couple of big rocking chairs with comfy cushions that could be stored inside... fire pit just outside the roof... Situate the structure so that you can just back the camper right up to it, maybe make use of an outside kitchen. I'd probably put a futon or couch in there and would end up sleeping outside most of the time!
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
With kids I'd bo with the bunkhouse. We love ours.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if your boys are interested in tent/or small out building, but it does make it nice for adults. Several years ago, we put a storage shed on a lot in FL and camped in it when we were fishing in the area.

I will say if you think they are going to prefer sleeping in the camper, get a bunkhouse. I have a trailer that I love the floorplan when it is just me. I bought it for just me. My kids are grown and out on their own. The few times my son traveled with me, he pitched his tent. Now the last few times I have gone in the trailer, my mother has joined me. She insists on sleeping on the sofa, but I have no "me" time to get up and have coffee. It does make things a bit strained when we are trying to get out and get going. She and I stayed in TT for a week visiting my DD and DGD, and the trailer got entirely too small without us each having our own area.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Helmsey wrote:
One thing to think about with a rear living room (forgive me if it's been posted but I didn't read all the responses) is what will you do when the kids go to bed in the living room? If the kids are sleeping and the adults want to hang out its everyone to the bedroom or everyone out under the awning. Might not be a huge issue, but something to think about.

Yup.. alsways nice to be able to come in and sit on the couch or dinette while the kids are asleep in thier own beds...

As stated same as waking up... You dont have to wait till the kids get up to have your coffe and watch some TV...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to think about with a rear living room (forgive me if it's been posted but I didn't read all the responses) is what will you do when the kids go to bed in the living room? If the kids are sleeping and the adults want to hang out its everyone to the bedroom or everyone out under the awning. Might not be a huge issue, but something to think about.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
826storm wrote:
Wow! What great responses, you all are great! I sure appreciate everyone's thoughts in helping me decide what's best fit my family... After all the feedback on the bunks I'm definitely more receptive to the idea. I guess I just really liked that idea of the recliner by the river ha ha ha. One question I have is instead of one of those couches that come with most campers do you suppose a dealer would be receptive to swapping it for one of those double entertainment chair getups? I just want a place I can kick back and be comfortable when it's a hundy outside. Gregrc75 what model number is that keystone above? That's a pretty gnarly setup! As for being close on weight I really only intend to use this thing down at our land or maybe a 25 mile radius from our house. I can't remember who asked but I'm down close on the Cedar to where it meets up with the Iowa river by Columbus Junction. I did look at those coachman apex campers and I must say I am impressed. Quite a bit lighter and slick looking units. I found a dealer about an hour away that had quite a few 2015 models, might have to go see if they want to deal. I gravitated towards that 288 model.

Hello, Looks like they only made it in 2013 and 2014. Im sorry about that! Maybe you can find a left over or a used unit. It is a Keystone Bullet Premier 33BLPR.

(I have the same floor plan minus the bunks)

Bullet Premier
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm a loyal Thor Industries RVer, and partial to Dutchmen and Keystone. So, I'm pretty familiar with the Keystone brand. I just went through every floor plan on Keystone's line up and couldn't find a rear living with bunks in a travel trailer format. Now, if you go 5er, there are more options.

One other thing you might consider, a Toy Hauler! They make some pretty nice bumper pull Toy Haulers with the bunk beds (Queen size or bigger) in the back that slide up and down. Open that gigantic tail gate and you've got one dandy view. Drop that tail gate down and turn it into a porch! There's a new possibility. But, in the winter, if you get snow, it might not be so pleasant opening that big door for a great view, unless you wear a red suit and your coach is pulled by reindeer! Still, it's something else to think about!

Sorry, I still have had no luck finding a rear living travel trailer with bunks yet on the internet.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention how many kids you have, but here goes my thoughts:

I've never cared for bunk houses. Some of them are quite short. Short enough that growing boys will outgrow in just a few years. I also don't like the fact that a bunkhouse is usable for pretty much one thing - sleeping. It isn't a multi use area.

Rear living puts the kids on the dinette and couch, that is true. Or, if you find the right rear living plan, they can have a full size bed fold out of the couch. That is the way our current TT is. It literally takes about as much time to fold the couch out as it does to do a jacknife couch. Each kid grabs a sleeping bad, throws it on the folded out bed, and is ready for sleep in just a few minutes. 15/13, 6' tall and 5'7" tall. Working like a champ.

Space in a camper is limited, and I really like to have multi use spaces.

Now, if you have more than two kids, things change a bit. ๐Ÿ™‚
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

826storm
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! What great responses, you all are great! I sure appreciate everyone's thoughts in helping me decide what's best fit my family... After all the feedback on the bunks I'm definitely more receptive to the idea. I guess I just really liked that idea of the recliner by the river ha ha ha. One question I have is instead of one of those couches that come with most campers do you suppose a dealer would be receptive to swapping it for one of those double entertainment chair getups? I just want a place I can kick back and be comfortable when it's a hundy outside. Gregrc75 what model number is that keystone above? That's a pretty gnarly setup! As for being close on weight I really only intend to use this thing down at our land or maybe a 25 mile radius from our house. I can't remember who asked but I'm down close on the Cedar to where it meets up with the Iowa river by Columbus Junction. I did look at those coachman apex campers and I must say I am impressed. Quite a bit lighter and slick looking units. I found a dealer about an hour away that had quite a few 2015 models, might have to go see if they want to deal. I gravitated towards that 288 model.

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone makes/made a travel trailer rear living room with bunks.

Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
Can you park your trailer sideways/parallel to the river? You might get more use out of an awning screen room facing the river that can do double duty as a screened sleeping area.

As for bunks, we use ours as really nice storage areas.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
If the kids are 5 years older (in their teen years), and the home is only a couple miles away, more than likely, in 5 years, the kids will stop coming, or at least spending nights in the camper. Once they get old enough to start working and driving, they start living their own lives. They won't want to go to the camper any more, if parents are there.

True. Of course with "camp" only 2 miles away from home it will make a perfect place to take a girlfriend...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If the kids are 5 years older (in their teen years), and the home is only a couple miles away, more than likely, in 5 years, the kids will stop coming, or at least spending nights in the camper. Once they get old enough to start working and driving, they start living their own lives. They won't want to go to the camper any more, if parents are there.