cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Duramax, Allison, Tow-Haul mode advice

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We traded the '05 Tahoe in on a new 2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab with the Durmax diesel, Allison transmission, and HD tow package. We tow a Surveyor Sport 220 that weighs in about 4,400# dry with about 2,300# cargo capacity (which we never approach). For those of you with similar GMC/Chevy trucks, in what load/grade combinations do you or do you not use the Tow-Haul mode? Do you wait until the motor is working harder or just use it all the time when towing. I realize our travel trailer is nowhere near the limit for the truck, but want to strike a balance between economy and vehicle life...
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015
26 REPLIES 26

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
I also like TH on because the convertor is locked above 2nd, but since the lock-up box is going in I will not have to drive around town with it on , because you never know when someone wants a race...lol
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Without writing a book, in my case, it conserves too much energy. IOW's, when I come down a mountain I may tap my brakes several times and each time I do it downshifts. Then I have to add fuel to keep up with the turtles. Then it downshifts again and I add more fuel...................Downshift, fuel, downshift, fuel, downshift, fuel, downshift, fuel........That adds up.
Sounds like the perfect time to switch to manual mode for gear selection!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
fly-boy wrote:
I would not bother with T/H for a 4400 pound trailer. All it is going to do is decrease your fuel economy.
Please explain why you think that. Higher shift points does not necessarily equate to worse fuel economy if the power being transferred to the road is the same. The engine may be revving higher but at a lower throttle opening.
I have noticed NO difference between T/H on or off as far as economy is concerned.
In fact theoretically economy could be a tad better due to the lack of heat lost in the torque converter.

Without writing a book, in my case, it conserves too much energy. IOW's, when I come down a mountain I may tap my brakes several times and each time I do it downshifts. Then I have to add fuel to keep up with the turtles. Then it downshifts again and I add more fuel...................Downshift, fuel, downshift, fuel, downshift, fuel, downshift, fuel........That adds up.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
Use of the EXHAUST brake is recommended to use often, to keep it moving freely, and the other thing is to save the service brakes.
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

gscudder
Explorer
Explorer
If theres something on the Ball it's in Tow-Haul!!
Retire Abrams Master Gunner (Army)

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
fly-boy wrote:
I would not bother with T/H for a 4400 pound trailer. All it is going to do is decrease your fuel economy.
Please explain why you think that. Higher shift points does not necessarily equate to worse fuel economy if the power being transferred to the road is the same. The engine may be revving higher but at a lower throttle opening.
I have noticed NO difference between T/H on or off as far as economy is concerned.
In fact theoretically economy could be a tad better due to the lack of heat lost in the torque converter.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
When I'm towing the tow-haul button is always on...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
timdan94 wrote:
sayoung wrote:
salem wrote:
I put mine in TH when I'm sitting in my driveway getting ready to take off and leave it in till I unhook.

Same here on my 12 but I am towing close to 14k.
Exhaust brake only works when in tow/haul.

exhaust brake does work without tow haul activated. its just not as aggressive. I use the exhaust brake in everyday driving.

X2 with Banks brake
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS

timdan94
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
salem wrote:
I put mine in TH when I'm sitting in my driveway getting ready to take off and leave it in till I unhook.

exhaust brake does work without tow haul activated. its just not as aggressive. I use the exhaust brake in everyday driving.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, everyone - very helpful. It seems the majority consensus is to default to T/H mode whenever towing.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend you use the T/H mode all the time you tow and, as well, simply push the button for the engine braking system to operate. The engine braking system will help a lot when going down mountain passes, or really steep hills, and will allow you to not use the brakes as much. We have a 2012 GMC 2500HD D/A combo and the T/H and engine brake system work great when we are pulling our FW and boat, with a total combined weight of around 12,000.
John A. Lichty

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
salem wrote:

same here but I am sitting at 20k combined while towing, and yes I do have a exhaust brake via..EFI live
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
I pull quite a bit more than that and only use tow haul when i get in mountains.

x2. And even then I find it annoying in the mountains sometimes. I will tap the brakes and it will down shift and then I add fuel and it will upshift and then I will tap my brakes and it will downshift............I also get slightly better fuel mileage with it off.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln