cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't be lazy

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
We all do it. Unhook the weight distribution bar on one side then step over the hitch to do the other side rather than walk around the truck.

I brought the trailer home after having a slide seal replaced and did exactly as I described above. I've done this more times than I can count. Well this time I stepped between the brake-away cable and the trailer frame without realizing it. I came down like I had been lassoed! I smashed my left shoulder into the truck bumper before I face planted into the gravel.

I have over 80K invested in two previous left shoulder surgeries and I certainly didn't need this. I wish I had taken the extra 15 seconds it would have taken to walk around the truck. Time will tell what my laziness cost me this time. I hope only it is only a few days of soreness. Please think about this before you step over the hitch!!!!
50 REPLIES 50

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
I have always been adamant about going around instead of stepping over, but for another reason. No matter how much I have chocked and stabilized, I still would not bet a leg crushing on the chance that the loads won't shift or something wont fail. Pure and simple, the coupling area is a pinch point. Never trust any of that equipment with vital parts of your anatomy. Especially when 10 seconds spent walking around the vehicle can mitigate it.
Always leave yourself an out. While you are straddling your umm a'hem... over the WD, you have no out.

Thanks for sharing and get well soon.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

bobsbbq
Explorer
Explorer
I actually think about stepping over all the time, but I always walk around. Hope you get better soon.
5th Wheel 2002 Sunny Brook Mobile Scout 31BWFS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
robsouth wrote:
I'll have to point this out to the wife. Would hate to see her get hurt.

OK, it's not often that I actually LOL but that one did it. :B

OP, I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. I've only had minor shoulder issues and they're bad enough.
Hope you mend quickly.

Scott

Sorry to hear of your wipeout.

I step over the hitch all the time, virtually every time rather than walk around.

I have nearly done a faceplant several times, but I keep doing it.
And with a screwed up back, one knee and a few other things the last thing I need is to do what you did.

Thanks for the reminder.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. Hope you feel better soon.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to point this out to the wife. Would hate to see her get hurt.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."