cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Digital thermstat

Kylesmith3021
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys I have a new tt with a atwood furnace and a rooftop ac..The thermastat that came with tt is pretty hard to control and only runs the furnace..Is there a way to put a digital one on to make it more easier for me to dial in..also is it pretty easy to do
8 REPLIES 8

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
yep it can only run the furnace then... you would need to run additional cable (eg. telephone wire type "jkt" with at least 4 conductor... 6 max). The conversion can be done with just one additional wire... that's what I did, just ran an extra wire which was easy to hide along the "route". Again depending on what AC unit you have, you need to get a relay that is switched using 12v that will then switch 120v at the AC unit when the thermostat calls for it. Not rocket science but certainly be aware of the issues. I "hid" my relay (quite small actually) inside the cowling of the AC unit (ie. ceiling "ring" / filter).

Kylesmith3021
Explorer
Explorer
Thermastat is a atwood with just 2 wires going into it so i guess if i went digital it would only run furnace and not ac

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Extremely easy to do if you stay the same brand control, took lease than 10 min. Is yours a Coleman controller? There is a direct replacement for mechanical to digital. It is night and day on how comfortable your TT will be.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

cut_up
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco Jay Feather 24FSB. I couldn't tell you what my units are, but sounds pretty much like the same setup that you have. It did come with an analog Dometic thermostat. Last year I had the trailer in the shop for hail damage and had the repairman replace the thermostat with a digital thermostat. It is also a Dometic, and so far I have been very pleased with it.

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on what AC unit is installed, the change out may or may not be "straight forward". First, you need to look at how many wires have been run to the existing thermostat (likely 2 ... hopefully at least 4). Next, since AC involves switching 120 volts as opposed the 12v in a furnace, the control boards included with the ac need to be the "right ones" for "offboard control"... it is likely that your current ac unit has "front panel controls" which usually DO NOT have the "needed" interface. The links posted will help you get thru this. Be careful if you don't fully understand electrical work.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
I switched out the T-stat on our previous hybrid and TT. Very easy to do. I like the Dometic T-stat in our current 5th wheel. Couple of links for you:

http://www.rverscorner.com/hunterstat.htm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24108995.cfm

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
How do you turn on the AC if not via the thermostat?

I have a Dometic single zone LCD, so they are available. I can't attest to replacing an RV thermostat, but my home unit was really easy. I labeled the wires before I disconnected them from the old unit, then matched them up on the new unit. But if you can't control your AC from your old unit, a digital thermometer won't help you unless you can find the wires that do control your AC.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.