cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do RV park hookups have home outlets or just 30A plugs only?

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new at this obviously. The AC generating power center in my Lance took a dump, which I could honestly care less about as I was rewiring the whole thing to run off a battery bank with solar anyway (which it is now and is awesome). But I've lost my 30A 'shoreline' hookup for power as a result. Since it was all hardwired, I went ahead and just cut the cable and replaced it with a good 12GA standard electrical cord I can pull out and hookup to a home's power. The 3-way splitter on the other end inside gets the cables swapped over to it that are currently plugged into the inverter.

Do any RV parks with hookups have these standard connections as well or is it only the large 30A connections? I'm fully self-contained, but it'd be nice to plug in and run the AC for more than an hour a day...
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread
21 REPLIES 21

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
n7bsn wrote:
Em, you do know that the conventional 15amp 120 plug is not rated for running the A/C, well, plus the converter and anything else. By "not rated" I mean it will may melt (yes I have seen that)

RUns my AC just fine and the plug hasn't melted.

If a plug melts, then it has other problems, not because I'm running 15 amps through a 15 amp plug.

Back on topic:

Every RV park/campground with power/state park I've been to has household style outlets in addition to 30 and 50 amp RV connections.
Most of them have the household style on a 20 amp breaker.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Voyager_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
You need to find a licensed electrician and show him what you are trying to do. If he doesn't go white in the face when he sees that, I miss my guess. Let him explain what can happen if you try that.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
My AC (Coleman) seems to run just fine on 15 amps. I have a home RV outlet at my house but I don't even bother to use it.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
I am at loss here! What do you mean by 'Power Center'? Why did the 'Power center' die? How did you bypass it? Why did the shore power cord need to be eliminated? It seems that decreasing your shore side capability was not a good thing esp when it comes to running AC, since the start up draw takes some amps. To inhance my thoughts running my AC with the gen set really taxes my gen and it is a 2500 unit...don't be running anything else when the AC kicks on is my motto.
Just doesn't sound like a SOUND idea. Maybe someone can help me to understand. I say this as I have a very healthy respect for electricity. JMHO!!!

Gosh I forgot, yes most hook ups at any places I have been have at least a 15A (old place) most have 15/20A and 30A and now the 50A as shown above.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
dadwolf2 wrote:
Most RV campgrounds have 15,30 & 50 amp service.

Don't suppose you have any pictures of your defunct power center and replacement set-up?

Sounds like he just has everything plugged into a "splitter."

I too would like to see pictures of the solution.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
-- snip --
That pic is an old unit. New stuff requires GFCI for the 15/20 amp outlet.
-- snip --

Look closely at the photo; the 20 Amp breaker is a GFCI.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
hedge wrote:
I believe the outlets people are calling 20a are actually 15a. a 20 A outlet should have one of the legs of the plug have a horizontal notch.... or is that just convention as the above pic shows the breaker as 20a?
You can connect a 5-15 outlet to a 20a breaker but a 5-20 must have 20a breaker. Either outlet will handle 20 amps just fine. And yes the 5-20 plug has the neutral rotated 90 degrees. 5-20 outlet has a T slot on the neutral to accept either.

That pic is an old unit. New stuff requires GFCI for the 15/20 amp outlet.

For those that think a roof air conditioner will not run on 20 amps... better check your branch circuit breaker.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the outlets people are calling 20a are actually 15a. a 20 A outlet should have one of the legs of the plug have a horizontal notch.... or is that just convention as the above pic shows the breaker as 20a?
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I see in a lot of the places where I camp ...

Note:
The 30 Amp outlet has a GFCI as does the 15 Amp duplex outlet.

The 15 Amp outlet should be a 20 Amp because the GFCI breaker is 20 Amps.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Think the best solution would be buy a new Camco 30 amp plug and install it. Then buy a 30 to 20 amp adapter.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I'd never seen an RV pedestal without a 15a plug until a couple weeks ago. I was at a campground where the pedestal only had 30a. I normally only use a 12gauge extension cord so I didn't have the 30a to 15a adapter so I had pull my shore cable out from the mouse hole.

I've never seen a 50a in any of the campgrounds I go to.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Usually a 30 and/or 50 amp & standard 120v (nominal) 'home' receptacle. Never seen a pedestal that didn't have 'home' outlet, but never seen one that had more than 15amp breaker for it. Whether your A/C will run or not?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When you lift the lid to the power pedestal in the campsite there is the funky plug outlet and a standard 110v receptacle outlet. (Using laymens terms)
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
We just changed cord styles from hard wired to marine twist on type like many of the newer campers use leaving us with a 30A cord with only the male end intact. Went to camper place, purchased the female end and who's it up which gave us a 30A extension cord. Were you to do this you could use the appropriate dog bone or other adapter to use the 120 outlet. Still don't overload that circuit at the box but at least you'll have a heavy enough cord for cheap. Right? Or would this actually Fix your issue completely. If your converter is dead, well that's another matter and beyond me. I use the pros on anything inside like that which might run something at the least n or burn the camper and me up.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies