cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dually ride vs regular truck

LA-REDNECK
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has lower back problems and riding in our current set up really has started causing lots of pain when pulling our fifth wheel. Does the ride when towing with a dually get any better or about the same. Considering moving to a dually or possibly a motor home. Any thoughts appreciated.
LA-REDNECK

2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
2017 Acadia
26 REPLIES 26

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dirtydan57 wrote:
With the rear air bags and my tires at about 65 I think mine rides pretty decently.

Same here. I have around 5,800# pin, smooths the ride right out!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Rich1961
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My 15 RAM Dually with factory rear air ride with the rear tires at 35psi rode as good or better than a friends 3500 GMC SRW short bed.

Loaded and unloaded the truck rides GREAT!!!

Sounds like you changed your position on the ride quality...

OP,
Depending on your wife's back issue I would seriously consider a Motorhome. If anything you can get up and walk around. We have a Dodge DRW 07 model and that rides terrible and has been retired as a daily driver (because of the ride)to pulls a cattle trailer ever now and then. We even put a Ranch Hand front bumper on it to help with the ride.

I don't know why your Dodge Dually rides so bad, I've owned 2007 and 2009 Dodge Duallys and I thought the ride was pretty good for Dually pickups, and both were setup to haul a 5000 lb slide in camper. The 2013 Chevy 2500HD I had before my current truck in signature rode harsher than the Dodge Duallys. Some of that was due to having to run no less than 60psi in the rear tires when the truck was empty because of the TPMS. My current Chevy Dually rides great for what it is. No TPMS on it enables me to run 40 psi in the rear duals empty.
2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My 15 RAM Dually with factory rear air ride with the rear tires at 35psi rode as good or better than a friends 3500 GMC SRW short bed.

Sounds like you changed your position on the ride quality...

OP,
Depending on your wife's back issue I would seriously consider a Motorhome. If anything you can get up and walk around. We have a Dodge DRW 07 model and that rides terrible and has been retired as a daily driver (because of the ride)to pulls a cattle trailer ever now and then. We even put a Ranch Hand front bumper on it to help with the ride.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
With the rear air bags and my tires at about 65 I think mine rides pretty decently.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
tatest wrote:
Lower back problems usually have more to do with the seat and how one fits into it than any vehicle ride quality issues. My lower back problems go back more than 50 years to an amusement ride injury in my late teens, and I've learned that what is most important is how I fit into the seat.

I've gotten rid of several vehicles within 2-3 years because I couldn't stay in the seat for more than an hour or so, kept others 10-12 years because I could sit in them all day.

what he said! I have battled back issues for years, my truck I feel great! the wife just bought a new infiniti and I cant sit in the seats for more than 20 minutes without starting the seat dance.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lower back problems usually have more to do with the seat and how one fits into it than any vehicle ride quality issues. My lower back problems go back more than 50 years to an amusement ride injury in my late teens, and I've learned that what is most important is how I fit into the seat.

I've gotten rid of several vehicles within 2-3 years because I couldn't stay in the seat for more than an hour or so, kept others 10-12 years because I could sit in them all day.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Air ride hitch or pin-box might be a consideration too, to reduce the chucking and bucking between truck and trailer.
Bob

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
My dually was really rough then I took pressure down to 50. Better. Next I will try new shocks. Really my winne class a rode much better though.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing beats the air-ride of a diesel pusher motorhome.

I think my dually rides better than my previous Chevy 2500 because it can handle the weight in the bed much better. With the 2500 I was at max payload and the dually is not anywhere near max payload. Bridge joints still cause severe jostling but overall the ride is good.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
No difference in my opinion. The difference is when the tires are aired-up hard or soft. When not towing, air them down a bit and the "daily" ride will be much nicer. Towing, air them back up. Ride will be rougher, but for a stable tow, you need the tires aired back up.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most trucks will ride better with a load in the bed. Now, if its overloaded or lightly loaded and not actually riding on the overloads, then ride can become harsh.