cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you unload you camper from truck when camping?

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on buying my first truck camper, but having never had one I'm not sure how easy they are to take on and off a truck.

However, I have a Ford F350 dually that I 'd like to take camping for 2-3 days at a time, and also tow my drift boat behind it (the boat and trailer are under 20' long and probably weigh in the neighborhood of 500# combined).

Some of the places I'd like to launch my boat are somewhat tight to get into, and would be easier to access if the camper was not on the truck.

So my question is, is it relatively easy, and practical, to take the camper off the truck for relatively short stays? (I understand it can also depend in part on where I will be camping.)

In addition, are their stabilizers to help stabilize a camper when it is off your truck?

Thanks, John
a_flyfisher
38 REPLIES 38

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
With electric jacks, I do not hesitate to take the camper off. Even if we are staying just one night, but are going to scout around, off it comes. It does take about 30 minutes off and the same for on. I do not use a spotter, I know where it goes (I have maybe 1 1/2 inches at the most, both sides together.) and just take it easy loading it onto the truck. My wife prefers it off and its easier to use the camper.

I have no special lines or lasers etc., I just know where things line up and go slow.

Rick

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
Gray1Ghost wrote:
I haul my drift boat to the Rockies in May and stay for 3 or 4 months in my truck camper. Although I could launch the boat with the TC on, it is much easier for me to launch the boat with the camper off the truck. I have electric jacks. As your experience loading/unloading the camper increases, the time required should decrease down to about 15 minutes. I try to stay at a campground central to several rivers so I don't have to move and load/unload too frequently. After unloading, I lower the camper as close to the ground as feasible. The lower center of gravity really helps with stability. The manufacturer of my camper says it is not necessary to support the camper floor when its off the truck. Check to see what the manufacturer of your camper recommends.
Several of the rivers I float have narrow, steep, rocky, tree-lined and sometimes muddy accesses that aren't paved. Some accesses require backing down onto gravel banks. I wouldn't want the camper on using those accesses even though my truck is 4 WD. Leaving the camper at the campground, it's probably less likely for someone to break into the camper than when it's parked at the access site before or after shuttling. Having the camper off the truck and leaving the boat at the campground allows me to use the truck to get to some out of the way and lightly fished waters if I want to take a break from floating. I do keep the camper on and leave the boat at the campground when I know I'll only be wading easily accessible streams for several days in a row. I get excited just thinking about getting back out there.

I've been wondering how I will be able to get everything packed for a couple or several days, much less several months.

The fishing is really good around West Yellowstone right about now, which is one reason for the truck camper. After spending a few nights in the back of my truck (with no sleeping pad or sleeping bag) - couple weeks ago, with sub-freezing nights, I decided it was time to upgrade the accommodations!

I just sold my drift boat a couple weeks ago, and have a new one on order which I'll pickup in Idaho Falls in the spring. I may get the camper there at the same time if I can wrangle a competitive price from the dealer there.

John
a_flyfisher

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
... when you first start out figure on 30 minutes to take it off or put it back on even with a spotter

With a spotter I would count on 60 minutes......
and a marriage counselor after 😉 :B 😛 LOL

It's taken some time but her and I are getting better at it.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
a_flyfisher wrote:
I'm pretty good backing up, and using my mirrors, which are really quite good on both of my trucks, especially the Super Duty F350 which I'll put the truck camper on, so unless there is something specific with loading/unloading the truck camper (is a dually going to make it harder, for example?) then I suppose it's mostly a "practice makes perfect" type of thing -- No?

I think you are right. The more I do it the more confident I get.
I think it might even be easier with a dually as there isn't much room between the jacks and the fenders so you sort of have a second reference point.

EfonFred
Explorer
Explorer
We typically drop the camper if we are staying a couple nights and know we will be scouting around.
2011 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2015 Adventurer 86SBS

Gray1Ghost
Explorer
Explorer
I haul my drift boat to the Rockies in May and stay for 3 or 4 months in my truck camper. Although I could launch the boat with the TC on, it is much easier for me to launch the boat with the camper off the truck. I have electric jacks. As your experience loading/unloading the camper increases, the time required should decrease down to about 15 minutes. I try to stay at a campground central to several rivers so I don't have to move and load/unload too frequently. After unloading, I lower the camper as close to the ground as feasible. The lower center of gravity really helps with stability. The manufacturer of my camper says it is not necessary to support the camper floor when its off the truck. Check to see what the manufacturer of your camper recommends.
Several of the rivers I float have narrow, steep, rocky, tree-lined and sometimes muddy accesses that aren't paved. Some accesses require backing down onto gravel banks. I wouldn't want the camper on using those accesses even though my truck is 4 WD. Leaving the camper at the campground, it's probably less likely for someone to break into the camper than when it's parked at the access site before or after shuttling. Having the camper off the truck and leaving the boat at the campground allows me to use the truck to get to some out of the way and lightly fished waters if I want to take a break from floating. I do keep the camper on and leave the boat at the campground when I know I'll only be wading easily accessible streams for several days in a row. I get excited just thinking about getting back out there.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
If I need the truck for other things when camped then yes I take it off. However it mostly stays on.

As for yourself, it's all about how comfortable you are loading/unloading. Some people find it a real pain while others handle it no problem. Obviously the more you do it the better you will get at it.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
I see you have a standard transmission. I am good at them too, but your scenario of a steep ramp and low branches and no visibility must mean that you are better than I am!
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

taycotrains
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our 1999 Fleetwood last July. We never ever took it off the truck. The unit was as unsteady as a 3 legged dog !

We replaced it with a 2011 Shadowlite and have been out with it four times and have taken it off every time.My wife has one job when we take it off...remove the license plate and put it on the bumper and vice versa when we load it back on.

This was last weekend at a KOA near Cooperstown NY...

Makes it easier to site see around the area.

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty good backing up, and using my mirrors, which are really quite good on both of my trucks, especially the Super Duty F350 which I'll put the truck camper on, so unless there is something specific with loading/unloading the truck camper (is a dually going to make it harder, for example?) then I suppose it's mostly a "practice makes perfect" type of thing -- No?
a_flyfisher

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
When taking the boat to the lake and staying for a few days, it was much easier and more convenient to take the camper off for launching the boat at the boat ramp and leaving the truck with the trailer in the parking lot while trout fishing.

The boat came back to the campsite every night. I am kinda attached to my 16.5 Double Eagle and like to either be in it, or have it nearby.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Ventura_Dogman
Explorer
Explorer
I find it a major pain to get it on the truck. Lining it up is time consuming and there is always potential for damage. I don't take mine off. In fact, I remove the jacks and store them in my garage until I need to take it off (which is very rare). Less weight, wind resistance, etc.
Northstar Laredo SC
Chevy Silverado 3500 diesel 4x4
Yellow Labrador co-pilot

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take off: Very easy, maybe 10 minutes at most.
Put on: Trickier. From 10 - 40 minutes depending on how picky and lucky I am.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not winter sports, two nights or more, yes, the camper comes off.

Like backing a trailer..a little practice goes along way. I'm with some of the others here; it's off and blocked in about 10-15 min. Actually loads back on quicker most of the time, as we're not dealing with 'leveling'.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a drift boat and a jet boat and always take my camper off. As you said, there are many places that you can't launch with a camper on the truck.
Besides that, it is much easier to launch a boat without the camper on regardless of the launch conditions.
Loading and unloading the camper is easy, usually 15 minutes each way and I am usually by my self.
Many of the places I launch, you would be stuck on the river bar with the 18,000lb truck, camper, boat.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7