cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dash Cracking

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Anyone else have this problem? I have a 2009 Silverado and out of the blue the dash is cracking on the drivers side and passenger side. After some research I found out this seems to be a common problem. Has anyone had this repaired and did Chevy do anything about it? Evidently there was a class action lawsuit filed at one time but nothing ever became of it.
11 REPLIES 11

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My Suburban dash is also cracked. I will probably just get a Coverlay some day. I use Aerospace 303 on the dash a few times each year, but still cracked in 2 places around 90k miles.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Down here in the SW every one uses these as the heat kills dash boards.
https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/dash-covers
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gulfcoast wrote:
Hard dash cover
Do these blend in well with the rest of the dash or can you tell something is stuck on over the original dash? Also if where it is cracked is popped up slightly is that a problem when laying this over it?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A cracked dash is expensive to fix. It is one of things to avoid in older collectable cars. I live in Nevada at 5,000 feet. The UV is intense in the land of severe clear. The first thing I do when I get a hold of a new vehicle is install a dash cover.

FeatherFam
Explorer
Explorer
To date, I have not had a dash problem with a truck. I did have a Toyota dash that melted and emitted strange odors. Toyota stalled on the recall for three years. We finally traded it for a another car (FCA).

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Your not alone, mine did the same thing about 2 years ago. I always keep sunshades in and it still cracked. It’s common with the premium dash. I have 2 cracks and eventually will purchase a dash cover. Sad to see GM cheapen the plastic and connecting points on the dash. I tried speaking to the dealer with no help. They want a stupid amount of cash to replace it. Since I’m very much able to do the job myself, I will. Good luck and let us know if you find a quality dash cover, cause I will probably do the same.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Hard dash cover
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had the dash crack on my 05 Chevy. I tried getting one from Chevy but no good.

After doing a lot of web searching I found this site and ordered an replacement. It's in the body shop right now having the Hood, Roof, doors and fenders repainted due to fading. This is due to Checy's paint and FL Sun.

Replacement Parts Including Dash Panel Replacements
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I put a dash cover over ours after it cracked. Short of replacing the dash not much else you can do.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
They wouldn't do anything for me and that was a couple years ago.
Their reply was that since my truck had over 100,000 miles the dash is past its prime.

I bought a full size Dashcap from JC Whitney and then traded the truck in on a new Ram.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
d1h wrote:
Anyone else have this problem? I have a 2009 Silverado and out of the blue the dash is cracking on the drivers side and passenger side. After some research I found out this seems to be a common problem. Has anyone had this repaired and did Chevy do anything about it? Evidently there was a class action lawsuit filed at one time but nothing ever became of it.

Pretty sure you can get another one, and should you get one. Best way to prevent it. Keep it covered. the window shaded do a great job of protecting your dash
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers