cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EGR Failure on 6.7 Power Stroke

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a video on a EGR failure on a 6.7 PSD. I'm surprised of the idle hours this guy is reporting.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
27 REPLIES 27

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjstractor wrote:
ib516 wrote:
Ambulances live a hard life. Around here they idle A LOT, especially in the winter.

If properly equipped they should have a fast idle setting. Where I work we only idle if we need emergency lights running or if it's extremely hot or cold out. Otherwise we shut them down whenever parked off-street. Same thing with the big trucks, no need to keep them running if you don't have to. Some of our newer ones have the ability to run emergency lighting off of an on board generator, so they only need to run the main motor if pumping.

High Idle just prevents wet stacking and I doubt will help much with the EGR system.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
EMS/Ambulance units never run for 15 hours waiting for a call! Show me any Fire/EMS company that does this and I'll show you a chief that needs to be fired!

Even at a multiple vehicle crash scene with multiple extrications and or waiting for the Coroner unit to show up your looking at 4 hours tops. All these units have the ability to idle up when sitting for extended periods. At a scene the units at least ALL I have been involved with and seen for that matter stay running until they arrive at the hospital or back at the station.

If the Ford can't handle extended idle time, then Ford should stop supplying units for EMS/Ambulance use IMO.

Don

Don,
Ignorance is a bliss... You want to fire this chief? Link

BTW... I can understand your post full of angst since RAM owns 8% of this market and Ford owns 68% of this market.

Sincerely,
We Own Work....

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
EMS/Ambulance units never run for 15 hours waiting for a call! Show me any Fire/EMS company that does this and I'll show you a chief that needs to be fired!

Even at a multiple vehicle crash scene with multiple extrications and or waiting for the Coroner unit to show up your looking at 4 hours tops. All these units have the ability to idle up when sitting for extended periods. At a scene the units at least ALL I have been involved with and seen for that matter stay running until they arrive at the hospital or back at the station.

If the Ford can't handle extended idle time, then Ford should stop supplying units for EMS/Ambulance use IMO.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:

If properly equipped they should have a fast idle setting.

Suspect a high idle isn't nearly enough to keep an EGR from failing over time with the overall amount of time an ambulance spends idling, though the hospitals in my locale finally got wise and require the ambulance jockeys to shut 'em down when they are parked at the ER entrance offloading.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"hammer down until the smoke clears out" ?

This his way of keeping the EGR clean. New diesels DON'T SMOKE !
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they are worried about running it cold (Not likely in Atlanta) use the block heater!!
2,500 hours in 120,000 miles, that is just under 105 DAYS of idling time WAY TOO much!
This post is bit, misleading, in that it a case of extreme abuse!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
ib516 wrote:
Ambulances live a hard life. Around here they idle A LOT, especially in the winter.

If properly equipped they should have a fast idle setting. Where I work we only idle if we need emergency lights running or if it's extremely hot or cold out. Otherwise we shut them down whenever parked off-street. Same thing with the big trucks, no need to keep them running if you don't have to. Some of our newer ones have the ability to run emergency lighting off of an on board generator, so they only need to run the main motor if pumping.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Umm. It's not just the cold that makes one idle a vehicle. Y'all have any idea how hot and sticky it gets in Atlanta in the summer. 110ยฐ on pavement will kill you just as dead as -40ยฐ.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

tim_and_amy
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, I agree, funny how right in the power stroke manual it states not to idle the engine for extended periods of time.
Not surprised the EGR failed, it has hot exhaust gasses constantly flowing over it.
2012 Kodiak 300BHSL Ultimate with Fall Edition Package
2003 Ford Excursion V10 Sold!!
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L Diesel

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
That the EGR came from an ambulance certainly explains why it failed. That's a bunch of idling time, but if the ambulances are constantly on the road, either on a call or being shuffled around town for coverage purposes (and idling in shopping center parking lots, etc & not based in a station), that kind of idling time isn't unrealistic.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Idling a diesel to keep it ready to go makes a certain amount of sense . . . in Anchorage, Alaska. In Atlanta, however, it is what is gently referred to as "a h*** of a stupid idea." If there is any place on the planet where it ought to be easy to start a diesel any day of the year, that place is Atlanta. Atlanta, where 1/2 inch of snow closes EVERYTHING. Atlanta, where a bitter cold snap gets down just below freezing. No wonder that EGR cooler was clogged up with carbon deposits.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yeah, idling a modern diesel engine "to keep it ready" makes no sense at all.