cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge Ram transmission reliability

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an 05 Cummins 5.9 with the 48RE automatic transmission. It has 107K miles and so far absolutely no transmission issues. However I have changed the fluid every 35K miles. How long will this thing last.

I would just be interested in how many miles you have on your 3rd Gen truck with the 48RE and if you had transmission problems at what mileage???
38 REPLIES 38

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
bucky wrote:
After every pull over 500 miles or a combination of pulls exceeding 500 miles I drain the pan and add fresh fluid to the proper level.

Why???

X2!
Waste of good fluid!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
bucky wrote:
After every pull over 500 miles or a combination of pulls exceeding 500 miles I drain the pan and add fresh fluid to the proper level.

Why???
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is correct, the plastic threads are stripped by over tightening. $1000 for Mr. Brockman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bucky wrote:
Another 05 here at 215K with no trans problems.
The truck is totally stock and has been a workhorse it's entire life. I pulled the pan about a year ago to check for debris and installed a drain plug at that time. Don't try to install a plug without dropping the pan as there is a lot of "stuff" in there that a drill could eat. After every pull over 500 miles or a combination of pulls exceeding 500 miles I drain the pan and add fresh fluid to the proper level. Longest pull was just over 6,000 miles. I was a little nervous on that one.

I'm assuming I'm somehow mis-interpreting your post.
Surely you don't change out half the fluid in your trans every 500 miles....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gsbrockman
Explorer
Explorer
ifd22 wrote:
mowingman wrote:
So far, not too impressed with the transmission in the diesels. I have a 2016, 2WD, 3500 pickup. It is currently in the shop with transmission problems, at 65,000 miles. The book says to change trans. oil and trans. filter at around 60,000, so being a by-the-rules kind of guy, I took it in for service. About 10 minutes after I picked it up at the dealership, a check engine light came on and the trans. did not downshift properly. Dealership says some valve in the trans. is bad, and they are dropping the trans. and repairing it under warranty.It is not the Asin trans., just the normal trans. they commonly use in those trucks.
So, I am not real happy about this. On the other hand, it could have gone out while pulling the 5er about 1000 miles from home. Oh Well, it is warranty.

I think they are pulling your leg, it’s a little coincidental that you had issues within minutes of picking it up. My bet is they didn’t properly seat your filter which is common with the 68rfe. It sounds better on their part to blame the transmission then to blame themselves.

I’ll take “What is over-tightening of the spin-on transmission cooler filter?” For $1,000 Alex.......
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Cab & Chassis, 6.7L CTD & AS69RC, 4.44 ratio, 225/70R19.5 Hankooks, 60 inch C/A, 52+22 gal tanks, Aluminum Wheels, CM SK Series bed w/B&W Turnover Ball. 63,910 miles and 1,124 hours as of December 30th, 2022. (Average MPH = 56.9)

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
The truck is totally stock and has been a workhorse it's entire life. I pulled the pan about a year ago to check for debris and installed a drain plug at that time. Don't try to install a plug without dropping the pan as there is a lot of "stuff" in there that a drill could eat. After every pull over 500 miles or a combination of pulls exceeding 500 miles I drain the pan and add fresh fluid to the proper level. Longest pull was just over 6,000 miles. I was a little nervous on that one.

Thanks for your reply. I have never had a transmission problem in any vehicle I've owned. I drive properly and allow smooth shifts when possible, change fluid often and have a temperature gauge on the output line to the cooler so I know in advance when temperature is building. I'm going to have the bands adjusted on this one and continue using it like always. If I do have a major breakdown while on the road with the 5th wheel I will contact Jasper to send me a re manufactured replacement.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Puma 30RKSS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Properly maintained the 48RE will last for a long time.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Keep the bands adjusted along with complete fluid change.

I have about 130k on my 2001 Sport.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it seems like a funny coincidence to me also. Well, they WILL work on it under warranty until it is fixed right. You can be sure of that.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my heavy 5er the transmission was my biggest fear. I upgraded my torque converter and no problem so far.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ifd22
Explorer
Explorer
mowingman wrote:
So far, not too impressed with the transmission in the diesels. I have a 2016, 2WD, 3500 pickup. It is currently in the shop with transmission problems, at 65,000 miles. The book says to change trans. oil and trans. filter at around 60,000, so being a by-the-rules kind of guy, I took it in for service. About 10 minutes after I picked it up at the dealership, a check engine light came on and the trans. did not downshift properly. Dealership says some valve in the trans. is bad, and they are dropping the trans. and repairing it under warranty.It is not the Asin trans., just the normal trans. they commonly use in those trucks.
So, I am not real happy about this. On the other hand, it could have gone out while pulling the 5er about 1000 miles from home. Oh Well, it is warranty.

I think they are pulling your leg, it’s a little coincidental that you had issues within minutes of picking it up. My bet is they didn’t properly seat your filter which is common with the 68rfe. It sounds better on their part to blame the transmission then to blame themselves.
2019 Primetime lite Crusader
2018 Ram 2500 Crewcab CTD
Andersen hitch

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2005 and it's no secret what it has pulled it's entire life. It is now retired to a garage queen( 3500 miles since 2013). It has 96,000 miles on it with 75% being overloaded and 50% of those miles have been on the highest setting on a Bully Dog programmer with their factory box tune. Still factory untouched powertrain front to rear.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Likes to tow wrote:
I have an 05 Cummins 5.9 with the 48RE automatic transmission. It has 107K miles and so far absolutely no transmission issues. However I have changed the fluid every 35K miles. How long will this thing last.

I would just be interested in how many miles you have on your 3rd Gen truck with the 48RE and if you had transmission problems at what mileage???

It will last until it pukes which, could be anytime, today included.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
My 03 Cummins 5.9 with the 48RE automatic transmission gave us no problems. Traded it at about 165,000 miles. New '14 still going strong at about 65,000.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab