cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does my usage warrant diesel? Cummins 6.7 with AISIN...

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, having read many, many, old threads here. I want to say up front, the initial cost of the diesel, gas mileage, and ongoing cost of regular oil changes and maintenance are not considerations with my decision. My only concern is which motor will be most reliable in the years to come.

Wife and I have decided on Dodge 3500 Mega cab Laramie SRW 4x4. Hauling 27-28' Airstream (7-8k lbs) through Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn a weekend or two each month and a big 2-3 week trip each summer out west is main towing usage.

My concern, my daily driving is just 5-7 miles (45-55 mph) into and from town, once weekly driving 30 miles away and back seeing family. And once a month 2.5 hours away to the coast to see family. Sometimes more highway driving, but this is the minimum average.

Then soon adding an Airstream, which we plan to do soon after buying TV. We will take at least one weekend trip a month to the Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn which is 4-5 hours one way.

Is that enough to keep a diesel happy?

Read they need to be driven a lot to 'clean out'. Read various ramblings about 'Regen', throwing 'Error codes', and such, but not sure how much driving style plays into this. My concern is my driving style may better suit the gas 6.4 Hemi.

An additional variable, I'm very interested in the AISIN $2400 transmission upgrade, but it's only available in the Ram 3500 with Cummins 6.7 diesel. So if going with gas, I don't have this option available to me. Anyone familiar with AISIN? Would love to hear about it.

Our primary goal is to have a long trouble free engine life. Plan is to keep truck a long time. We don't buy new cars often. We take care of them and keep them around. My main question is for our intended usage, do you think the Cummins or Hemi 6.4 would be best?

Thanks for any insights you may share.

Dan
NC
113 REPLIES 113

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Comparing apples to apples, the 6.4L Hemi is the clear performance winner. LINK

I have towed my 11 - 12k 5er through the Canadian Rockies, and not once have had the RPM limiting that is shown on the "Ike" video. I'm just guessing here, but it may have something to do with the elevation? I've never had my truck at 11,000' above sea level when towing either. I have also searched the other 6.4L Hemi forums I frequent and have never rear of another owner experiencing the RPM limiting seen in the video.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think it's sensible to judge a powertrain's towing merits based on it's performance on the one highway in the whole country where it struggles. Check out the "Davis Dam" portion of the above link. That is an uphill grade as well, and involves towing, yet no RPM limiting. That and the fact that I haven't had mine do that is why I think it is the elevation that makes the computer do what it did. They likely designed it that way for a reason (why I have no idea?).

On the longevity of the 6.4L Hemi, it is a new engine as of 2014 (in trucks anyway) so there's no data out there to judge that on. It is designed to be robust however, as can be seen in this newsletter sent out to the dealers when it came out:

Also -

"6.4-L Hemi developed for truck duty

Though it debuted in the 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (and is used in other Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep SRT8 models), the 6.4-L was originally designed as a truck engine, according to Mets. Its components were optimized to satisfy tough durability and market requirements.

โ€œAn active runner intake system [helps to] provide that low-end torque that is required in a heavy-duty truck, but without sacrificing that high-end power,โ€ Mets said. โ€œIf you look at the torque curves between this engine and our competition as well as the 5.7-L Hemi, the 6.4-L generates as much torque as the others but at 800 to 1000 rpm less.โ€

Another truck-specific feature is an optional dual-alternator setup for chassis-cab applications. This marks the first time Chrysler has offered a gasoline application in the 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs, according to Mets.

โ€œDesigned as a truck engine, we were able to do things like packaging an optional dual alternator; so straight out of the factory, a dual alternator with 380-A [220 and 160 A] outputโ€ฆwhich is very significant for those electric applications [customers] put on the back of a chassis cab,โ€ he said.

The 6.4-L Hemi shares the basic iron block/aluminum heads architecture of the 5.7-L Hemi, as well as its manufacturing process. It also borrows Chryslerโ€™s fuel-saving cylinder-deactivation system, which shuts down four cylinders when in steady-state operation. This is Chryslerโ€™s first application of cylinder deactivation to the heavy-duty pickup truck and chassis-cab markets, according to Gary Rogers, Chief Engineer for Engines.

While fuel-economy figures for the 6.4-L trucks are not yet available, engineers placed a great deal of emphasis during development on features to improve fuel economy, Rogers said.

โ€œWeโ€™ve put a lot of hardware in the engine for that purpose, like the cylinder deactivation, the cooled EGR [exhaust gas recirculation], the active intake, variable valve timing, and the active thermostatโ€”those are all fuel-economy features,โ€ he said.

To better manage high temperatures and improve durability, engineers specified โ€œpremium" materials for the 6.4-L application, Mets shared. These include stainless steel exhaust manifolds, steel gaskets, and fasteners as well as sodium-filled exhaust valves and an upgraded valve-seat material.

โ€œWe also have a robust high-volume oil cooler and oil jets for cooling the pistons. These are all key things to keep this engine running at a good temperature for long engine durability and longevity,โ€ he said."

And -

"The 6.4-liter engine develops 410 horsepower and 429 foot-pounds of peak torque. Designed as a truck engine from the ground up, it features an active runner intake system that enables the block to generate as much torque as competitive models at 800- 1000 rpm lower engine speeds. As a result, engineers were able to add a cylinder deactivation feature that cuts out half the cylinders when engine loads are low to extend gas mileage.

Construction consists of a cast iron engine block with aluminum heads, a heavy-duty forged steel crankcase, stainless steel exhaust and sodium-filled exhaust valves. A positive crank ventilation valve integrated into the intake system and cool exhaust gas recirculation make these emissions components more efficient. Oil jets cool the pistons under extreme temperatures or when the engine is working hard hauling heavy loads."
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
Hiking Hunter wrote:
Transmission: the 68RFE will do fine for you, save your money. Another note on the transmission - I have the Aisin transmission, and love it dearly, but it has a "4WD LOCK" mode instead of the "4WD AUTO" mode like the 68RFE. The LOCK mode forces all wheels into a hard 4WD and should not be used when the wheels cannot slip some. The AUTO mode can be used when there is only intermittent slippery conditions. In your part of the country, like mine, snow and ice might cover the road, but it would be intermittent. I'm a little apprehensive about using my 4WD "full time" in those conditions if there is ANY dry pavement because of this. Check me on this - I don't think you can get the Aisin with the AUTO mode - I think they are all LOCK mode transmissions. If you can't find a spec sheet showing the available modes on each - look at the 4WD selector knob - it will show either "LOCK" or AUTO" as well as 4WD LOW.

Now, all that being said, the 3500 is a good pick, but consider this: unless you think you might ever get a fifth wheel, why not go with the same engine and transmission in a 2500?. The reasons I suggest this are:
1) the 3500 has a bigger payload rating than the 2500, but if you have a travel trailer that doesn't matter. The tow rating of the 2500 is plenty for your load.
2) The 2500 would ride better for your non-trailer trips because of the stiffer suspension of the 3500.

2500 towing specs
3500 towing specs

Bottom line - 3500 or 2500, 6.7L Diesel, 68RFE tranny

You can't get 4wd Auto in any 2500 or 3500 Ram. All of them with all three transmissions are old fashioned 4wd systems with a locking center transfer case. The only choice in the 4wd systems is whether you want to pull a lever or twist a knob. And based on a lot of years and miles of traveling winter roads, you can run in 4H on intermittent snow and ice on the highway just fine. Just disengage it if you're pulling into a dry paved parking lot or gas station.

I do agree that the coils ride quite a bit nicer, and on a practical level I like that you have separate suspension components that control up and down versus side to side. If a heavy FW is likely in your future a 3500 is the better choice, but if it isn't, the 2500 is a great choice too. Great daily commuter and heavy tow vehicle, with pretty impressive fuel economy to boot.

True. The 4wd auto is not available in anything above a 1500.

I have some "squat" tests comparing the 3500 SRW leaf springs to a 2500 with coils using a 41' 5er if you're interested.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tystevens wrote:
ib516 wrote:
If you're buying based on towing merits, get the Cummins. It's better for towing, hands down. I'm not dissatisfied with my Hemi at all, but the Cummins has more than DOUBLE the torque of the big Hemi (429 vs 900). That makes a difference when towing for sure.

Yeah, but for an 8k airstream? The Cummins literally wouldn't know its back there!

Of course, not a reason not to buy one (as indicated in my prior post, I definitely would!), but certainly doesn't "warrant" buying a diesel.

Note to the OP -- with that trailer, one diesel you might wait for is the Nissan Cummins 5.0. Would likely be a perfect match for 8-10k (provided the truck's ratings are up to par -- they aren't out yet, as far as I know).

Good luck!

Oh I agree the 6.4L Hemi would be a good match for that load, even in the mountains. But, as the OP stated, money is not a concern, and towing performance seems to be a top priority. As much as I love my Hemi and the way it performs, there's no denying it doesn't compare to the Cummins when towing ability is the only parameter considered.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
Takes a lot of miles to warm up a diesel. Engine oil temp will probably reach op temp at the 45-mile mark while solo (unless the factory has some trickery happening). Then one needs that many more miles to boil off acids.

The oil gets up to full operating temp on my Cummins in less than 5 miles.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
I am and that's what turned me away from the F-350. The master computer runs everything. I can order an XL or XLT and have a more basic radio and dash area, but leather isn't an option. So I found out about Katzkins leather seating. Said to be better than factory. But it's $2000 and my local installer, per Katzkin site charges $900 to install. I just started looking at other trucks. But to be fair, the Dodge is the same. The Mega Cab has a big computer and bells and whistles. But I like the layout and functionality better. But yes, I agree, the electronics are a concern. Will be costly to replace when the time comes.

