cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual pane windows....

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well having a great holiday season hope you are too. Well a discussion came up about winter camping and if you RV camp year round should you have them? My experience is that it really does help out actually all year round IMHO...keeping heat in and keeping the hot out..would like to hear some input...just sound off if you have them. What is your take on the extra insulated option?..I know some builders offer it now as a just do it..it comes as standard. Just want to have a new thread as to everyone's opinion.
Oh and by the way..check out my dual pane conversion in the camper door...no one makes this... at least the last time I checked....it is in the university...sticky. I mean why have dual panes and a door that does not?

Sorry still trying to figure out Photobucket....All my Pics are blurry. Trying to find a solution.
33 REPLIES 33

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are also a fan of dual pane windows. Besides insulation and sound reduction we really like the reduction in condensation. We do a lot of camping in the PNW, think cool and wet, and moisture is an ever present issue. The camper door windows (single pane) tend to fog up a lot when cooking etc. It is relatively easy to keep the dual pane windows clear.

7 years and no failures after some pretty rough roads

Bedlam
Our last two campers have had dual pane windows and we like them over the single pane of the past. Arctic Fox used to a have storm window option but you could not open your windows with them in place. I think these would provide even better temperature and sound insulation but the hassle was not worth trying them.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
bighatnohorse wrote:
I've had two campers with dual pane windows and none failed.
Dual panes reduce condensation, reduce outside noise and provide greater temperature comfort.
BUT, dual panes add additional weight to the camper.

My Dometic windows are plastic. I suspect they actually weigh less than a single pane glass window.

They do weigh less. And the Dometic/Seitz dual pane windows help a lot with heat loss. Plus, they have built-in screens/shades and an opening system that is far better than other RV windows I'm aware of.

Yes, I own a pop-up with insulated fabric. Yes, there's heat loss. And yes, every little bit of insulation, including dual-pane windows helps keep that heat loss down.

Mine have never leaked in 15 years.

My 2 cents.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
MMM...good debate so far. I have had singles, a front window, single pane door, storms and dual panes. Glad to see the diversity of opinion. I only wanted to see your experience with what you have had and this is good info for this time of year...Me personally had no issues with fogging. I once stayed overnight at Timberline lodge where it was -50 wind chill overnight...It defiantly helped on that trip from my observations.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn’t consider an RV without dual pane windows. I have had both.

The noise and condensation alone make it worth it.

All the failures you hear about are almost always SEGI (bankrupt) in the 2000s.
They had a near 100% failure rate and almost everybody used them except higher end brands.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:
Dual panes reduce condensation, reduce outside noise and provide greater temperature comfort.

My Dometic windows are plastic. I suspect they actually weigh less than a single pane glass window.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
My camper doesn't have thermal pane windows so I made a storm window for the windows I want to see out. Just bought a piece of acrylic then cut/sanded it to fit inside the window frame. But a piece of foam seal around the edge then tape it in place when I want to use it. The rear one by the back door hasn't been removed in 3 years. The large dinette window gets removed in the spring when I want to open the window, it is removed and stored behind the dinette cushion. While it isn't exactly dual pane, it does virtually stops the condensation, definitely stops the cold draft, and rarely fogs up.

For the ones I don't care about seeing through or want light in, I just cut/sand a piece of 1/2" foam board. Even better than the acrylic.

When boondocking down to 0* F, these mods sure makes it a lot more enjoyable.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Photobucket? Once you pay their ransom price to use their site, the photos will probably clear up.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Dometic dual pane windows on my Northstar. I've camped in temperatures in the teens and was very impressed at how well they kept the cold out. If, for whatever reason, I got another camper I'd get the same windows.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would not have ordered them with our trailer because of their terrible history but it was a standard option. We have three seasons on them and they really are a huge improvement over standard windows. Much more quiet and the AC doesn't struggle like the old trailers did even though this RV is much bigger.
Our rig is protected from the sun when not on a trip though. That may be why the windows are holding up.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
I've had dual pane windows in 3 RVs now and have not had the seals go. I'm familiar with the problem as I have had them go in my house. Two Bigfoot campers, both with dual pane everywhere, not one failure over 25 years. Had them in my Safari motorhome too, no failures, but only owned that for 6 years. Maybe the brand/manufacturer makes a difference?

I like them, partly for the thermal insulation, but not mentioned so far is the noise insulation which is very noticeably better than single pane. In today's crowded and noisy campgrounds I'd buy them for that alone.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
I mean why have dual panes and a door that does not?
Because when you camp you have a curtain in this window most of the time.
Sorry still trying to figure out Photobucket....All my Pics are blurry. Trying to find a solution.PAY THEM

I have winter-rated camper with heating duct going into holding tanks compartments, but no return duct.
Meaning my furnace blows the air via the compartment into the woods.
Than cable compartment was open to the interior, allowing air flow.
The battery compartment has venting holes outside and no insulation inside. Similar for propane and generator compartments.
WH insulation has lot of big holes.
Why worry about dual pane windows when so many holes are coming straight from the manufacturer?

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, less condensation with dual pane, but you can control moisture even if you have single pane windows.
chartrue2@aol.com

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question about dual pane. Do they help reduce condensation? I've seen units with rotted out walls below the windows from the condensation on the inside.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500