cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ecoboost towing mileage

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
Whelp my 2011 XLT got me 10.5 with some hills going out to Riverhead ( 30 miles ). We'll see what I get when I go to Pa. in 2 wks. Didn't bother with the Tow/Haul mode. RPM's go up.......mileage goes down!
God Bless.

Phil
63 REPLIES 63

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
Point taken. My apologies too for seeming trite. I'm usually all over the place driving anyway. East coast so far but I will venture out West a little later on in life.

Thanks again.

God Bless.

Phil

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
2013zoeyzinger wrote:
Ok I get it with the mileage. Seems a little demeaning the conversation here. I just joined and I feel like a kid around adults who always know better. Maybe the put downs can decrease a little? I just like to get good mileage. I also like to race my truck at Raceway park and Watkins Glen so I do use both sides of the proverbial coin ( gas coin that is ). I appreciate the advice. Its the ' my way or the highway ' thing I never understood. Maybe I'm wrong and you all can correct me if I am.

Thank you for your knowledge in this matter.

God Bless.

phil

Zoey, Accept my apoligy if You think I demeaned you. My comments were not pointed at you or anyone in particular and certainly not meant to be demeaning or rude. My comments were meant to point out that all the focus mileage gets on the RV.net forums seems kind of silly to me. I mean on a 1000 mile trip that I am going to get 10 mpg on, use a 100 gallons of gas costing me nearly $400, a $45 difference could just as easily be higher priced fuel along the way during the trip from one area to another. I've seen and generally do see a $.20 swing in prices during any lengthy trip. Neither the price of gas along my route or if I drive 60 mph and get 10 mpg or do 65-70 and get 9 mpg is going to make or break my trip. If it is, my budget is likely too tight for me to take that trip and I need to stay closer to home.

Just my opinion, My circumstances in my post. Not saying it's right, wrong or anyone with differing circumstances is silly, cheap or anything else.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
Sure glad I started this thread with the intent for advice and how it's changed. Either way I got the info I needed so thanks I guess.

Phil

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I've always been offended by that logic. $10 makes a difference to me. Not because I can't afford it, but because it does...

I know, "you picked the wrong entertainment to worry about fuel". I did. And I can't stop thinking about it, but that doesn't outweigh or even taint my enjoyment.

sounds like you are easily offended. IMO complaining - grousing about the MPG issue is like butting ones head against a brick wall and then complaining about the pain. The issue is under our control we decided to buy a TT and go RV'ing, if it bothers that much sell the TT and the TV and buy something high mpg otherwise stop complaining.

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Just PM'd a question about just that.

God Bless.

Phil

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Use tow/haul mode. Enjoy your Ecoboost!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

pipefitr
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer tires I'm sure...

Marsland
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:

Keep your speeds under 65 (tires aren't rated for faster than that). Mine gets it's best mpg around 60 mph with my 3:55 gear set.

Which tires are you talking about?
1 (Re)tired DH
1 Terrific DW
2012 Keystone Bullet 284RLS
2012 Ford F150 S/Crew ECOBoost
ScanGaugeII

gjmosko
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 ecoboost supercrew 4wd 3.55 rear end and a 2013 Heartland 3050bhs with a dry weight of 6000lbs.I assume fully loaded we were around 7000 lbs. We just towed 650 miles from Akron Ohio to Myrtle beach SC. Use the tow/haul mode. My mpg was 9.8. The hills in West Virginia and the Blue ridge mountains in Virginia were no challenge for the ecoboost. The truck performed just as shown on the torture test videos.

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I get it with the mileage. Seems a little demeaning the conversation here. I just joined and I feel like a kid around adults who always know better. Maybe the put downs can decrease a little? I just like to get good mileage. I also like to race my truck at Raceway park and Watkins Glen so I do use both sides of the proverbial coin ( gas coin that is ). I appreciate the advice. Its the ' my way or the highway ' thing I never understood. Maybe I'm wrong and you all can correct me if I am.

Thank you for your knowledge in this matter.

God Bless.

phil

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been offended by that logic. $10 makes a difference to me. Not because I can't afford it, but because it does...

I know, "you picked the wrong entertainment to worry about fuel". I did. And I can't stop thinking about it, but that doesn't outweigh or even taint my enjoyment.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
JN_B wrote:
I always laugh when people ask me about MPG towing..

I tell them you have to pay to play.. and my kid's camping memories are worth more than a couple bucks per trip..

Cracks me up also. The difference between getting 11 mpg and 10 mpg on a 1000 mile trip is the price of a gallon of gas/diesel x 9 (i.e. $3.85 x 9 = $34.65).

On a 400 mile trip, it's $14.25.

If $15 or $50 dollars is going to make the difference in my entertainment, I'm guessing I should stay home.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
I always laugh when people ask me about MPG towing..

I tell them you have to pay to play.. and my kid's camping memories are worth more than a couple bucks per trip..
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Nice rig and TT! I'll try that with my trip to Pa. in 2 wks.

God Bless.

Phil

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
x2 - I get anywhere from low 10's to high 11's according to terrain and such. I also experimented with tow/haul on and off. Tow haul was worth an easy 1mpg.

Your driving methods make a HUGE difference in your mpg. If you are a pedal to the medal keep up with the flow of traffic kind of guy then you will get worse than if you work the hills and such.

I highly recommend tow haul with your ecoboost unless your load is very light.

Keep your speeds under 65 (tires aren't rated for faster than that). Mine gets it's best mpg around 60 mph with my 3:55 gear set.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow