cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical problem

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 99 Bigfoot camper. Tonight I was sitting in the camper when all of a sudden all the plug ins when dead. The microwave has no power and neither do the plugs. I checked the power and there is power at the cord. Just to make sure I plugged into another plug. No power in the camper. I do have power to my charger. I have flipped the main switch on and off. No help. I wasn't using that much power. I was charging my computer and using my Nebulizer. I am thinking that maybe the main panel is gone or the main switch went south. The charger was changed 4 years ago and it has power to it. I can see the green light. Any ideas?
25 REPLIES 25

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Z-Peller wrote:
GFI plug outlet in galley near sink controls all the inside outlets in my Bigfoot camper. This is likely your problem. Reset that GFI to power up all inside plugs.

Ground Fault Interrupters like a thermal circuit breaker have a finite lifespan (some sooner, a lot sooner) that others, depending on manufacture. IOW, they don't last forever and some have a very short lifespan...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
rutzbeck wrote:
I think that is the problem. It won't stay reset. So I will have to get it changed. The charging for the batteries is working fine. Thank you for your help.

problem may not be "IN" the GFI. external causing gfi to trip.
bumpy

Yeah. Sounds like the GFI is doing its job of protecting you from a ground FAULT problem. Prolly the campground's wiring.
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rutzbeck wrote:
I think that is the problem. It won't stay reset. So I will have to get it changed. The charging for the batteries is working fine. Thank you for your help.

problem may not be "IN" the GFI. external causing gfi to trip.
bumpy

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
GFI plug outlet in galley near sink controls all the inside outlets in my Bigfoot camper. This is likely your problem. Reset that GFI to power up all inside plugs.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Tucker2
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought but you could have lost a phase or a neutral if plug into shore power.

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Check the GFI (inside) your camper, probably two of them.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
So I am at a National park in Alaska teaching for them. They have me plugged into a GFI and it has been raining. I changed to another GFI in the garage and it didn't work there either. I have a LED light on my extension cord and it says it has power. I will try an non GFI tonight. I'm still not sure I am getting power to the charger. I have a green light at the Charger/converter but the battery level says full but not charging. It sometimes sticks so I am just watching it. If it isn't charging the batteries can I borrow a charger and put it on the batteries?

I would have to go out of the park to try the generator. They are not great with the idea of the camper let alone a generator running.

It was weird, no smell, no pop just a wind down like a generator going off.
Thank you for your help.

gpascazio
Explorer
Explorer
Haf the same rhing happen to me. Like Bumpy said check the reaet on the GFI outlet
2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GFI?????????????
bumpy

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a generator, try that. Maybe the campground power is bad.

Does the converter have any type of fuse? If you know the model check the manual or Google to see what you can find.

Also, you could ask a mod to move this thread to the general tech help forum.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member