cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equal-i-zer lubrication

RonRN18
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to owning a trailer and I have an Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch. I see they say to only use their brand of lubricant on the hitch. I can not find ANY store locally that has even heard of their brand of lubricant. I've heard different answers as to what else I can use. I've heard white lithium grease and I've heard DRY silicone spray. My gut tells me that white lithium grease would be good. On my first outing, I didn't have any lubricant and it was VERY loud. I ordered some Equal-i-zer brand lubricant which arrives while I'm out on my next trip. Anyone else out there have an Equal-i-zer WDS hitch? What do you use?
2016 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew FX4 with 5.0L V8
2019 Mesa Ridge 2410RL travel trailer
35 REPLIES 35

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I get news letters from Equalizer and the last one talked about lubricating the Equalizer hitch and bars. Iโ€™ve been doing it for years and using white lithium grease.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
I run with my L brackets dry to. I thought about ordering the pads but I never did. The noise don't bother me that much. I use bearing grease on the hitch head.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Maybe you'll get lucky and the additional slide jacket thickness will add enough added pressure to adjust the hitch.
If the shop won't give you some of the spacers just go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy some grade 8 washers. You typically have to look in the specialty fasteners drawers to find these. True the washers are larger in diameter than the spacers, but that's only a cosmetic issue.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

RonRN18
Explorer
Explorer
I had read the manual, but I apparently had not seen the bit about "Sway Bracket Jackets." I ordered some last night and they are out for delivery from Amazon now. I'm at work at the moment... and I brought my trailer here so I could play while at work. I'll put the "jackets" on tonight. I have to take the trailer to the dealer I bought it all from in the morning for them to adjust the hitch... not enough weight distribution and for whatever reason, they did not give ME the extra spacer washers. I find it odd that they are an authorized Equal-i-zer dealer yet they don't carry any of their products other than the hitch, nor did they actually follow through with the proper adjustments prior to me driving off. I've been doing as much reading as possible during the past week about my hitch and other aspects of my new trailer.
2016 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew FX4 with 5.0L V8
2019 Mesa Ridge 2410RL travel trailer

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
The CDCโ€™s recommendations for healthy living are very seldom followed. That Equalizer does not recommend lubing the L brackets is way down the list for me. Jayco doesnโ€™t recommend carrying two spare tires but I do.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
Looks like a Bingo to me. From the manual:
"In some cases the friction on the L-brackets can generate noise. Lubricating this joint is not recommended."
Since they sell slippery pads for the L brackets, I would say that satisfies the "lubricate" function. I believe the only reason they don't recommend that they get lubricated is because it would create a HUGE mess.

My Equal-I-zer hitch has kept my trailer rock solid stable behind my tow vehicle for 15 years with pads on the L brackets and grease on the hitch head.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a Bingo to me. From the manual:
"In some cases the friction on the L-brackets can generate noise. Lubricating this joint is not recommended."

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
librty02 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
old guy wrote:
excuse me but if you use any thing on the L brackets doesn't that take away from the sway contr;)ol portion of the arms??

Rustycamperpants wrote:
BINGO. Post of the day....

Sorry, no bingo for either of you :W ... read Equal-i-zer's recommendations on lubrication.

It is a BINGO because they recommend to NOT (NEVER) lubricate the L brackets :S

Do you tow in the rain? Water is a very effective lubricant.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I use marine grease on the sockets and put a little dab on the L brackets. However, I towed our 32.5โ€™ travel trailer for a year with no sway control and didnโ€™t have any problem with sway. The Equalizer feels stiff which indicates to me itโ€™s working.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
old guy wrote:
excuse me but if you use any thing on the L brackets doesn't that take away from the sway contr;)ol portion of the arms??

Rustycamperpants wrote:

Sorry, no bingo for either of you :W ... read Equal-i-zer's recommendations on lubrication.

It is a BINGO because they recommend to NOT (NEVER) lubricate the L brackets :S
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:

Rustycamperpants wrote:

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Rustycamperpants wrote:
old guy wrote:
excuse me but if you use any thing on the L brackets doesn't that take away from the sway control portion of the arms??

READ tys the manual. It states that the L bracket pads reduce sway control by a slight amount.

Having used it both ways, I can tell you that is is a VERY small amount....IOW, I cannot tell the difference. So yes, get the bracket pads.
They work as advertised. For the head, I use a cheap wheel bearing grease. Works just fine.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Please take the time to read the manual. It will answer your questions and correct all the mis-information you might read on here.
Equal-I-zer hitch maintenance
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
excuse me but if you use any thing on the L brackets doesn't that take away from the sway control portion of the arms??

2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
RonRN18 wrote:
I am new to owning a trailer and I have an Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch. I see they say to only use their brand of lubricant on the hitch. I can not find ANY store locally that has even heard of their brand of lubricant. I've heard different answers as to what else I can use. I've heard white lithium grease and I've heard DRY silicone spray. My gut tells me that white lithium grease would be good. On my first outing, I didn't have any lubricant and it was VERY loud. I ordered some Equal-i-zer brand lubricant which arrives while I'm out on my next trip. Anyone else out there have an Equal-i-zer WDS hitch? What do you use?

I keep White Lithium Grease for use on Trailer Balls, Equalizers ect.
Even works well on an old Farm Bell.

I clean the surface of any dirt or grit, then apply the grease.