cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Blanket question ..

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a Twin size Elect Blanket to help out with the sleeping comfort .. Opened it up and read the manual - quote: "Product not for use with inverter supplied power such as from a motor home or boat".. Now, I've just finished reading about 10 posts where folks say they use an elect blanket - even one where his DOG has one .. Is this your typical CYA statement, or is there any potential damage to an inverter (or safety issue) with using one at nights? I have an 18' Jayco Swift, and they're not real insulated .. 😞
There's NOTHING more exciting than to be shot at ..... and missed.
16 REPLIES 16

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
we use an electric heating pad in the class A and at home. heat from the bottom is better than heat on top.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Even better than a heating blanket is a mattress pad. I love how those warm up the bed before I slide in. Unfortunately I've had little luck finding a 12 volt version.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the down comforter.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I had a electric blanket, and back then they did not come with a warning to not run it on modified sine wave power. It broke the controller, and would not work again -even on shore power.

if you are on campground power, no problems. If you are on inverter power, don't try it. You can warm the bed while running the generator and run the electric blankets at the same time for 1/2 hour or so to warm the bed.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

There are 12 volt heating blankets--and they work quite well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
ottor wrote:
Ah******.... doncha' just love TT newbies? - Appears you're correct ... Appears I'll be havin' a warm evening! THANKS .. :S

BTW, don't use it in the shower either:B

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing better (well, maybe a couple of things!) than climbing into the bed after the electric mattress pad has done its thing, then pulling up the down comforter.

Though we don't camp in arctic climates, we usually turn off the furnace at night (cuts out the racket since it is right under the bed), and use the system I mentioned. Heaven on Earth!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use electric blankets all the time with our TRUE SIGN wave Inverter when camping off the power grid. One on the bed and the wife loves to sit around the trailer with one in her lap watching HTDV. We don't run them wide open but just enough to make a warm difference... No problems...

On the other hand you have one fail by holding it in your hand not plugged into a Modified Sine Wave inverter, I guess it knows what is going to happen to itself and dies of fright hehe...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
ottor wrote:
HA ... sorry... will be using hookups..

Then you don't need to use your inverter do you? :? :h

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
two words : DOWN COMFORTER
get a good one that has high insulation AND lots of stitching to keep the down from shifting .
A down comforter is really a 3 season ( not summer) device and works Very Well even without hookups.
Also a memory foam pad on top of our stock rv mattress makes for a comfortable night's sleep .
The best campsite like the one shown in the RV brochure does not have hookups .
A down comforter allows one to camp anywhere .

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Learned something new.

Never bothered to read that far.

Now I know to be sure to buy a PSW inverter when I do my solar project.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
Ah******.... doncha' just love TT newbies? - Appears you're correct ... Appears I'll be havin' a warm evening! THANKS .. :S
There's NOTHING more exciting than to be shot at ..... and missed.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
For whats its worth our electric blanket didn't work with a modified sine wave inverter but works fine with the sine wave type.

Good luck.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
ottor wrote:
HA ... sorry... will be using hookups..
Then you will not be connected to an inverter, so no worries then.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized