cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you remove your camper from the truck while camping?

tmartin000
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, home many of you take the camper off the truck at the campsite?

If so, any tricks or concerns?
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172
38 REPLIES 38

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
fpoole wrote:
I'm camping right now (today) with it off, full time, and unless I have a reason, camper stays on truck. It's just me so climbing in and out of truck to load it can be a PITA to get it just right.

My biggest concern is the wind blowing when I put it back on. I have a "high flatbed" and the jacks are close at 1-2" max'd out on level. I use 2" blocks to give a little more "Clearance Clarence" but gets a little wiggly at that height.

All that to say, I'll keep in on... less hassel and doesn't really make a big difference to me. View is better on the truck. If in a quiet forested area, probably take it off, easier to get into it.

You say you are camping right now with it off, then you say you keep it on.

Sprink-Fitter wrote:
fpoole wrote:
I'm camping right now (today) with it off, full time, and unless I have a reason, camper stays on truck. It's just me so climbing in and out of truck to load it can be a PITA to get it just right.

My biggest concern is the wind blowing when I put it back on. I have a "high flatbed" and the jacks are close at 1-2" max'd out on level. I use 2" blocks to give a little more "Clearance Clarence" but gets a little wiggly at that height.

All that to say, I'll keep in on... less hassle and doesn't really make a big difference to me. View is better on the truck. If in a quiet forested area, probably take it off, easier to get into it.

sigh...

I posted "...and unless I have a reason, camper stays on truck."

I have a reason....

Yes, you are right, it is off... 95% of time it is "On"... occasionally, I do remove it.. and that can change tomorrow.

Luckily, I'm not restricted and can change when I want. I just came back from a 10-day 'visit' from a Hospital and need the truck to go the 100+ miles for follow ups. Thus the 5% off. I still have to reload it for the 7-day Dump & Fills and if done with the Doc trips, I'll leave it on.

Hope that clarifies it.
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I never do, I like having it along to use the bathroom, make a coffee, change clothes if the weather changes etc. It also gives the dog a more room than being stuck in the cab if we go somewhere we can't take him.

It fits in pretty much the same parking spots as the empty truck so don't really find parking to be an issue.

I also don't like being bound to a site so I rarely book sites and may just decide to overnight elsewhere so I may not even be returning to the same cg.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We will load and unload 25-30 times a year.

My wife prefers the lower height for getting in and out, so do I.

With electric jacks and quick release tie downs its easy to do and fast.

We will do it for as little as one night.

Rick

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
My 3-legged Bronco would need bottom support, and that strikes me as a PITA to carry along. Since it's only 7' wide, it doesn't really matter if it's on the truck, as far as parking is concerned. I just fold the legs horizontal and leave it on the truck.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We always unload the TC off the truck. It makes it easier to maneuver the boat or do sightseeing, errands and such.

We've got it down to a science now and we can be set up in about 20 mins or so. We lower it as low as it can go and use an adjustable aerobic step to maximize ease of entry.

We use scissor jacks and wobbl-stopprs from Torklift that keeps the TC rock solid. Works perfectly for us.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
fpoole wrote:

All that to say, I'll keep in on... less hassel and doesn't really make a big difference to me. View is better on the truck. If in a quiet forested area, probably take it off, easier to get into it.

2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mine stays on the truck unless we are at a multiday horse show in an urban area like at the Los Angels Equestrian center in Burbank and we want to go visit family. Camping in the mountains it stays on the truck.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
We take it off whenever we stay in an area for a while. We set up "camp" with the canopies deployed. We will launch the boat, tour the area, fish the area, all reasons to have camper off of the truck. I lower the camper, landing it on four of those aluminum jack-stands to stabilize it.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Here's one we came across last Summer at Summit Lake State Park in Indiana. I guess the owner of this take it off when camping! :B

Judging from snow shield on front, that might be year around adventure?

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I never have. My jacks are quikly detached. I don't even take them with me.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I've never found a need to.
Me either.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Here's one we came across last Summer at Summit Lake State Park in Indiana. I guess the owner of this take it off when camping! :B

Nice, I like that "hybrid"! :B

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
There is no reason for me to take it off so the camper stays on the truck all the time.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
Unless it's just an overnite stop, I take mine off. I camp to fish and always have my boat in tow. Launching and loading the boat each day at the ramp would require me to disconnect water, electric, and stow gear every trip. Plus my wife has MS, so I lower the camper as far as it will go for easy access.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Once we put it on in the spring it stays on. One of the reasons we bought a TC is the fact that all our stuff is with us all the time, no need to go back to wherever.