cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

elkhorn camper

trapper704
Explorer
Explorer
Will an 97 9ft elkhorn camper fit in a 09 chev truckbed? thanks I have an opportunity to buy one at a good price but need to know if it will fit in my pickup bed, at 59 in width. thanks
12 REPLIES 12

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Great - congrats. Bought my Angler new (it's the smaller version of Elkhorn) and had a ball with it. Never had much trouble, just minor stuff - only reason I sold it was no AC and no power jacks -

Lots of folks on here say Fleetwood is a 'cheap camper', and maybe so, not a high quality build and not a high quality finish, but I sure got a lot of use out of mine and put a lots of nights camping with it in the back-country all across the USA ...

Just watch the seams and seals and do your maintenance and you'll like it. Take care of it and it will take care of you -- happy camping.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

trapper704
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I bought the elkhorn and think We are really going to like it Width wise had about an inch to play with on drivers side,
but had to put 2x 4s under it to keep from rubbing side rails

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Quick trip wrote:
Not only what is being discussed but what about the top of the bed rails as they are now higher than a few years back!
Won't that have something to do with the main part of the camper which sits over the side rails?
just asking???

That's an easy measurement.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I had my '03 Fleetwood Elkhorn in a 2007 Chevy, new body style truck. It did fit but it was close. The little bump out at the back on the driver's side for the plumbing caused problems. I couldn't load the camper centered on the truck. I had to load it all the way against the passenger side wheel well. This left enough room on the driver's side for the bump out to fit inside the tailgate opening. It only ended up being off center by 2 inches or so.
What was aggravating was that the camper was already heavier on the passenger side. The off center loading increased the weight bias that direction even more. Good thing I had air bags that I could run different pressure in. I think it was about a 20 psi difference to level the rig.
Clearance on the bed rails was no problem. Clearance above the truck cab was no problem.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had a Fleetwood camper for years - and loved it. Only thing about Fleetwood, has a tendency to leak on seams and seals.

SO, easy enough to fix and maintain on your own, but look very carefully at the seams and seals before you buy it and watch that is hasn't got any water damage inside. Otherwise, I had good luck with mine for a lot of camping years.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Quick_trip
Explorer
Explorer
Not only what is being discussed but what about the top of the bed rails as they are now higher than a few years back!
Won't that have something to do with the main part of the camper which sits over the side rails?
just asking???

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
I thought they "fixed" the too narrow tailgate opening by now?.. my 92 GMC had it, as does my 96 Dually. Frustrating trying to load a camper that has the "bump out" where the bathroom is in shorter campers. I've found that the larger, 10 1/2' or larger campers are actually easier to load in these trucks as the "bump out" for the bath is outside the tailgate opening. That said, all ya need to do is measure that section and the tailgate opening on your truck.

Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Butch50 wrote:
starcraft69 wrote:
Yes it will. I have a 97 caribou and a 2007 chevy Its a great fit. The elkhorn and caribou and elkhorn just about the same. They are great campers.

I wouldn't be to quick about that as in the later years the bed was redesigned and has a curve in the corners of the bed that decreases the amount of room. Then do a trial fit to see if indeed well fit.

I know what your talking about I have a chevy. This was somthing I learned about when picking out truck and camper. I am confidant that it will fit, But a test fit first is allways a good idea
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
Yes it will. I have a 97 caribou and a 2007 chevy Its a great fit. The elkhorn and caribou and elkhorn just about the same. They are great campers.

I wouldn't be to quick about that as in the later years the bed was redesigned and has a curve in the corners of the bed that decreases the amount of room. Then do a trial fit to see if indeed well fit.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it will. I have a 97 caribou and a 2007 chevy Its a great fit. The elkhorn and caribou are just about the same. They are great campers.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Well generaly-but..
some ours included may have bump outs for plumbing etc. Ours the last foot or so that is in bed on the drivers side is a box thats a good 6" deep full height, So actual width of box at rear is approx 54"+/-. But note that the extra 6" is on one side--so 24" from center of bed to right tail gate opening-30" to left side. Or
Im pretty close to right wheel well to get the rear of camper to clear left side tailgate opening.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

sleekcrafter
Explorer II
Explorer II
the TC are in general 48" wide, same as a 4X8 sheet of plywood.
2001 7.3L F350 CC SB DRW BTS auto, Elkhorn 11X TC, 31 Jayco Designer, 1979 Belco Tunnel Dragster DragBoat