Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eco-Diesel out towed up Ike Gauntlet by BASE F150

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
ED - Ike Gauntlethttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpcJJxhvPWU

One of the worst they have tested. Like I said, even a base engine 1/2 ton, such as the Pentastar will cost less to buy and operate, and WILL BE MORE CAPABLE AT TOWING A LOAD AT SPEED.
Feel free to look up the F150 3.7, 2.7, or the Penta-Ram of you can find it. The EB 2.7 is a pretty wicked choice, unless you have a hate on for Ford products.
Like I have been saying, this engine is a niche engine to appeal to those that don't mind compromising everything for the feel of a diesel engine in a half ton.

Flame away!
33 REPLIES 33

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm still not buying a F150 until they come out with a Harley-Davidson edition that says " 163 Cubic Inches " on the hood not that 2.7 damphool metric.

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
In all the pissing match going on here, did everyone miss the fact that the 2.7 EB was turning 6000 RPM at times to climb the hill? REALLY???? Am I the only one that believes such an engine isn't going to last long in those conditions? You can take your fuel mileage, 325 HP and 360 lbs torque all day in that little truck, but I'll take my 2000 - 2500 RPM over that any day!
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
x96mnn wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Actually it sounds like your the hater and have an obvious bias.
The "niche" market is fuel efficiency and not the nonsense you spewed - something it does better than the the Ford. The people that buy them are after low operating costs and don't care about racing up hills.
Both vehicles excel at what they do - but they are for very different purposes.

Could I give your contact info to the 7 guys at the Ford dealership who have blown turbos at between 70k and a 120k miles. They could really use to hear from someone other then the guy who sold it to them how great their ecoboosts are at towing.

The only people I have personally met that have had luck towing over time with the ecoboosts, tow less then 6000pds about 10% of their total miles. All complain about fuel mileage.

I will take real world proven examples over someone typing what they read!

Pointless thread, but fun to read anyway. I found this comment interesting. I frequent many online forums and talk personally to most Ecoboost owners I come across. I haven't come across one turbo failure. For you to know personally know of 7 is night and day from my perception. I have to wonder why your experience is so atypical?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
ED - Ike Gauntlethttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpcJJxhvPWU

One of the worst they have tested. Like I said, even a base engine 1/2 ton, such as the Pentastar will cost less to buy and operate, and WILL BE MORE CAPABLE AT TOWING A LOAD AT SPEED.
Feel free to look up the F150 3.7, 2.7, or the Penta-Ram of you can find it. The EB 2.7 is a pretty wicked choice, unless you have a hate on for Ford products.
Like I have been saying, this engine is a niche engine to appeal to those that don't mind compromising everything for the feel of a diesel engine in a half ton.

Flame away!

There is no flame. Not even a smolder.

Why does everyone think the Eco-diesel is a "tow-machine" in the first place? It's meant to get great unloaded fuel mileage, to which it does and occasionally be used for towing which it does also.
I'm not sure why everyone keeps comparing this with other half-tons and trying to come up with some meaningful results.
It's almost like trying to convince a pineapple it's a grape.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Kids, do you all need a time out? ๐Ÿ™‚

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Calicajun wrote:

Eco Diesel 14 mpg x 26 gallon fuel tank = 364 miles ๐Ÿ™‚
Ford 7.5 mpg x 36 gallon gas tank = 270 miles ๐Ÿ˜ž

Ford 7.5 mpg? Where is your logic coming from? My logic is coming from the 40% greater fuel economy the Ecodiesel got over the 2.7L Ecoboost in the Ike Gauntlet as a reference. That would make the 2.7L Ecoboost 10 mpg with a 260 mile range and the Ecodiesel at 14 mpg with a 264 mile range. So what are you basing this 7.5 mpg off of?
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Actually it sounds like your the hater and have an obvious bias.
The "niche" market is fuel efficiency and not the nonsense you spewed - something it does better than the the Ford. The people that buy them are after low operating costs and don't care about racing up hills.
Both vehicles excel at what they do - but they are for very different purposes.

Hear, hear...
Frost.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Three tow trips so far and all three came in at 14 mpg. I do drive easy going up hills but then I have driven that way with all my tow vehicles. I find the Ram Eco Diesel does a find job towing the loads it is rated at which is 8,600 pounds for my model of the Eco Diesel.

Eco Diesel 14 mpg x 26 gallon fuel tank = 364 miles ๐Ÿ™‚
Ford 7.5 mpg x 36 gallon gas tank = 270 miles ๐Ÿ˜ž
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Calicajun wrote:
I get great MPG with my EcoDiesel (3D), 26 mpg highway, 19 mpg city and 14 mpg towing a 7,200 pound TT. The Ford EB may beat me up the hill by a couple of mph but I'll still get to the finish line first. I don't have to stop for fuel near as often as the Ford.

Not exactly, Ford offers a 36 gallon fuel tank while only a 26 gallon is offered with a Ram Ecodiesel. Of you got 14 mpg pulling with your 26 gallon tank and a 2.7L Ecoboost with its 36 gallon tank got 10 mpg, your fill ups would be about the same.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay...objective..third party who drives a Pentastar powered Minivan.

I have no interest in hot rodding or driving the fastest up the mountain.

The Ecodiesel appeals to a different group of people. I happen to be in that group. I put 30k miles per year on a vehicle... I travel a lot for both business and pleasure. I am interested in the following

1) comfort (I need to be able to be in the seat for 10-12 hrs comfortably)
2) power (has to be able to move itself around adaquatly)
3) economy (30k miles per year is expensive regardless of the vehicle)
4) capability (towing, hauling light loads, etc)

I nearly bought a new truck last fall and I drove all of the Big 3 trucks. I don't need a V8 out of these offerings, a smaller more efficient engine option is great for me

The 3.7 Ford didn't interest me after I drove it... Seemed to have to spin to 7,000 RPM's to feel power...

The GM 4.3 is FANTASTIC... how anyone could talk bad about that motor is beyond me... Lots of power off idle...

I had the pleasure of driving the Pentastar Ram and the Ecodiesel Ram side by side right after the other.

The 8 speed transmissions in both trucks are great! No lacking of power in either truck. The ED had reserve power throughout the test drive. The Pentastar felt like it had more power. Plain and simple, from a pure power perspective 305 hp > 240 hp by a large margin.

The Pentastar is a proven platform, will get 20-23 mpg hwy, and cost a little less than a similarly equipped ED.

Payload has not been an issue on the ED 2wd Rams I have looked at... I like cloth seats in my trucks and the tradesman line with a few bells and whistles (cloth, power options, back up camera, IBC) still have 1400 ish lbs of payload.

The issue with the Ecodiesel is that it meets a narrow need... A need not everyone has...but a need nonetheless.. What other full size truck can I reliably get 25 MPG highway empty, reliably haul 1000-1500 ish lbs of payload, and haul a 7k lb trailer? No, I won't get 25 MPG hauling a 7k lb trailer, but it would not suprise me to get 12-15 under the right operation.

The EcoDiesel has absolutly nothing to do with racing up a hill, neither does the 3.5 NA Ford, or the 4.3 GM, or the Pentastar.

Maybe I am strange, but I am okay with a tv working while towing.. I don't expect the truck to be fast, I expect it to be reliable and capable of moving the load at highway speed which for me is 60-62 mph in the flats. That's my personal MPH limit.

The ED will be a pleasure to tow with... 420 lb ft of tq at 2000 rpm... It will purr down the highway... May not win races but it should be a low stress tow.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate post.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
I get great MPG with my EcoDiesel (3D), 26 mpg highway, 19 mpg city and 14 mpg towing a 7,200 pound TT. The Ford EB may beat me up the hill by a couple of mph but I'll still get to the finish line first. I don't have to stop for fuel near as often as the Ford.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
It is funny how some are saying that others are just trashing Ram. How am I trashing Ram when I am saying another Ram product is better for saving money? I also own a Ram too!

Also, that Ecodiesel didn't quite tow as well as most here are trying to say. When those guys tested the same Ecodiesel in the Cherokee towing up they Ike Gauntlet, they mentioned how the temp gauge started to climb. In the video the OP posted, you see that temp gauge start to get up to H before it goes back down again. Even DieselPowerMag who set up an actual read out for the temps said "With the accelerator stapled to the floor, the truckโ€™s speed dropped off to 53 mph, and engine temperature climbed to an almost alarming 244 degrees. Thankfully, as we crested the summit, the engine temperature returned to normal"

So how is running hot or close to hot towing well?
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
You don't buy a diesel to save money. Unfortunately people have been brainwashed into thinking they are.

Exactly, although I would say "You don't buy a diesel in a truck to save money". You pay more for a diesel for more towing power and more capability than the gasers offered. Diesels will save money in a car though. Ironically a car was what the Ecodiesel was designed to go into which explains why it is has no juevos for towing, but gets good fuel mileage.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD