cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
But the 7.3 is an easy 300,000+ miler. The 6.0 is, if you're lucky, good for 30-35K before something blows up. It's the modern version of the 350 Olds.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

marty649
Explorer
Explorer
ponie wrote:
ponie wrote:
F350 7.3 Liter with turbo 4inch exhaust and chip. Is this the holy grail of diesels or is the new technology heads and tails ahead?

????

while the 7.3 is a great motor it's output is far from the current generations of diesels. The 7.3 was replaced by the more powerful 6.0L and then the even more powerful 6.4L.

Holy Grail I think not...
2005 Dodge 3500 Quad cab CTD Dually, Laramie, G56 sbc con-ofe, GPS-NAV, Sirius, intake and exhaust, Gauges, 100 gal aux fuel tank, Rokktech, Quad box, Pacbrake, 145,000mi

2000 Gulfstream Seahawk, Sat TV, Solar, 6.5kw gen, Washer/Dryer

2001 Roadking

ponie
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, your thinking correctly when you calculate 2 years for $2k of cost. Now add two more years to get your money back and your even.

Lots of buddies are buying motorcycles for $10k to get 40+ mpg, but it would take 10+ years to get ahead of the outlay of cash. So many people overlook this fact, but it does take the fun out it.

henw
Explorer
Explorer
Guy at my dealership said he could double the mileage of my 2008 6.4l diesel F250 by eliminating some of the emmission control pipes, improving air flow, and adding a chip. Putting an air foil under front bumper as well. Of course the warranty goes with such moves. I figured that at most I might see 25% mileage improvement. At that it would take a couple of years to recoup the 2K he wanted to make the change.

ponie
Explorer
Explorer
ponie wrote:
F350 7.3 Liter with turbo 4inch exhaust and chip. Is this the holy grail of diesels or is the new technology heads and tails ahead?

????

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer
I would say any of the pre ULSD engines from the big three are very sought after. All the diesels use a turbo, thats not anything special but it is why the diesels have such an advantage in the higher elevations. A gas engine gets starved for air. I've read that for every thousand feet of elevation you lose 3% of your power on a normally aspirated gas engine.

Even the newer engines make TONS of power. They just get a little less mileage. Unless you are pulling a HUGE RV I don't see the need to chip any of them. My son chipped his 06 5.9 Cummins with an Edge Juice with Attitude chip and that baby is smokin hot. Plus he can turn it to economy mode and gets 24-25 mpg on the open highway.
Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

2008 2500 Dodge QC CUMMINS 4x4
2005 25 foot Trail Cruiser 5er.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Jumbo Cranium wrote:
That reminds me of a funny story I saw the other day about how Segways are becoming more popular due to fuel prices. This guy paid 5000 bucks for one and was bragging about how his commute was so much cheaper now. His commute was 1.4 miles each way.

So say he had a vehicle that got horrible gas mileage, like maybe an 8.1 van or something ridiculous like that that gets maybe 12 miles per gallon in town if we are feeling generous.

In 2 weeks of round trip commutes he would use 2.3 gallons of gas at about 9 bucks. So it only takes 1111 weeks to pay for the Segway LOL. Thats 21 years!!!!! And thats without figuring in the cost of electricity.

He was so proud.

I use my bike around town and only use the 8.1 van for trips were I have other people paying for all the fuel. It gets better mpg per passenger than your diesel pickup. I use my bike 52 weeks a year.
I guess you diesel guys are all bent out of shape since your trucks lost 1/2 their value since last year and diesel fuel cost much more than gas.

ponie
Explorer
Explorer
Jumbo Cranium wrote:
ponie wrote:
Got a chance to ride shot gun with a gent yesterday. F350 7.3 Liter Turbo, Exhaust and chip. One hour run pulling a backhoe on a gooseneck trailer over some significant two lane hills. GVW > 20,000#

I was shocked.

Tell us more?

Empty the truck was bad a$$. The turbo made it sound like a semi and it would throw you back with its acceleration. Standard shift with 177k miles its barely broke in I suppose.

Same owner since new he indicated that itโ€™s the most sought after diesel set up considering the pollution modification as of July 1st 2006 had impacted the MPG. Does this sound correct?

TxCoastCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Jumbo Cranium wrote:
That reminds me of a funny story I saw the other day about how Segways are becoming more popular due to fuel prices. This guy paid 5000 bucks for one and was bragging about how his commute was so much cheaper now. His commute was 1.4 miles each way.

So say he had a vehicle that got horrible gas mileage, like maybe an 8.1 van or something ridiculous like that that gets maybe 12 miles per gallon in town if we are feeling generous.

In 2 weeks of round trip commutes he would use 2.3 gallons of gas at about 9 bucks. So it only takes 1111 weeks to pay for the Segway LOL. Thats 21 years!!!!! And thats without figuring in the cost of electricity.

He was so proud.

Oh the power of being able to do simple math!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2006 2500HD D/A CrewCab
1992 Prowler 5er

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer

He was so proud.
Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
He's busy defending buying a $20K Scion to save $3.00 a day in gas, over driving a Pontiac TV van. More bicycle pictures gone Postal. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer
Still waiting 8.1
Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer
ponie wrote:
Got a chance to ride shot gun with a gent yesterday. F350 7.3 Liter Turbo, Exhaust and chip. One hour run pulling a backhoe on a gooseneck trailer over some significant two lane hills. GVW > 20,000#

I was shocked.

Tell us more?
Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

ponie
Explorer
Explorer

I was shocked.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Jumbo Cranium wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:
Jumbo Cranium wrote:
Hey 8.1 we are waiting for you to show us where an 8.1 beat a Duramax in a timed quarter mile. Or for that matter, any of the Big 3 diesels.

Here, I'll help.

Stock 6.7 Dodge Cummins running 15's in the quarter

How does 15.66 at 85.46 mph grab ya.

I couldn't find any stock powerstroke times, but since you were the one shooting your mouth off, you should be the one trying to prove it, not me.

We're waiting.

What a slug, on the same website is a 2500HD with 6.0 smallblock that ran 15.194 92.25mph 1/4 mi. There were no 8.1's listed but the 8.1 has tons more power than the 6.0 smallblock.

HAHAHAHA You should learn to read before you post links. That 6.0 was NOT stock. It's obvious you don't have a clue about 1/ mile ET's for these vehicles.

Still waiting.

Hello CB.