Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delamination - not leak caused?

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Cougar 27RLS.

When we bought it new there was delam in the front clip and had to have the front panel replaced (under warranty).

5 years later I'm looking at it and pretty much the entire front and back panel (left to right, top to bottom) is delaminated. I can press and pushes in about 1/8-1/4".

There is no hint of visible water damage inside or out (other than the delam...).

I check the roof twice a year, the sealant always looks good (I haven't had to re caulk). Is this a non leak problem or have I not been picky enough on my inspection and I have leaks?

Given that the front was delaminated when new, I'm guessing there was some workmanship issues?

Note: both sides are perfect, no delam.
TV: 2012 Ram 2500
TT: 2023 Cougar 22MLS
9 REPLIES 9

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Composet
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

RVguy77
Explorer
Explorer
weather it is from water damage or not, it is good to fix it. Composet Products offers a lot of good ways to fix it for fairly cheap

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
Any other thoughts on this? I've looked and looked and can't find any water damage. I'm guessing this is a cosmetic issue only?

Is this common?

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
With rv repair, it depends on who performs the repair. I have seen 18 yr olds assigned to jobs that deserved a more qualified mechanic with experience. Work fast, get the job finished and move the unit out of a needed bay is the name of the game.

Do you know if the OEM build used a vacuum bonded filon method ? If it was then your TT should have been returned to the factory for repair.

If the first repair was made by your dealer and NOT the factory (under warranty), then maybe the dealer rolled the filon in place which is a less expensive mode of repair. Vacuum bonded units are usually factory performed due to expensive equipment.

One other thing i forgot to mention when you were checking the roof seams for cracked caulk did you overlook the clearance lights.
They use the cheapest lights on the market and they leak.

I'm pretty sure it was vacuum bonded as I recall them telling us the original problem was a pin hole leak in the vacuum process. And I know they did not send it back to the factory.

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
Is my thinking that it's not leak caused justified? With the whole panel delaminated I'd think it would have to be a heck of a leak? and if the leak was that big there would be other leak evidence?

no stains on the wall or floor, never wet inside, nothing.

The front makes sense. it was delaminated from the factory and they may not have fixed it right. the rear makes less sense.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
LoudDog wrote:
The back gets pretty good sun exposure, the front not so much.

It could have been like this for a while. It does not look bubbled as the whole panel is one big bubble. The sun was hitting it just right today, so I push tested it and discovered it.

Contrary to popular belief, our summers are pretty nice. We go about 3 straight months of no rain and mostly sunny skies with a week or two in the 90's. Don't tell anyone though, we use the rain thing to keep people away 🙂
Mine started out as two dinner plate size spots towards the top front corners. My comment about the sun was where your at the sun is not as intense as it is in the south, no 110+ degree temperatures.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
With rv repair, it depends on who performs the repair. I have seen 18 yr olds assigned to jobs that deserved a more qualified mechanic with experience. Work fast, get the job finished and move the unit out of a needed bay is the name of the game.

Do you know if the OEM build used a vacuum bonded filon method ? If it was then your TT should have been returned to the factory for repair.

If the first repair was made by your dealer and NOT the factory (under warranty), then maybe the dealer rolled the filon in place which is a less expensive mode of repair. Vacuum bonded units are usually factory performed due to expensive equipment.

One other thing i forgot to mention when you were checking the roof seams for cracked caulk did you overlook the clearance lights.
They use the cheapest lights on the market and they leak.

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
The back gets pretty good sun exposure, the front not so much.

It could have been like this for a while. It does not look bubbled as the whole panel is one big bubble. The sun was hitting it just right today, so I push tested it and discovered it.

Contrary to popular belief, our summers are pretty nice. We go about 3 straight months of no rain and mostly sunny skies with a week or two in the 90's. Don't tell anyone though, we use the rain thing to keep people away 🙂

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes if they are parked in the sun the glue will let go, usually happens when new though. Happened to a little Sidekick TT I had parked under a car port but the sun baked the front of the unit. Where your at the sun and temperature shouldn't be a issue.