Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ecodiesel and Nissan Cummins

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

here

Comparison, but not a head to head 'this one is better', just a detailed look inside each engine.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-
33 REPLIES 33

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
ib516 wrote:
Someone (the author of that article) GETS IT. The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is marketed to those who want fuel economy and will tow occasionally. The Nissan will be marketed to those who want to tow and haul heavier loads than most half ton owners, but don't want a 3/4 ton. Great stategies by both.

Ram has no need for the 5.0L Cummins as it's too close to the capability of their other offerings. The 3.0L was what they needed as it offers better MPG. Look at all the ads for the EcoDiesel. Great mpg is what they brag about, not it's HD towing and hauling capabilities.

Yes ! exactly
Horses for courses,they don't compete with each other , so more choices is good,pick the one that suits your needs.

No they don't. One is a 5 litre engine and the other is a 3 litre. A head to head comparison is pointless because the results would be obvious.

Did you even read it?
It was not a comparison in the sense of which is better ,in fact no statement was made as to a 'better'.
It was a dissection if you will , of each of the newest diesels on the market,no "pro or con" just a explanation of how each manufacturer approached design .
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
canadiankid wrote:
If Ram really wanted to make a point they could put the 5L cummins into their 3/4 tonne as a second diesel option. I personally think the 5L in a 3/4 tonne with the nice coil rear suspension would be great option.

THAT would be a good idea!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
What I find interesting is Nissan targeting the capability gap between the 150/1500 and 250/2500 market. That gap may be getting larger as the 250/2500 trucks continue to get bigger and the 150/1500 trucks are under CAFE pressure to get higher mpg.

With that being said if Nissan comes to market with 24mpg highway I would compare that to the Ram 2500 w/Cummins which is putting up very good numbers as well (24mpg highway per recent thread). If the mpg is close which would you rather have?

The last several years have brought some good trucks and drivetrains to market which is neat to see. I don't much care for the prices though.
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IMHO a real shame RAM let that CUMMINS go to the competition! I mean really who wants an "EGO DIESEL" ?

Back in 2009ish, Ram almost let that "other" Cummins go to Ford.

When Chrysler went into bankruptcy, Cummins was one of thei r larger lienholders. They were owed a LOT for supplied motors and now had an engine production line with possibly no trucks to put them in.. :h

They had discussions with Ford...:W

IF Ford had not made the decision in about 2004 to develop their own diesel motors, you can bet the 6.7 Cummins would have booted the Binder to the curb. Ram had "NO" bargaining power at that time.

IF the bankruptcy had been a year or so earlier OR if Ford had started their program a few years later, things could be different out there now
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
canadiankid wrote:
If Ram really wanted to make a point they could put the 5L cummins into their 3/4 tonne as a second diesel option. I personally think the 5L in a 3/4 tonne with the nice coil rear suspension would be great option.

I agree on the 3/4 T but would it sell up against the 6.7 and 6.2's Ford and GM are using. Would be interesting to find out. As far as the 1500 goes, they would have to completely redesign the truck for an engine that was 300 lbs heavier. The 3.0 allows them to use the truck they already have and that is why it makes sense. For some c0it can never be good enough because it is built by the wrong people.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

canadiankid
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IMHO a real shame RAM let that CUMMINS go to the competition! I mean really who wants an "EGO DIESEL" ?

Uhhh Ram does not own Cummins, so in reality Ram has no say in the matter!

I completly agree, so sad that Cummins is not in the 1500 !!
Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

People are already complaining about the Ram's payload, why would they want to decrease it even more with a heavier engine?

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
ib516 wrote:
Someone (the author of that article) GETS IT. The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is marketed to those who want fuel economy and will tow occasionally. The Nissan will be marketed to those who want to tow and haul heavier loads than most half ton owners, but don't want a 3/4 ton. Great stategies by both.

Ram has no need for the 5.0L Cummins as it's too close to the capability of their other offerings. The 3.0L was what they needed as it offers better MPG. Look at all the ads for the EcoDiesel. Great mpg is what they brag about, not it's HD towing and hauling capabilities.

Yes ! exactly
Horses for courses,they don't compete with each other , so more choices is good,pick the one that suits your needs.

No they don't. One is a 5 litre engine and the other is a 3 litre. A head to head comparison is pointless because the results would be obvious.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:
ib516 wrote:

Yes ! exactly

Exactly! As long as it has the big "C" under the hood. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:

Yes ! exactly
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ib1516 & Scott get it. I am not sure why everyone else has such a hard time with that.

The truck was not designed to tow RVs. And most trucks, especially 1500's, rarely tow much.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The two trucks and their respective power trains are aimed at very different markets.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Uhhh Ram does not own Cummins, so in reality Ram has no say in the matter!

Uhhh I never said they did.

Someone can correctly but the Cummins was intended for the RAM but Fiat wanted to use their own engine "EGO DIESEL" so Fred Diaz took the Cummins with him when he left RAM and went to Nissan.