cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Trucks

JaycoAngel
Explorer
Explorer
A newbie here to the forum. Would like to ask diesel owners if they would recommend a diesel for use as a primary vehicle (short trips to the grocery, etc. when not pulling). We have heard that short trips are hard on the injectors.
24 REPLIES 24

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
three of us in the neighborhood have had multiple diesels that were used for towing and daily drivers. several racked up well over 250K miles, others over 100K miles, often during the week with 5 mile or less trips. Several were pre DEF units, several are now units using DEF.

Issues: None. IMHO no different than any other vehicle used as a daily driver.

the newer diesels warm up much much quicker than those of even 10 years ago.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not advisable for any vehicle (except maybe electric) to be consistently driven without getting up to running temperature.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JaycoAngel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your replies!!

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
No problems with using them as a daily driver

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Buy what you like and drive it. That is what I did. Keep up with the recommended service, use quality motor oil and get your fuel from a place that sells a lot so you are getting fresh fuel.
Mine gets driven anywhere from less than a mile to 400 per day. It also sometimes sits for weeks without being started. It is good to get it up to operating temperature when using it whenever possible.
Mine is my daily driver, just lately I do not have to drive it daily. In the past I drove it the same as I did any other vehicle I have owned. This one has served me well for the past 13 years.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

JaycoAngel
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 32-foot FW.
When we travel, it is pretty loaded with 'stuff'!??

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
how big is your camper
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used my truck as a daily driver, works fine. But I have to say that the nearest supermarket is several miles away from our home as is everything else I might want to go to. Most are more than 5 miles off. So I'm not an urban dweller.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We used our 2002 Dodge 3/4 ton as the family daily driver for 145k miles no problem, the newer trucks ?? but the new 1/2 ton dodge diesel advertises it is good as a Dailey driver too.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's not hard on the injectors, it's hard for the modern emmissions junk to keep up with short trips.
A pre-DPF truck will serve you fine for those kinds of trips though.
We've used ours that way its whole life.