Dan

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
- side notes to the sand throwing contest so far - I read that the FLT guys contacted Chrysler about the 6.4's performance - apparently the engine is programmed to settle back into a climbing rpm to pull a long grade if the driver holds it in racer mode rather than truck driver mode - pedal to the rug - revving to the governor try an upshift - no can't pull that gear - downshift- rev to the governor and repeat... its not really designed as a hill racer it behaves more like a truck engine...

- not sure what is more complicated about a Cummins common rail injection system vs a modern gasohol engine's system? The Cummins fuel system runs 100's of 1000's of miles before repair in real trucks

- diesel aftertreatment system is more complicated than gasohol vehicle.

spark ignition engines use lotsa fuel when you work them hard. 2x what a diesel wants sometimes.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Danattherock wrote:
I plan on keeping truck till my kids are off to college. They are both currently in diapers. The $11k for the Cummins and AISIN is not a concern. Assuming this combo will provide more reliability over the long haul. I'm just checking with you guys and gals here to be sure my driving habits won't prematurely wear on the diesel. I've never owned a diesel so my insights are limited and my opinion infirm. Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan

From diapers to college? Any of the engine/transmission combinations should last )from a mechanical standpoint) if you properly maintain and don't abuse them.

For that length of time I'd be more concerned about the vehicle's electronic systems.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Danattherock wrote:
My only concern is which motor will be most reliable in the years to come.

IMO the gasser will be the most reliable in the long run with your type of driving. The emission system alone on the gasser is so much simpler than the diesel. The fuel injection system again is so much simpler on a gasser.

I'm a bit perplexed because you state you will not have a 68tranny and that's basically what's behind the gasser so why ask these questions? :h

And as always take a hard look at the other two manufacturers trucks that are produced on American soil! :W

Good luck and choose wisely...

Ane ask him while you are at it what is the ONLY Diesel offered in the F650/750, oh yea I heard it was the mighty CUMMINS!

Thanks for asking cummins... The 2016 F650/F750 will no longer be equipped with the cummins engine, and now will be equipped with a Ford 6.7 PSD and Ford tranny when choosing the diesel option. This provides better synergy and better overall performance with this pair designed and produced by the same manufacturer.

Plus unlike your RAM the F650/F750 manufacturing has been moved from mexico to the USA.

Thank you very much...

Who cares about any of this?

Does anyone here get paid by any of the manufacturers for waving the flag of a certain brand?

They don't care about you, they just want your money.

I have owned and towed with all of the Big 3, and I would own or tow with any of them tomorrow. In 2015, they all make great trucks that are more than capable of handling most jobs.

Brand wars are incredibly stupid, IMO. Why do Americans feel the need to constantly defend their choice and constantly belittle the other guy's choice? It seems to me that when all of the manufacturers produce good products, consumers win, as we have many more choices.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks man. We have been to Eagle River. We lived in Alaska for three years working as travel nurses, Nome, Kotz, and ANC. Still go back each year in fall doing remote float trips in SW and NW. And spend lots of time in Sept on Upper Kenai with our raft. Lovely state man.

Dan

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Danattherock wrote:
I plan on keeping truck till my kids are off to college. They are both currently in diapers. The $11k for the Cummins and AISIN is not a concern. Assuming this combo will provide more reliability over the long haul. I'm just checking with you guys and gals here to be sure my driving habits won't prematurely wear on the diesel. I've never owned a diesel so my insights are limited and my opinion infirm. Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan

Your anticipated driving habits will not be an issue one bit. Read my thread in here about a fleet of new Rams I tortured in the Arctic with respect to emissions.
If you plan on keeping the truck forever, you're looking at the best combo IMO. And as a bonus you'll pull every trip with the camper like it wasn't even behind you!
I wouldn't turn down a new Dmax either but the Mega cab is worth it. Only problem is you can't reach the kids to smack them when they are misbehaving because the back seat is too far away! (You'll understand in a few years when they start fighting in the back seat! Lol)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Danattherock wrote:

IMO the gasser will be the most reliable in the long run with your type of driving. The emission system alone on the gasser is so much simpler than the diesel. The fuel injection system again is so much simpler on a gasser.

I'm a bit perplexed because you state you will not have a 68tranny and that's basically what's behind the gasser so why ask these questions? :h

And as always take a hard look at the other two manufacturers trucks that are produced on American soil! :W

Ane ask him while you are at it what is the ONLY Diesel offered in the F650/750, oh yea I heard it was the mighty CUMMINS!

Thanks for asking cummins... The 2016 F650/F750 will no longer be equipped with the cummins engine, and now will be equipped with a Ford 6.7 PSD and Ford tranny when choosing the diesel option. This provides better synergy and better overall performance with this pair designed and produced by the same manufacturer.

Plus unlike your RAM the F650/F750 manufacturing has been moved from mexico to the USA.

Thank you very much...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
Danattherock wrote:

Here's the video I saw of the Hemi 6.4 struggling so miserably.
It was towing 12k lbs up Ike Gauntlet in Colorado. At one point, 30 mph in first gear, and losing speed.

Skip to 15 min and 30 sec and listen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BeWhXy_ciuM

Dan

Interesting video. Never heard I70 and the tunnels called the Ike Gauntlet. Must be a media thing. Anyway, having traveled that route many times over the years with lighter loads and lesser equipment I was impressed with the run. 30 mph with a 20000+lb gross at 11000 ft elevation was good, IMO.

Yep.. and it would have been better if the guy behind the wheel would have manually down shifted earlier.

but the TFL has strict rules against that.. they let the computer do the shifting. LOL

I would love to see them try to do this run with the manual transmission. Which I am not sure is available with the 6.4.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Danattherock wrote:

Yea listen to the "FISH" and be sure to ask him where his PS Diesel is made.

Ane ask him while you are at it what is the ONLY Diesel offered in the F650/750, oh yea I heard it was the mighty CUMMINS! Heck even my generator is a CUMMINS:B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
2500 with gas motor. 5-link coil rear means better ride and stability. As with others, fears about the standard auto aren't warranted.

Takes a lot of miles to warm up a diesel. Engine oil temp will probably reach op temp at the 45-mile mark while solo (unless the factory has some trickery happening). Then one needs that many more miles to boil off acids.

Low annual miles and light trailer mitigate against diesel. An Airstream needs 20% less HP than a box shape trailer to maintain highway cruise.

And the solo mpg reports are encouraging for the gasser. The percentage fuel cost difference is not favorable for the diesel in this application.

And with long term ownership, years out the gasser will need less in maintenance and repairs. The truck will time out before the gas motor needs replacement.

"Better ride and stability"?? sounds more like "your opinion", based on no facts whatsoever..

Diesel will warm up in about 10 mins or less with EB on, we're talking 2013 and up .. When was the last time you read up on the "modern diesel's" of 2013 and up, or owned one other than your 04'??? Less noise, smoother ride, DEF addition helps reap much better mpg...Low annual miles and light trailer DON'T mitigate against the diesel. :R

Diesel will get better mpg towing and possibly better mpg empty. ...Where are your facts coming from about all this information you've tossed out and won't be able to back when comparing a 6.4 gasser (2014 and up) and the 2013 and up cummins...??

Do you not understand the difference between leaf and linked coil? I guess not.

As to warmup I already qualified the statement. But no diesel warms up as fast as a gasser. Guess you didn't see his normative use.

And you need check fuel reports on the gassers. The percent difference between that and the diesel won't work against initial cost, operative cost and potential eleventh year repairs. The gasser motor is already overkill. You obviously don't understand this last part.

The OP will get what makes him happy. You, on the other hand my friend, need some education as to how the numbers work if spec'g the truck for the job matters. Not to mention suspensions, trailer design, and closer reading of the OPs intended use.

Wow, .I've met my first 100% genuine no-it-all:)..It appears I DO know quite a bit about the numbers AND also know more about the NEWER diesels than you do...I know exactly what the OP is going to tow, a little ole 7 to 8K Airstream, He could tow it with a 1/2 ton gasser...but if YOU read all of his post, you might see that he seems to REALLY, REALLY want the Cummins diesel with the Aisin...just like "I" did....I didn't need it, but I purchased what "I" wanted anyway....Heck, a 2500 with the Cummins would work for the OP, ( BUT, if you re-read all his post, again, he's pretty adamant about the Cummins engine), but wants the 3500 Mega Cab SRW with the Aisin...I quite a bit about the Gen 4 Cummins and the Aisin, as well as the 68RFE, I've only owned these trucks for about 5 years, but know about the NEW/NEWER one's, but nothing before 2010, (then I owned Chevy D/A equipped trucks as my first diesel's).

To "assume" you know more than others doesn't make you right......

YEA..........He knows..............He has owned SEVERAL:B

I may justtrade my 15 on a 16 to get the 900TQ and then we will be tied!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Danattherock wrote:
I want the AISIN transmission. It's a better transmission than the stock 68RFE.

It's not offered in any models below 3500

I won't likely buy a Dodge truck with 68RFE transmission. Not after what I have read.

Thanks for the 4wd lock info regarding AISIN. First I've heard of that.

Dan

Don't know what you have read but from personal experience and 65K on my 11 HO towing a combined 30K even with 3:42 gears I had ZERO problems.

This fluid had at least 50K on it.

But if you want the best RAM has to offer then you want the Aisin with the 4:10's.