cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dodge folks... 6.7 question

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am pretty sure I narrowed down which TV I am going to shop for. After much due diligence it is either a 06 or newer GM with a Duramax, but I decided to go dually, and I have zero need for a 8'bed.....
OR
a 06-07.5 Dodge MEGA cab with the 5.9... I would love the 6 speed trans (auto) but they didn't come around until the 6.7.... So, if I were to go a little newer and get the 6.7, do the EGR delete, am I golden? Or is there anything more? Or should I just limit myself to the 5.9. My budget is $20ish. I know I could go to a Cummins site, but figure there's enough knowledge here.
2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys
14 REPLIES 14

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to break this to you Don but your estimate sale price is a bit high for a 2007 6.7 2WD truck :W
Plan on a delete OP with the early 6.7 engines, they do great deleted with a minor tune, so I've heard. 5.9 you can tune and get great HP/TQ improvements with the chance of tranny failures ๐Ÿ˜ž Or tune the 5.9 low and enjoy the ride for many miles.
5.9 is a pre emission engine, 6.7 is a DPF engine or no soot or black smoke.
Myself a 2007-2010 DPF engine was not the best of years for all brands because of the new emission issues from the EPA.

I'm thinking you already knew all this though :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
afishinado wrote:
e-light wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
e-light wrote:
I wouldn't be afraid of 170K mile Cummins if I knew it was cared for properly. I would see if I could contact the previous owner. The service life of those engines is 400K, but there are many that have made it to the 1,000,000 mile club.

Engine and transmission yes... everything else is going to be awful tired after 170K miles though. Suspension, seats, AC, electronics, carpet, headliner, etc etc all have a service life too. When you start looking at replacing or repairing these things, costs can add up pretty quick...

Yup youre right...

"everything else is going to be awful tired after 170K miles though. Suspension, seats, AC, electronics, carpet, headliner, etc etc"
Damn... Maybe I'm looking at the wrong trucks... I'm used to Chevys... 170,000 and need none of that.... The Mega cab drew me to Dodge, but from what you guys are sayin.... I need to do more due-diligence.
Well another country heard from today that I trust, who has pulled a enclosed trailer similar weight to mine with both a 3/4 and a 1 ton dually.... He's telling me I'll be fine with the 3/4, we'll know when we weigh it... Sure love to not have to go to a dually.

As many miles I drive/day I would hate to have to live with a dually, but a 1 ton SRW would be good.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
e-light wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
e-light wrote:
I wouldn't be afraid of 170K mile Cummins if I knew it was cared for properly. I would see if I could contact the previous owner. The service life of those engines is 400K, but there are many that have made it to the 1,000,000 mile club.

Engine and transmission yes... everything else is going to be awful tired after 170K miles though. Suspension, seats, AC, electronics, carpet, headliner, etc etc all have a service life too. When you start looking at replacing or repairing these things, costs can add up pretty quick...

Yup youre right...

"everything else is going to be awful tired after 170K miles though. Suspension, seats, AC, electronics, carpet, headliner, etc etc"
Damn... Maybe I'm looking at the wrong trucks... I'm used to Chevys... 170,000 and need none of that.... The Mega cab drew me to Dodge, but from what you guys are sayin.... I need to do more due-diligence.
Well another country heard from today that I trust, who has pulled a enclosed trailer similar weight to mine with both a 3/4 and a 1 ton dually.... He's telling me I'll be fine with the 3/4, we'll know when we weigh it... Sure love to not have to go to a dually.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
e-light wrote:

Yup youre right...
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
e-light wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

willienaylor
Explorer
Explorer
I am not going to delete again for a few reasons. None of them mechanical troubles.
I was always worried if I broke down far from home I might have trouble finding a dealer to work on it. While towing it is pretty loud in the cab with a five inch exhaust even with a muffler. Lastly, I don't want to worry about the EPA fines or "fix it or ticket".

I don't feel like it was a waste of money to do, just not for me anymore.

As far as mpg, that was my main goal with the deletes. I pull about 12k and have seen anywhere between 11 to 14mpg. Empty average around town driving was 18mpg. Highway loaded full of Missouri flat rock I had 24mpg(about a four hour run). All hand calculated and no B.S.

hope this helps!
2011 ram 2500 6.7 CTD
2013 Dutchman Denali 280 lbs
B&W

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
9.5 ish unless you run into a headwind at which time it can drop down to 7 ish as my 2012 did.JMHO. My 2013 Ecoboost CC 4X4 gets 10 pulling my 3000 lb boat, but can get as high as 16-17 empty in town 18-19 highway.
charles weidman

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still happy with my stock '08 6.7 @ 41,000 miles. Towing is 10 to 14 mpg. The 68rfe and exhaust brake work well. I don't miss my 5.9 with a stick shift.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
willienaylor wrote:
........ I did a full delete on the first truck, i will not delete the new truck because the gains are minimal(mpg) while towing..

So you aren't doing the delete on the newer one because you didn't see any savings on fuel? Do you feel like doing it on your first 6.7 was wasted and I shouldn't concern myself with it?

The reason I ask; If I have the warm'n'fuzzies the 07.5-09 with the 6.7 and it would be as good as the 5.9 I would go that route just to get the 6 speed automatic...

I know from experience on forums, if 3% of whateveritis has problems, the forum makes it sound like 80% of whateveritis have issues.

BTW: What kind of MPG do you think I can expect pulling my trailer? It'll weigh in at about 13k loaded

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Sitting is really really hard on diesels. Your 20K budget is going to get you either a totally worn out 06-07 or a 03 maybe 04 and thats about it. 5.9L Cummins command a huge premium if you can find one in decent shape. My low miles 07 would still sell for 35K as it sits all day if it were for sale.

I am finding plenty nice ones (up to 08's) for under $22... Many with 100k on them, I'm not worried about that part. 170,000 miles on one of these doesn't scare me at all, there are tons of them out there with twice that on them. I am pretty sure the MEGA cab with that tiny bed is keeping the numbers down. The same trucks with a 8' bed and crew cab is definitely bring more money... Good for me.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sitting is really really hard on diesels. Your 20K budget is going to get you either a totally worn out 06-07 or a 03 maybe 04 and thats about it. 5.9L Cummins command a huge premium if you can find one in decent shape. My low miles 07 would still sell for 35K as it sits all day if it were for sale.

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
willienaylor wrote:

If you can find a 06 or 07 5.9 with low miles for a good price i would jump on it.

My only use for this will be to tow the RV, 9 months a year it will be in storage

Wadda ya think? http://www.autotrader.com/AtCarId/AT-15DBA54B

willienaylor
Explorer
Explorer
I am on my second 6.7. I had zero issues with my first one, traded it off because it was two wheel drive and wanted a four wheel drive. I did a full delete on the first truck, i will not delete the new truck because the gains are minimal(mpg) while towing. As long as you use the truck like a truck and tow with it, the 6.7 will be fine. Just dont let it sit and idle.

If you can find a 06 or 07 5.9 with low miles for a good price i would jump on it.
2011 ram 2500 6.7 CTD
2013 Dutchman Denali 280 lbs
B&W