cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge 2006 5.9L Issues

GASA765
Explorer
Explorer
Leaning towards an 06 with the 5.9L engine. Read somewhere there were problems with the lift pumps in the '04's but were they still a problem with the '06's?
Are the injectors and turbo's a big problem with the 5.9's?
I bought my '07 used but with the ECM problems wife think we're jinkxed. She says buy a 1 ton so leaning towards an '06.
Thanks
Gary, Serena, Monte(JRT), Roxie(Long Hair Dachsund) Haylee(Goldie Mix)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 6.7L CTD
2007 Forrest River Wildcat LSBS
21 REPLIES 21

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
My dad has an '06 5.9. He's on his FOURTH lift pump in less than 90k miles.

The weak link in these trucks AFAIK is the transmission. If you decide to chip the engine, you will eventually break the automatic transmission. In my father's case, he broke the input shaft on the pump. We replaced it with a rebuilt unit from a shop that specializes in "bulletproofing" Dodge trannys for the 5.9.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Gemstone
Explorer
Explorer
"Are the injectors and turbo's a big problem with the 5.9's?"....over 200K on the original injectors on my '05 5.9.

Regards
Gemstone
'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic , '06 Softail Deuce

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
The early common rail Dodges (03-04) used an external lift pump mounted on the driver's side of the engine (same place as the 2nd Gen) that were more prone to failure, and would interrupt fuel flow.
The '04.5+ had in-tank lift pumps that are less likely to fail, and when they do the CP3 will draw fuel through them and get you home.

reddwar wrote:
Do not know how it has been taken care of but I thank the 06/07 5.9 is the best truck out there. I have been told by the folks at Dodge the fuel/lift pump is the same that GM uses.

red

GM's Duramax doesn't use a lift pump from the factory. The CP3 injection pump is nearly identical though.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Have 145K on my 2005 and its been an excellent truck. No significant problems at all.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my '06 new and have been fulltiming all across the country since purchase. I just replaced the OEM batteries this month. Had one fuel line crack, heater bypass hose replaced and that stupid plastic diverter door for recycled air broke. Somehow managed to break something on my clutch linkage during one trip through Idaho. That's it for maintenance. I'm at 118k miles.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

reddwar
Explorer
Explorer
Do not know how it has been taken care of but I thank the 06/07 5.9 is the best truck out there. I have been told by the folks at Dodge the fuel/lift pump is the same that GM uses.

red

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
GASA765 wrote:
Leaning towards an 06 with the 5.9L engine. Read somewhere there were problems with the lift pumps in the '04's but were they still a problem with the '06's?
Are the injectors and turbo's a big problem with the 5.9's?
I bought my '07 used but with the ECM problems wife think we're jinkxed. She says buy a 1 ton so leaning towards an '06.
Thanks

A lot of people with the 07-08 6.7L Cummins were having issues with the ECM. I believe the issue was not enough memory space to store the updated flash updates. I know once the ECM was either fixed or replaced those same people were pretty happy with the engine. Maybe instead of buying a new truck you get the issue worked on? Might save you a lot of $$$
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4