cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do you chock your TC's tires?

MKish
Explorer
Explorer
I always chocked the tires on my trailer when I used it. Should I be chocking the truck's tires when I'm using the TC?

I do use the parking brake. ๐Ÿ˜‰
26 REPLIES 26

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
If the truck is sitting on a level surface I don't bother. If it's on a slope, I usually grab a rock and put it against the downhill side of one of the tires.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Always and every time.

If the wife and I are sleeping in it I will be sure it will not go anywhere even if I get bumped by another rig.

Kind of like not wearing a pfd until you think you need it when in reality I think it better to be prepared for every event so when we cross the bar pfd's are worn, rig gets chocked like a firetruck no matter what.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
My emergency brake is disconnected, cables froze up and I'm too lazy to fix it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I do not chock my wheels

Eric&Lisa wrote:
Foot on brake. Truck in neutral. Set parking brake. Release foot brake. Allow parking brake to take the load. Place transmission in park. No load on transmission to hold the vehicle.
That is the procedure my truck's Operator manual says to use. When I am ready to leave, after starting the tru?k and holding the foot brake, I take it out of Park before releasing the Parking brake. That prevents a preload on the transmission.

Eric&Lisa wrote:
Optional if I am concerned about the holding between the rear wheels and the ground. Place truck in 4x4. This ties the front and rear wheels to each other through the transfer case. The rear wheels are locked because of the parking brake, and the front wheels are also immobilized because they are tied to the rear wheels.

It would have to be a pretty steep hill to chock the wheels of the truck - and would not be a hill I would camp on.
I agree with this method with my 4x4 truck.

Eric&Lisa wrote:
And while I am at it....

I always place the truck in 4x4 low and drive *forward* on to the blocks. Never back on to the blocks. The reverse gear is a higher ratio than 1st gear forward. It seems to 'build a lot of power' trying to back on to the blocks, but that is just the torque converter slipping the RPMs. That creates a huge amount of heat, especially after the truck has just been driven a long distance hauling the camper. Putting the camper on blocks would be just before shutting it off and setting up camp....after all that heat was built up in the transmission...allowing it to now heat soak for hours. Not good for its longevity!

-Eric
I think most if not all automatics are designed in such away the do not pump transmission fluid through the cooler when in reverse. Due to this, the fluid gets pretty hot if in reverse for long periods of time. Without a transmission temp gage, we can easily burn the fluid which in turn will shorten the life of the transmission. I had a gage on my previous truck, and will soon have one on this truck.

If you do a lot of backing up, it cools the transmission if you put it in neutral and idle the engine for a few minutes. If you are in stop and go traffic, placing your transmission in neutral while you are stopped will also help to cool the transmission.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Never thought about it, and no, I don't see any need to chock the wheels.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
No. ๐Ÿ˜„
Camp Host, from the other side.

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
I know I really don't need to chock, but I do anyways. Ease of mind.

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I don't chock them. I use my parking brake.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only thing I chock is my small square hay baler (NH 575) when I swing it out to run it...... Use a nice Copperloy Alloy chock.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Foot on brake. Truck in neutral. Set parking brake. Release foot brake. Allow parking brake to take the load. Place transmission in park. No load on transmission to hold the vehicle.

Optional if I am concerned about the holding between the rear wheels and the ground. Place truck in 4x4. This ties the front and rear wheels to each other through the transfer case. The rear wheels are locked because of the parking brake, and the front wheels are also immobilized because they are tied to the rear wheels.

It would have to be a pretty steep hill to chock the wheels of the truck - and would not be a hill I would camp on.

And while I am at it....

I always place the truck in 4x4 low and drive *forward* on to the blocks. Never back on to the blocks. The reverse gear is a higher ratio than 1st gear forward. It seems to 'build a lot of power' trying to back on to the blocks, but that is just the torque converter slipping the RPMs. That creates a huge amount of heat, especially after the truck has just been driven a long distance hauling the camper. Putting the camper on blocks would be just before shutting it off and setting up camp....after all that heat was built up in the transmission...allowing it to now heat soak for hours. Not good for its longevity!

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Worst I've had to level was the two back tires up on a 10" wood block topped with 2x10 ramp which had 3 lego blocks on top for a total of about 16". To make it worse, one of the front tires was up on a 4" rock I found nearby. It was a pain to get up on the blocks and I received some very funny looking stares of dis-belief from walkers, but the view was worth the effort. To secure the truck all I did was put the manual trans in 1st gear, transfercase was in 4wd Low to get on the blocks, and then set the parking brake. Never moved nor lost any sleep worrying about it.

Now with an automatic, its just park and set the brake.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not yet but I suppose I might if I was uncomfortable with my parking situation. Have always chocked the toy hauler but that is a different kettle of fish.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No
If it's that steep that in gear and p brake won't hold then it's too steep to level up the truck anyway.
I DO chock a wheel if I have to get out of the seat on a boat ramp. I'd rather not be on u tubes dumbest boat launch videos.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
When using rv parks or modern campgrounds with pads or parking places to set up on, I set the parking brake.....shift to low or reverse.......kill the Cummins.....then let the clutch out. No chocks or blocks.

If were set up in a hilly steep area (boon docking) that requires some type of ramp on one side or one end of the truck I use 5"x 5" x 12" blocks cut from barn poles as chocks around a tire thats on the ground plus parking brake.

We all camp in different terrain and we all set up the way we like.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides