cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Tongue Jack Height

WolverineState
Explorer
Explorer
My 5 y/o manual crank tongue jack just bit the dust. Luckily before our trip next weekend.
I had been thinking of going electric and decided to order the Barker 32454 on Amazon.
Of course after I ordered it I thought...could I still open my Ford Expedition liftgate with this new jack.
My manual jack is 15" high from the mounting surface and the clearance between the top of the jack and the door swing is 6".
I cannot find any dimensions on this Barker jack and their customer service is closed for the weekend.
Anyone have one of these jacks who could provide me with height from the mounting surface to top of unit and distance from the center of the jack's post to the most forward edge? Looking for a reason not to cancel the order, but may have to.
11 REPLIES 11

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
it depends on your perspective. Sometimes you want to put the foot down. Sometimes you want to lift the tongue up. They're the same thing, but you are just thinking - do I want down or up.

WolverineState
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update for those interested. The Barker 32454 does clear the lift gate of a Ford Expedition by less than an inch. I rotated the power head 90degrees and it was enough to clear. A call to Barker customer service inquiring about an outdoor cover resulted in a free cover being sent also. Nice bonus! I need to follow up with Barker to find out why sometimes (not always) the UP goes DOWN, and the Down goes UP. I had thought I made a decent effort at cleaning the metal for a ground contact, but maybe not.

WolverineState
Explorer
Explorer
I found the Barker installation manual on-line and it does say this model can have it's powerhead rotated if there's a clearance issue with the liftgate. So I guess i'll take a gamble and see if it works with my Expeditions liftgate.
Thanks for the replies.

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
The tailgate on my 2010 Silverado drops right down past the electric jack.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I just put a longer hitch draw bar on mine. It was a no brainer, manual was just not going to happen anymore. 12 years of cranking by hand and I promised myself next trailer - no more cranking.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
You'll be hard pressed to find an electric jack, using typical clearance distances involved, to allow for your tailgate to fold completely down.

The head on my LCI power tongue jack that came stock with my Coachmen Freedom Express was so large it prevented me from lowering my truck's tailgate fully and without drilling additional holes in the base plate it couldn't be rotated. I replaced it with an UltraFab 3502 because I'd owned one before and knew the head was about as small as they get and the base plate does have additional holes so the jack can be rotated. Unlike most other power tongue jacks the UltraFab is also all metal construction. Forum pundits would diss the UltraFab but it works well for me and does solve the tailgate clearance issue. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be hard pressed to find an electric jack, using typical clearance distances involved, to allow for your tailgate to fold completely down. It is about how the actuator mechanism in the jack is built, for the resulting height.

Some users are able to turn the jack on the tongue so jack motor interference is eliminated. You may be able to drill some different holes so your Barker can do that. It may not work because typical truck tail gates are just too long and reach over the jack location. Measurement gets important, here.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't been able to drop the tailgate on my truck yet. Two different trucks, two different power tongue jacks, two different WDH hitches.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
Laydown tailgate like a pickup or side swinging gate?

Does your existing manual allow the gate to be dropped down, or swing out fully?

Amazon returns are easy....if it was an Amazon sold item.

Longer shank ball mounts are available also.

I cannot fully lay down the tailgate on my truck with a Husky power jack.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my manual with the exact manual model.

It was cheap, I knew it would work and it is the last vestige of exercise I get since we bought a TT. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I doubt it - they're quite tall.
I used a longer shank to have enough clearance. Even so, my trailer needs to be almost perfectly in-line with the truck to lower the tail gate.
Nothings easy is it!