cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb question alert. Can I use 15 amp power?

kt0819
Explorer
Explorer
I was in full RV mode 2 months ago but then we purchased our TT (factory ordered a 2014) and life got really intense and I forgot about all things RV'ing, expecting our TT to arrive early July.

Well it's here and we are scrambling to find a campsite and try it out. Plus, I have forgotten a lot about what I learned a few months ago. 😞

I found a campground that is first come first serve (everything else is booked solid) but they only have 4, 30amp sites and 20, 15 amp sites. It is the only campground within 45 min of where we would like to go that has any remote chance of an opening so even though there isn't water or sewer we will go check things out. It's the Canada day long weekend and sites are impossible to come by (we didn't book earlier as we weren't expecting our TT to be here).

I have a WhiteHawk 31DSLB with 30amp power. Can I use a 15amp hook up? We would be there for 4-5 nights so I need at least the fridge and hopefully the heater to make it through that time. We plan to take a full water tank and be very careful about usage (there are free showers so we wont' need to use the TT shower).

I can't believe I am asking such a dumb question but I need to get back to the campground owner ASAP as to what night we can come out so I can find out the likelihood of getting a site and I can't find the info I need as fast as posting a question.
Wife to 1 and mom to 6.
Just bought our first TT
Jayco Whitehawk 31DSLB with ProPride 3P
2012 2500 Yukon XL SLT 4x4
30 REPLIES 30

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
clev wrote:
I know you're anxious to try out the new TT, but must you go on a busy weekend with no reservation? Why not delay until the following weekend, so you can get a good site with all the amenities, and really enjoy your first outing?

my sediments exactly.
bumpy

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a $10 volt meter that plugs into a recptical and always monitor your voltage home or away. If it does not trip the breaker and volts are in range, go for it. Shift things to gas as need. I ran my A/C on 15amps by mistake for hrs on my 36 ft MH. Nothing else was on Elect
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

clev
Explorer
Explorer
I know you're anxious to try out the new TT, but must you go on a busy weekend with no reservation? Why not delay until the following weekend, so you can get a good site with all the amenities, and really enjoy your first outing?
'12 F-350 SD CC, SRW, LWB, 4X4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front hitch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package.

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
I've never measured my load, but I can run the fridge and AC when connected at home.

I would bet it's a 20A circuit at home.

I have mine on a 20A circuit at home- for now.
My AC pulls 16.5A on initial start and 13A running. Not much capacity for anything else.

Like others have stated- AC not a good idea on 15A service.

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
You won't be able to and should not use the Air Conditioning. And using it and other items at the same time and letting it blow breakers and resetting them is not the answer nor is it a smart thing to do.

Agree with this, you CANNOT run your A/C on 15amp. If you do manage to have all other power off and get it started, you will damage the unit by running it on low voltage over time. Lots of people will tell you can run A/C on 15 if nothing blows, but you shouldn't. Don't take the chance and blow your new unit.

You will be able to run everything else, including the microwave (as long as not a lot of other lights etc are on) When I camped on 15am, I ran the fridge and hot water tank on propane to save the amps for the lights etc.

Bring a stand up fan to keep you cool if it does get to hot at night.
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
kt0819 wrote:
Thank you so much, everyone. I think the amp adapter comes with our tt through the dealer but I will make sure to double check.

If they were a good dealer they will give you a 'starter kit' which should have a sewer hose, 15' fresh water hose, toilet paper, 15a adapter, some chems for the toilet and maybe something I'm forgetting. We got one with the last two trailers we bought from different dealers. It all should come in a box.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I've never measured my load, but I can run the fridge and AC when connected at home.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
When running the electric heater, on high it might draw very close to 15 amps, so best to run it on low heat. The refrigerator is about a 3 amp load (unless on gas only) and water heater if you have electric option is between 8 and 10 amps. TV is typically only about 1 amp.

Big users are the microwave - 12.5 amps even if you are running only 50% power, it actually runs at 100% for only 50% of the time if set to 50% power.

Coffee maker, toaster, and such have a amp rating on the bottom or other label. Should be in the 1000 watt range or about 10 amps each, so don't try running more than 1 at a time if on 15 amps, or 2 at a time if on 30 amps.

Air conditioner can use between 12 and 15 amps, the warmer it is outside, the more amps it will consume..

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Valkyrie1
Explorer
Explorer
I learned from hooking up at home. I can run the tv,fridge and lights on 15amp service,turn the AC on and it trips my CB...

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
You won't be able to and should not use the Air Conditioning. And using it and other items at the same time and letting it blow breakers and resetting them is not the answer nor is it a smart thing to do.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Couple things to add.

1. It would be unusual for the adapter to come with the TT.

2. In many campgrounds around here, the 15 amp sites cannot take a TT, but are for Tent Sites. I would suggest making sure your TT will fit in their 15 amp sites.

3. Have fun...:)
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

kt0819
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much, everyone. I think the amp adapter comes with our tt through the dealer but I will make sure to double check.
Wife to 1 and mom to 6.
Just bought our first TT
Jayco Whitehawk 31DSLB with ProPride 3P
2012 2500 Yukon XL SLT 4x4

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you know where to reset the breaker and you can access it and its not locked up.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can. We have done it several times this week on the Alcan. One of the CG's gave us an excellent list of what 15amp service will and will not run. I am saving it for future reference, Basically almost anything that heats up something else is iffy (hair driers, toasters, coffee makers, heaters, microwaves) as well as air conditioners. We can use one appliance at a time, either the toaster OR the coffee maker. We can also use the lights, water pump, and refrigerator. Be sure and find out where the breaker box is located so that you can switch the power back on if you overload it. Just be careful and don't try to power everything at once. lizzie

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
You can run the fridge, water heater and heat on propane....so the 15Amp will do you for lights...maybe the air and microwave will work if everything else is off when using...hey, 15amp is still better than no electrical at all...