cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I make a mistake in Financing? How long do you finance?

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer
oh boy....stupid me.... purchased my camper last summer... 2014 primetime rv... first camper ever... I didn't know any better... none of my family members nor friend camp or own campers so this was my wife and I sole decision...anyways, stupid me, not knowning any better financed this camper for 12 years... I didn't know any better.. spoke to my credit union for the financing and they told me most people finance these for 12-15 years..
I admit, I should have researched more, but I didn't... has anyone else made a big boo-boo like this? and no, I cant afford to double up on my monthly payments right now to pay off sooner... do these campers with proper care, generally last this long? I don't want a camper breaking down in two years with ten more years of payments...how bad are they to trade in? do they depreciate just like a car?
I know its all too late now and we cant change this, but im just wondering if anyone else has ever made a boo-boo like this and financed the camper this long? or am I the only poor sole...LOL
131 REPLIES 131

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
sherpaxc wrote:
I disagree. This is NOT the time to go into debt and teach your kids poor spending habits. This is the time to tighten the belt and make due with less. Hey, I'm not saying don't camp. I am 34 with a wife and kid and we camp all summer long. We are both teachers. But my truck and trailer are paid for. Yes, I took a loan out for both but both were paid for within a year because I bought used but in excellent condition.

I don't buy the whole, this is the time while the kids are young.

If my financial success is based on a camper payment then it really does not matter. We could choose to stay in cabins @ $150 a night. 3 nights $350. 3 nights camp spot $50/ night is $150. That leaves $200.? Hmmm a camper payment.

To each his own I guess. Oh I teach also. 12 months at local high school. Yes 12 not 10.

I don't want to look back & think I wish I had .....
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

sherpaxc
Explorer
Explorer
I disagree. This is NOT the time to go into debt and teach your kids poor spending habits. This is the time to tighten the belt and make due with less. Hey, I'm not saying don't camp. I am 34 with a wife and kid and we camp all summer long. We are both teachers. But my truck and trailer are paid for. Yes, I took a loan out for both but both were paid for within a year because I bought used but in excellent condition.

I don't buy the whole, this is the time while the kids are young.
08 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line is this, if you have small kids NOW is the time to have a camper to enjoy it with them. To me this is more important than $ as long as you can cover the basics of living. I am not perfect and probably can do better with our finances but I have maybe 4 years til all kids are out of the house and I want to enjoy it.

We just purchased a 2011 Sabre for $21000. Put 10% down, 4.99% for 12 years. Could have done 8 years but same 4.99%. Payments only $175. Now I plan on paying $250 but if there is a tight month I will pay $175. $175 is not a lot now days to have the enjoyment we get.

Pass the plate cause I am done.

Enjoy it. Make extra on the payment if you can. If not, who cares?
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can only say that yes you made a mistake.
He who cannot afford to pay cash should not finance a travel trailer or anything else accept a house or vehicle.
You'll never get out from under
Tent until you can afford to pay cash, and you'll enjoy that trailer much more

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
v10superduty wrote:
sherpaxc wrote:
I made the same mistake with a truck. Impulse buy and I was upside down. I ended up selling it, cutting my loses, paying off what I owed and calling it a lesson learned. I then saved up and bought a pop up camper for 5k.

Please don't expect to pay 15 years on that thing. It's not worth it. Everyone makes mistakes, but your's can be fixed. Cut your losses and sell it.

So this guy who obviously wants to go camping has a brand new camper in his yard at a payment he can afford. He is going to pay a whack of interest if he doesn't re-fi lower or make some extra payments BUT he has a camper he can afford..

He is badly upside down and your "advice" is to sell it now at a loss, still owe probably quite a lot, don't get to go camping but keep making payments on something you don't have? :h

Sorry, but I can't agree and doubt he will take this advice..

Sorry, but I can't agree and he needs to take sherpaxc's advice. For you finicial genuis 15 years at 10% equals to paying for it 2 times... OP Taking your monthly payment and X 12 and X 15 and I come up with $40,500. How much did it cost and how much did you put down? Campaign tastes on a beer pocket book. Cut your loses while it's still fairly new, borrow what it takes to pay off the difference, get a 2nd job and buy something you can afford at %4 for seven years so you are only paying 125%, not 200%. The only way to really get ahead is to live below your means which really means paying cash BUT that's too late.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

chezmoose
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Big Ray wrote:
There sure are a few rude people on rv.net smh:R

True. Well actually, more than a few. Hey OP, as long as you make the payment and it's not killing you, Enjoy. I agree, your interest rate is not the greatest in the current environment, and agree with the poster that suggests you explore refinance options that may be available to you. If a re-fi cut 4 points or so off you interest rate that's some nice savings...........

I agree that it's worth your time and money to call some other banks. My credit union (that we've dealt with for years) wanted 7.75%. The Big Bank down the street was asking 3.99 for the same length loan but gave us a RV Show Special of 3.74%. I'd rather bank at my CU but for the difference in rates...

Because yours is a 2014 I believe you would qualify at the "new" rate on a refi.
DH, Me and 3 Australian Shepherds
2011 F150 EcoBoost Super Crew
"Elsa" - 2014 Skyline Eco Camp 19WQ
"Stella" - 1974 Starcraft Galaxy 6 PUP

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, your lender should be sending you an irs interest statement. If your unit has a bathroom and kitchen it qualifies as a second home and you are allowed to deduct your interest paid.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yankeeslover writes “M GO BLUE.... I pay roughly $225.00 per month...If I divide by 12 that comes to $19.00...if I pay $20.00 more per month, what will this acchive? will that even put a dent in what I owe? im just courious...... thanks...”

From the info gleaned from your posts..

You borrowed approx $21K (calculated from payment, interest rate and loan term) at an interest rate of 9.9% with monthly payment $225 for 15 years.

Per an Amortization calculator

HERE

Your average Principle payment per month is about $55 for the first year and monthly interest is about $170

The last year (yr15) of your loan Principle payment per month is about $210 and interest is about $15

Adding $25 per month (for the "life" of the loan) additional PRINCIPLE payment to your loan payment will reduce the length of your loan by about 35 months or 2 yrs and 11 months..

Adding $55 per month (for the "life" of the loan) additional PRINCIPLE payment to your loan payment will reduce the length of your loan by 63 months or 5 yr and 3 months..

You see, the beginning of the loan is where you pay the most interest ( about 1/3 Principle and 2/3 Interest), basically you pay the most interest during the first 2/3 of the loan terms or in your case 10 years. Once you pass 10 years (2/3 paid) your payment to the Principle is larger than the Interest.

By adding a small amount against the PRINCIPLE amount borrowed you can easily reduce the time length of the loan and at the same time save yourself a lot of interest cost (Paying excessive interest on goods and services simply eats up your "buying power")..

The amount of interest you pay depends on the remaining amount of UNPAID PRINCIPLE so paying back extra against the Principle really can make a dent in how much time it takes to pay off and in the end dramatically cuts down on the Interest you have to pay..

You do not need to “double” your payment but simply match the PRINCIPLE that is being paid back per month. The interest and length of the loan will drop dramatically if you do this.

I would start at paying $55 extra per month to the PRINCIPLE if you can swing it.

You WILL need to make sure you indicate how the extra amount is to be applied, loan companies automatically assume it is towards the entire loan and will not apply it to the Principle amount borrowed.

If you can’t swing $55 right now then $25 but I would recommend doing something as opposed to doing nothing.

The more you can swing now the better it will be later..

Rant on.. (sorry if this "offends", it isn't meant to but most likely will come off that way)

For those who say that they cannot “afford” to pay extra against the Principle, I say baloney.

$25 per month can be “found” by not eating out at a fast food restaurants as often, by reducing once a month (IE family of 4 eating at the tarnished arches typically costs $25, family of 4 eating at Subway will set you back $30 and that is if you split two foot long subs).

$55 per month can be found by reducing your dining out at Red lobster or most any steakhouse by once a month for two people..

Or perhaps reducing movie night out (admission of a family of 4 with all the snack fixings can easily cost $80)..

Even simple small things like not eating out every day at lunch time during work hrs.. Reduce that to four times a week and easily save $8 per week..

I make and carry my lunches to work (leftovers from home cooked meals and even simple sandwiches, these leftovers are dirt cheap and require very little effort), saves me at least $40 a week or $160 per month. My DW does the same so we actually “FIND” $320 a month by NOT eating out during working hrs!

How about the cost of “soft drinks”, “energy drinks” and such bought from vending machines, that stuff is pricy and really contributes nothing to your health or wallet.. Cut back even just one 20 oz bottle of soda out of a vending machine for the week and you save $1.50-$2.00 right there.. You PAY for the convenience.

Don’t get me started on expensive, exotic coffee shops..

Don’t go buy a new vehicle just because your current ride is no longer in vogue or is “boring”, or you are simply tired of looking at it.. If it is paid for, keep it for a while and fix as needed as long as the repairs don’t add up to a monthly payment every month..

Eat a lot of premade frozen foods? Very expensive (and not to mention terribly loaded with fats, sodium, sugars). Even fully precooked frozen boneless chicken will set you back $6 per pound. You can often buy FRESH refrigerated boneless chicken for $2 per pound..

Folks often just don’t understand, care or want to know where the money goes…

I challenge anyone to take one week and write down, tracking every single thing they buy, you will be shocked at just how much money is spent and on what it is spent on…

Create a monthly written budget, keep track of where and what the money is spent on, doing so will point out the places where you can find some lost money.

There ARE creative ways to find money, but it takes EFFORT to do so, it is far easier to simply pay the interest and have less buying power..

Rant off..

I will now step down from my soap box and allow the angry mobs attempt to storm the castle walls..

OP, I would suggest you take a look at the Amortization calculator in my link above and put your numbers in and play with different amounts and ways of paying off the loan faster..

chezmoose
Explorer
Explorer
yankeeslover wrote:
im so glad I started this thread... I had no idea that even adding $20.00 per month would help... going by those online calculators, adding $20.00 per month cut off over 3 years of the 15 year loan...that's huge.... im gonna try to figure out what difference that makes on my truck payment... I have 5 years to pay on my new truck... im assuming same logic can be applied there... I was under the assumption that I would need to double payments in order to pay off early but this is not even close the the case...even an extra $10.00 per month cut off 15 months from the bill..thats gigantic....

Here's a handy payment calculator that will show you how paying extra will affect your loan:

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx

We are in the process of financing our new travel trailer right now and are planning to go with a 12 year loan (3.74% interest) but paying it off in 5-7 years. We could buy it outright, but at those rates, why tie up our own money?
DH, Me and 3 Australian Shepherds
2011 F150 EcoBoost Super Crew
"Elsa" - 2014 Skyline Eco Camp 19WQ
"Stella" - 1974 Starcraft Galaxy 6 PUP

Rob_Mitch
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Big Ray wrote:

True. Well actually, more than a few. Hey OP, as long as you make the payment and it's not killing you, Enjoy. I agree, your interest rate is not the greatest in the current environment, and agree with the poster that suggests you explore refinance options that may be available to you. If a re-fi cut 4 points or so off you interest rate that's some nice savings...........

Yankeeslover, thomasmnile also has excellent advise. Refinancing at one or two percent may not be cost effective due to refinancing fees but three or four percent may well be worthwhile. Get all the facts first and look at any new loan on an amortization calc. Yes they can be an eye opener. I would almost NEVER agree on selling anything at a big loss as some suggest. Sounds to me that you have things under control but saving a few thousand in interest would be handy. The main thing though, you have a nice RV now so enjoy it.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I always use the same pattern when I buy a car or RV: Finance it for the longest term reasonably possible, but make sure there's no penalty for early payoff, then pay it off WAY early. Why? That way I can control how much I pay each month according to our (seasonally changing) income.

I financed my trailer for 12 years, and paid it off in 2 years. I financed the minivan that pulls it for 6 years and paid it off in 3.5. That was a while ago and I plan to keep both for at least another 4 years, assuming they both remain reasonably reliable.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer
im so glad I started this thread... I had no idea that even adding $20.00 per month would help... going by those online calculators, adding $20.00 per month cut off over 3 years of the 15 year loan...that's huge.... im gonna try to figure out what difference that makes on my truck payment... I have 5 years to pay on my new truck... im assuming same logic can be applied there... I was under the assumption that I would need to double payments in order to pay off early but this is not even close the the case...even an extra $10.00 per month cut off 15 months from the bill..thats gigantic....

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Big Ray wrote:

sherpaxc
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
sherpaxc wrote:
I made the same mistake with a truck. Impulse buy and I was upside down. I ended up selling it, cutting my loses, paying off what I owed and calling it a lesson learned. I then saved up and bought a pop up camper for 5k.

Please don't expect to pay 15 years on that thing. It's not worth it. Everyone makes mistakes, but your's can be fixed. Cut your losses and sell it.

So this guy who obviously wants to go camping has a brand new camper in his yard at a payment he can afford. He is going to pay a whack of interest if he doesn't re-fi lower or make some extra payments BUT he has a camper he can afford..

He is badly upside down and your "advice" is to sell it now at a loss, still owe probably quite a lot, don't get to go camping but keep making payments on something you don't have? :h

Sorry, but I can't agree and doubt he will take this advice..

Well, yeah. If we're gonna go down that road then yes, I stand by what I said. This is the problem with America today. We as a country think we can just charge it and pay it off. The problems occur when something else needs to be paid for, and something else, then something else. It adds up. Instead of getting ahead in life we are always paying off.

Hey, I've made the mistake too. I'm not perfect and screwed up. I had to pay an extra $1500 out of pocket after selling for a loss. But in the grand scheme of things that was just a few months of payments instead of 5 YEARS of payments.

Anyone that thinks holding on to a trailer and making payments for years on end has a different view of what financial freedom means than me.
08 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7

Big_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Rockwood 8314BSS Signature
2013 Ram 3500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab DRW with the 6.7 Cummins